Quantcast

Subdivisions:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Lately Ive been working in these godforsaken, soul-less, mundane, pseudo-communities again, and I must say, they simply make me sick.
Anyone live in one?
Leaving aside all the cookie-cutter Mcmansions themselves, it's really amazing the things that the architects and landscapers do to make the little sectioned off "neighborhoods" seem unique. Today I was working in one where, just two weeks ago, there was a little section of woods that somehow managed to survive the initial onslaught of paving and grading the land. Had some nice hickories, a couple good sized oaks and maybe a persimmon or two if I recall correctly. Well upon returning today, the whole thing was leveled, and in place of those trees, I saw some migrant workers planting juvenile magnolias and some kind of spruce or something. WTF was wrong with the original trees? They probably sold the lumber, I dunno. Also at the front of this place there is a good size pond, probably 2 acres. In the middle they installed a big stupid fountain to spray water 24 hours a day. As if that werent stupid enough, when I got closer to it, I saw that the water was dyed blue :rolleyes:
Retarded. I guess this appeals to people who feel that regular, clear water just isnt beautiful enough. Who are these people?
Oh, also you'v got that whole big stone sign at the front of the place that always has some name like "Willowdale" or "CedarOakParkRidgeLandValley" or some stupid crap.....then you get inside and its a bunch of stupid houses, sodded yards and zombified morning joggers. I hate them. I really do.
It really is true about the suburbs being a strange place where all the trees are chopped down and streets are named after them.

I guess I should feel fortunate though that these people would rather be sardened together in these crappy communities rather than more evenly disbursed over the rest of the planet

Any thoughts?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I mentioned this in an earlier thread. In some areas in Va the builder is responsible for replacing trees they die while the home is still under warranty. Replacing a 70 foot tree is expensive so they clear cut and plant cheap saplings.

Probably the main reason I bought my house is because of the 'lack' of landscaping. Less than .5 an acre but .25 acre of, not woods, but trees and undergrowth. Just enough was cleared to build the house and a septic tank.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I will need 10 acres at the very least to maintain sanity.
Let's do the math.... approximately 110 million households in the U.S. Each one gets 10 acres....

That's 1.1 billion acres.

The U.S. is about 3.7 million sq miles... 640 acres per sq mile. That's around 2.4 billion acres.

So about 1/2 the country would be private plots.

I guess if that 1/2 was east of the Rockies I'd be OK with it.

:D

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
culdasacs/ subdivisions are the ssuck. One way in, one way out... they trap you in with all their roundabout streets.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the one dream I always have if I won the lottery would be to buy a lot of land... I'd be like Cartman when he bought the themepark, except not as dumb.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes, all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All go to the university,
And they all get put in boxes,
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives,

And they all play on the golf-course,
And drink their Martini dry,
And they all have pretty children,
And the children go to school.
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
And they all get put in boxes
And they all come out the same.

And the boys go into business,
And marry, and raise a family,
And they all get put in boxes,
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one

- Malvina Reynolds

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Lately Ive been working in these godforsaken, soul-less, mundane, pseudo-communities again, and I must say, they simply make me sick.
Anyone live in one?
Leaving aside all the cookie-cutter Mcmansions themselves, it's really amazing the things that the architects and landscapers do to make the little sectioned off "neighborhoods" seem unique. Today I was working in one where, just two weeks ago, there was a little section of woods that somehow managed to survive the initial onslaught of paving and grading the land. Had some nice hickories, a couple good sized oaks and maybe a persimmon or two if I recall correctly. Well upon returning today, the whole thing was leveled, and in place of those trees, I saw some migrant workers planting juvenile magnolias and some kind of spruce or something. WTF was wrong with the original trees? They probably sold the lumber, I dunno. Also at the front of this place there is a good size pond, probably 2 acres. In the middle they installed a big stupid fountain to spray water 24 hours a day. As if that werent stupid enough, when I got closer to it, I saw that the water was dyed blue :rolleyes:
Retarded. I guess this appeals to people who feel that regular, clear water just isnt beautiful enough. Who are these people?
Oh, also you'v got that whole big stone sign at the front of the place that always has some name like "Willowdale" or "CedarOakParkRidgeLandValley" or some stupid crap.....then you get inside and its a bunch of stupid houses, sodded yards and zombified morning joggers. I hate them. I really do.
It really is true about the suburbs being a strange place where all the trees are chopped down and streets are named after them.

I guess I should feel fortunate though that these people would rather be sardened together in these crappy communities rather than more evenly disbursed over the rest of the planet

Any thoughts?
exhibit A:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152362&highlight=dream+house

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Let's do the math.... approximately 110 million households in the U.S. Each one gets 10 acres....

That's 1.1 billion acres.

The U.S. is about 3.7 million sq miles... 640 acres per sq mile. That's around 2.4 billion acres.

So about 1/2 the country would be private plots.

I guess if that 1/2 was east of the Rockies I'd be OK with it.

:D
Did you miss this part?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Not to mention in some of those communities you can't sneeze without approval from the HOA.

Now that we're househunting again the challenge is trying to find a place with a reasonable size plot (maybe 1-2 acres...10 would be my dream!!!) that is still within reasonable commuting distance to work with no HOA and is in our price range. All these new subdivisions make that a bit hard. But we're keeping our fingers crossed. At least now that we're in Atlanta we have a better chance of finding it than when we were in Seattle!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, I live in one.

Of course it's not ideal, but we've got the biggest lot in the place and it's backed up to some woods, so it's about the best compromise we could find and still have an affordable place. Big lot, no housing association, quiet neighborhood and close to work/school - not so bad.

The squeezed together, 15-feet-between-each-house subdivisions would absolutely kill me, though.

I certainly agree that I'd rather be surrounded by 10 acres of my own land, preferably more. Sometimes you gotta make a compromise to meet the demands of a budget and a location. In any case, I'd rather my neighbors were not directly attached to my house.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
I just gotta say something. I plan those subdivision. There is actually a reason for the house being so close. Its called a "Cluster Subdivision"
The idea is if you have 100 acres and can but 30 houses on it, then you put those 30 houses all cruned together on 0.5-1.5 acre lots and you leave the rest as "Open Space"(land that can never be developed). At least this is what the Planning Boards/ZBA and the average american idiot wants. Personally I need at least a couple of acres, I don't want to see my neighbors. If I can't piss of the side of my deck its not country.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I live in a Condo. Can't do anything. Not even supposed to have a commercial vehicle. My deck is 4X8. I would like to be able to make it a little larger, maybe 6X12, but that would require special dispensation from the Pope. One neighbor wants everybody to "beautify" their "yard". F that. Cuts severely into riding time. One of the prime reasons we bought a condo, is the fact that we DON'T have to do yard work on a weekly basis. We will take part in the annual work days, and do a little sprucing up in the back.

P.S. I saw a low retaining wall in the back that I can practice hucking off, quite possibly illegally.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I must have....

And you're wrong - the vast majority of them would *rather* be on 10 acres, but it would be cost prohibitive....
In Tn, you could get 10 acres pretty easily if you were willing to drive maybe 20 minutes further. It'd be worth it to me. Land is cheap here in the country, relatively anyway.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
everyone wants to live on 10 acres, in a new 2500_sf house with a 3 car garage, pool, conviently located to work, shopping and resturants and all, but it must not cost more than $50,000.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
everyone wants to live on 10 acres, in a new 2500_sf house with a 3 car garage, pool, conviently located to work, shopping and resturants and all, but it must not cost more than $50,000.
I dont want any of those things but the 10 acres.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A newer subdivision near my house has several acres of community land with a small lake. People would walk their dogs, toss frisbees there, outside stuff. It apears the wrong people were using it as it is now fenced in with large no tresspassing signs, threatening the arrest of anyone outside of the Autumn Oaks community who dares step foot on it. Now no one uses it. I guess you don't need to go outside when you have a 5000 square foot poorly built McMansion.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yep, I live in one.

Of course it's not ideal, but we've got the biggest lot in the place and it's backed up to some woods, so it's about the best compromise we could find and still have an affordable place. Big lot, no housing association, quiet neighborhood and close to work/school - not so bad.

The squeezed together, 15-feet-between-each-house subdivisions would absolutely kill me, though.

I certainly agree that I'd rather be surrounded by 10 acres of my own land, preferably more. Sometimes you gotta make a compromise to meet the demands of a budget and a location. In any case, I'd rather my neighbors were not directly attached to my house.

You have 15 feet between the houses?? Damn...All the subdivisions and new neighborhoods around me are a max of 7 feet...it's gross. I'm happy with my little house and 1/4 acre.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to sooth the restless dreams of yooooooouth....

edit: add cheesy synth ending...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
the last 3 subdivisions i've built in it's 5' off the property line at the roof overhang.
Yeah...these are pretty much 0 property line developments...roofs almost over lap....If I ever moved into one of those, I'd try and get the one with the really hot next door neighbor...you'd have to put up blackout curtains to curtail any peeping.... :shiftyeyes: :shocked:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I get disgusted at how adjacent neighborhoods get disconnected. What I mean, is that you can get all around a certain subdivision, but if you want to go to the next one, you usually have to go out to the main aretrial, and then down to the next one - they rarely leave a way for bikes and peds to get around safely. Or, heaven forbid that they'd create good ped/bike access to local businesses....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The problem is people think they need more room in a house then they actually do.

Most US. home owners feel the more sqft they can get for the least amount of money is the best house for them.
So builders build sub-par homes, on flat treeless lots at rock bottom prices and the home owner with the 51" plasma is happy.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I get disgusted at how adjacent neighborhoods get disconnected. What I mean, is that you can get all around a certain subdivision, but if you want to go to the next one, you usually have to go out to the main aretrial, and then down to the next one - they rarely leave a way for bikes and peds to get around safely. Or, heaven forbid that they'd create good ped/bike access to local businesses....
I agree... most developers are all about making $'s... and using land for recreation means 60'x130' lots they can sell for $30k+...

however, lets face it, most Americans dont bike/walk/jog so its a rare developer who will cater to the minority that do.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I agree... most developers are all about making $'s... and using land for recreation means 60'x130' lots they can sell for $30k+...

however, lets face it, most Americans dont bike/walk/jog so its a rare developer who will cater to the minority that do.
I think more people would do that if they could.
Problem is it takes money to do a planned community and no building is willing to do that and not government is willing to do it either.
What most builders dont' realize is they will get more for homes that are in a nice planned community.