Quantcast

Sugar National

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Grab them by the hair and kick them in the face until they figure it out that we're sick of their crap.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Metal Dude said:
yeah, thanks bro
I've really just had it with Nationals and UsA cycling
those roadies just want our money! And dont care about MTB
150 Bucks for Pro license and what
do you get? No rankings for MTX/Slalom, No representative to
see that MTX/Slalom courses are up to par for national status.
These are courses that need professional design to be good.
We're still just a side show to them.
I've done every national but 2 since 1998 and have seen the effort
level on the entire promotion go downhill pardon the phrase.
So this year I am hitting races I know effort is put into.
I dropped my pro mtx license to semi because only nationals seperate pro/semi pro. Not doing nationals and not giving
norba the extra 100 bucks, or the satisfaction!
I hope the people who went to Sugar had a great time
Dont get me wrong, it looked like the DH course was good.
We just need to use forums to develop our series in the SE Again!
i was pretty much over trying to post my opinions about racing.
untill you just said pretty much everything that needs to be said as far as i'm concerned.

but here goes anyway.
here in the south, we have to be more grassroots than other parts of the country where bigger markets attract sponsers and race promoters etc...
we're spread out too far away from one another geographically.
and you'd think this forum would help that situation out.
but it doesn't.
i've tried using this forum to drum up buisness here at windrock.
sometimes it comes in waves.
but for the most part we're up here still with sometimes not even three riders to shuttle and ride.

you have a few people around who have experience with the buisness end of racing.
but they use that past experience to get on this forum and talk like some industry insider or talk about all the pros they know. or berate anyone who dares differ from them. that just leads to more resentment and further alienation.
that doesn't do us any good at all.

i'd like nothing better than to get a set date for one race every year up here at windrock.
but i have zero experience at putting on the size of an event i'd like.
so i'd have to look for and outside promoter. one with the interests of the racers first, and the desire to line their pockets and boost their ego last.

venues are another issue also.
loosing beech, wolf laurel and sky valley put a huge crimp in any racing series that doesn't end up racing at the same site over and over. we should all be thankful that sugar mt. didn't follow the same path.
let's hope they get the support from all you riders who went to the national.
keep riding there and let them know they're effort was worth it.

and while a series can be a good thing for drawing riders into a situation where they have to compete in all of the races to get a payout. (the snowshoe series being a classic example. they are lucky, being better situated to draw in riders from farther north than we can usally do.)
down here we should probably take a step back and focus energy on one larger event at a time.

i don't claim to have any answers at all. all i am is a trailbuilder and rider.
it's just that i see a few around who have the ability to get a ball rolling, and have done so in the past. but whether they're jaded by past experiences or what, choose not to be a driving force any longer.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
mtnbiker66 said:
So how do you go about getting NORBA to listen to and adress the racres issues?
YOU CAN'T.
and that's the big problem.
they are the 800lb. gorilla that eats up everything in its path.

they don't give a rats @$$ about gravity racing, but they're too stubborn to give it up to another organization.
knowing that someone/anyone could do a better job than them.
and they don't want that to be seen by the cycling world.

the only thing we need from norba is for them to get the hell out of the way.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
I don't mean to understand how to PUT on a race. I mean you might understand that Nationals are just crappy events to pay money to go to. Look at your experience at the US Open. Every Diablo race is just like that except that don't have the real-time leader board up and running.
You know I agree with you here.
I love the format of the Diablo/Snowshoe races simply because they cater solely to DH. Since I really only race DH, these types of events give me the most bang for the buck, so they rule all in my opinion.
But the Nationals simply just cannot do this.
They put on WAY too many events to cater to just one crowd.
It just simply cannot happen.
Could they improve the way they do things? Sure, but the Nationals will never be setup the same way as the Diablo races.
Now, on the other hand, if you are somebody who races DH, Slalom, and Super D, then you are going to get in more riding at the Nationals than you could ever want. You just better hope that somebody else is paying those entry fees for all three.:cool:
But one thing Sugar really pulled off this year was the atmosphere.
Maybe because it had the whole MTB tribe together at a cool location, or maybe it was all the XC chicks riding around in see-through white shorts,:)
In conclusion, Sugar was cool mainly because it was so close to my home. To me, Nationals do not make it worth my while to travel long distances to get to. I'll save that for races like the US Open.
But it was a ton of fun for sure.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
mtnbiker66 said:
So how do you go about getting NORBA to listen to and adress the racres issues?
One thing is to boycott their National Series and focus your racing at venues and promoters that give you something for your money, i.e. Snowshoe, Diablo, Mountain States Cup, Mid Atlantic Cup, etc.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dhbuilder said:
YOU CAN'T.
and that's the big problem.
they are the 800lb. gorilla that eats up everything in its path.

they don't give a rats @$$ about gravity racing, but they're too stubborn to give it up to another organization.
knowing that someone/anyone could do a better job than them.
and they don't want that to be seen by the cycling world.

the only thing we need from norba is for them to get the hell out of the way.
very true. if you have a windrock race i would be more than willing to volunteer whatever time i can to help out. i wont be riding since i dont have a bike anymomre but i all about helping. i dont know anything about race promotion but i will volunteer when the time comes as i am sure most people here would.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
... or maybe it was all the XC chicks riding around in see-through white shorts,:)
A car almost hit me because of that chic. I was crossing behind the Yeti tent headed for the car and here she goes in see through clean, white spandex with the saddle at XC height....geez...what a note to end my weekend on. :agree:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
man looks like the rock face got hella muddy or did yall fill some of it with dirt?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bizutch said:
A car almost hit me because of that chic. I was crossing behind the Yeti tent headed for the car and here she goes in see through clean, white spandex with the saddle at XC height....geez...what a note to end my weekend on. :agree:
Pictures please.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
damn why did we have to leave early i missed the hot ones.:redhot:

lol butch i dont know what your talking about that face was muddy as ****. shall we bring up the photos from last year of that face. it was nice and clean, this year, it looked like someone took a big dump on top, but the bottom was good lol.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well I just wanted to stir up things a little, get some reactions!
the best thing we can do right now is support what racing we have
in the SE. If all the people who claim to be DH, Freeride whatever
riders would participate, It would not only benefit better turnouts,
atmosphere and future growth for our sport! But back up all the
talk I see on Ride monkey. Half the people who are on these forums
must dream of riding or like to talk about it more than actually do it.
Come race day few show up and actually compete.
Most gravity racers talk about XC guys being the wussys, but
those guys are hardcore racers, they make races they plan to hit,
may place last, then go home ride rediculous miles and show up
at the next race to get next to last. But, they have fun although
it may not be as fun a ride as DH, they are committed to the
sport and that is why it is bigger here.
So if you ain't scared there is no excuse not to be at the
next race -DARK MT. with hells bells ON!