Quantcast

Suggestions for next years "fluidride" cups

Cheese

Chimp
Mar 26, 2007
All:

I don't want to be a downer but when discussing the idea of including more venues to a wonderful series thus far there is one glaring issue.

There are very few legal venues that are able to logistically host and have the proper terrain for DH, 4X or Dual Slalom races in the Northwest. I would urge all of you to get involved with your local bike club, contact your county and city officials, contact local DNR managers, make your prescence heard, maybe even try the forest service.
Use examples where a race series is beneficial to the community it is held in (hotels, restaurants, bike shops, other activities ect.). Show how a race series or a single race can benefit the entity you are speaking with.
Make racing an asset to your community not a liability.

Mountain biking, specifically DH racing is small potatos compared to many other user groups but that doesn't mean good things can't happen as has been shown in the last few years. Get involved at the local level and make it happen.

Cheers.

wicked out

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Huh, so am I one of the only lurkers or posters here that's reading between the lines that the "fluidride" races will not be returning to Port Angeles?

There is no information pertaining to PA on the fluidride site anymore...

It seems as though the ODS or whoever posted a reply that there will be four races there though? is PA branching out? Bigger and better things? Is the GRT returning to PA? I sure hope so cause from the sounds of it PA had one of the best GRT races on the circuit this year.

I really liked both of the Cup venues these last two years. What a great mix of terrain. Techy, rooty and fast=PA / Big, Rocky, Gnarly, and fast=Hood.

I think PA can improve on the parking, and bring back the BBQ!
I think Hood can improve on their logistics a bit. ie lift usage management. Maybe we can all donate 5 extra bucks per entry to justify using the lifts exclusively for Racers on event weekends.
Both venues ("fluidride" events or not) need new courses. Seriously.

Oh, and I really think it was a good call for both Hood and PA to make the official statement of "no unregulated alcohol" at the events. I seriously noticed a difference in atmosphere since then. Way more family friendly. Big props to Hurricane, and Ndub for this one.

laters

Romulus

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Please keep the ideas coming.

The Pro GRT is 99% going to be here again.

We're working on parking. We tried last year but couldn't get approval on short notice. Similar with new trail building, but be assured we will be working on this over the winter. Can't wait to cut new trail actually.

Last edited:

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Riding a computer desk.
More venues would be sweet. I second the idea of a race at Schweitzer or Beacon, it would be a good change of pace from the other stops and wouldn't be a complete logistical nightmare planning wise (both spots have facilities in place to host events). Whether or not they actually want to is different.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Broken Spoke? that was a disaster. we ended up racing the fire road.
I wasn't saying that it was a good course but that the WWU cycling club was able to work with the state park to run an event there. There must be hope for other areas too if they were able to accomplish that.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I didnt read the whole thread but what about willamette pass at another location. Im not a huge willamette pass fan but for the guys in southern oregon/ nor cal it makes it a little more worth it if we dont have to drive 5 hours to hood, or 7 hours to pa. Maybe its not worth it but it would be cool to see.