Quantcast

Suicide aint painless...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
A few weeks ago someone in my relatively small career field commited suicide; Saturday a freind and former co worker did. I dont know why, I know how and where, but those things dont really matter. I have met a few Monkeys, corresponded with others, got help from alot of you...and hope to meet a few more of you maniacs in the future.

I promise you, if any one of you ever thinks about taking your own life, you can come to me and I will go to the ends of the Earth to get you help. I will not look down on you, I will not judge. I WILL HELP YOU. If not me, ask someone...please. It does not make you weak. True strength comes from knowing when to ask for help...we are all in this together...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
It seems to go in waves. Last year I had three associates/friends go in pretty quick order. Never made much sense to me. My father once said to me "I'd rather have a son serving life in prison than a son in the ground." Those words have carried me my entire life.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm sorry to hear, brother. Yes, it does much more hurt than heal to those around you, no matter how much of an asshole you think you might be. If you are a big enough asshole, someone else will take you out.

On a similar front, there have been 3 "suicide by cop" calls in the last 3 months here and ALL 3 were vets. I honestly don't know if self suicide comes close to forcing an officer to do it for you. Don't put that on someone else, either.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I'm so sorry for your losses, and thanks for the kind words--you never know what eyes will read them that may have been needing them more than you could ever know.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
A few weeks ago someone in my relatively small career field commited suicide; Saturday a freind and former co worker did. I dont know why, I know how and where, but those things dont really matter. I have met a few Monkeys, corresponded with others, got help from alot of you...and hope to meet a few more of you maniacs in the future.

I promise you, if any one of you ever thinks about taking your own life, you can come to me and I will go to the ends of the Earth to get you help. I will not look down on you, I will not judge. I WILL HELP YOU. If not me, ask someone...please. It does not make you weak. True strength comes from knowing when to ask for help...we are all in this together...
Sorry to hear this. Been there, done that....recently.

It does explain the sudden mandatory "resilience training" last week.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Definitely know what you're going through.

Lost one of my closest friends to suicide about 4yrs ago. Was definitely a tough thing to deal with since he was only 26. Helping carry my friend's casket was probably one of the toughest things I've ever had to do.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
damn dude, it's a monday of doom. I have no direct personal experience but my condolences go out to you and their families. My current gf, lost her ex to a suicide. She came home to find him hung. To say it hasn't screwed her up is a understatement.

Aug 23, 2011
Moms, brothers son just took his life with a shotgun to his mouth. Moms brother was left cleaning up peices of there childs skull in some gravel. Had a freind and a kid I knew about both hang themselves the past year...not fun.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I have some feelings to share about this subject, however, I feel posting is not the right thing to do right now. I have an angelversary coming up that I need to concentrate on, though I will share in private if asked. Good for you, JohnE, for wanting/offering to help.....

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
It'll be a year in April since one of the first friends I made in college committed suicide. I'll never forget that funeral. Seeing his family and all of my close friends in tears like that made me wonder if he knew how much all those people cared about him and would've helped if he asked.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Got another one of those calls last night. A friend from childhood and HS felt there was no other way out then to take his own life. I re read this thread, and saw who the second Monkey to reply was...made me even sadder.

Folks...please, be good to one another. Help out a brother/sister in need, be there for those who are hurting. You just never know what effect your concern or simple kind words may have on another. There is enough ugliness in the world, spread some love, some joy and some peace.

Rest in peace Jon, I hope you have pinned your demons.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
This is just a thought..... Is there any way we can maybe, just maybe, have our own sort of "suicide/depression hotline"? After all, there are many of us that have been a part of RM for years, and have built relationships here. I know there are several here that I would reach out to, if I was ever that gone.

Does this sound like a viable plan, or would there be too much "go out and ride" feelings, and/or loads of sarcasm, instead of pure help?

I vote YES, and if the mods approve, well, let's give it a chance.....

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Sorry to hear John.
I've lost some close friends that way as well and it leaves the living with so much hurt and 'what ifs'.
Healing vibes to those effected.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Read this thread this morning.

Hour later I called my mom, she told me a friends son killed himself, also a coworker of my dad did the same.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Bumping again...this weekend a childhood frined living here in CO, my only decent mtb'ing buddy (I roasted him climbing and such, he smoked me technically...) decided he had only one recourse. We were together last weekend, I knew nothing of his situation, he seemed the happiest motherfucker around. We tore up the beer tents at Sabroso Fest and couldnt fucking get a taco...saw Street Dogs shred the Denver air and were making plans for shows this summer. I am fucking gutted right now. Shit is pouring in on the FB and I just dont want to engage. Fuck this shit...we should all live long enough and be stupid enough to throw ourselves into a lion cage.

Again...I promise you, if any one of you ever thinks about taking your own life, you can come to me and I will go to the ends of the Earth to get you help. I will not look down on you, I will not judge. I WILL HELP YOU. If not me, ask someone...please. It does not make you weak. True strength comes from knowing when to ask for help...we are all in this together...

National Suicide Hotline

1-800-273-8255

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Bumping again...this weekend a childhood frined living here in CO, my only decent mtb'ing buddy (I roasted him climbing and such, he smoked me technically...) decided he had only one recourse. We were together last weekend, I knew nothing of his situation, he seemed the happiest motherfucker around. We tore up the beer tents at Sabroso Fest and couldnt fucking get a taco...saw Street Dogs shred the Denver air and were making plans for shows this summer. I am fucking gutted right now. Shit is pouring in on the FB and I just dont want to engage. Fuck this shit...we should all live long enough and be stupid enough to throw ourselves into a lion cage.

Again...I promise you, if any one of you ever thinks about taking your own life, you can come to me and I will go to the ends of the Earth to get you help. I will not look down on you, I will not judge. I WILL HELP YOU. If not me, ask someone...please. It does not make you weak. True strength comes from knowing when to ask for help...we are all in this together...

National Suicide Hotline

1-800-273-8255
so sorry man.
if you don't mind hiking, fishing or climbing with a dirty hippie, thats all I am gonna be doing this summer and always looking for bros to hang with.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I’m so sorry John. I know there isn’t anything I can say to help, except that I’m here and more than willing to talk anytime anyone needs it. Sending love

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you gunna pay my rent? pay for my surgery?

words don't pay bills....

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So yeah...been gone for a bit. Dealing with some personal issues and the like. Just wasnt feeling sociable. Some of you can understand, some of you can fuck the fuck off...

But anyway...in the past month another 2 of my friends have lost the battle with their demons (1 a childhood friend, one another Vet) and in the past year I "celebrated" my friend Daves passing (The WP party guru for those of you who have been paying attention...) and had another former co worker take his own life. This has all fucked me up to the nth degree, and I have spent more than a few hours trying to deal with same.

That being said, one of the things that has come out of the whole shitshow is that too many people SAY "...hey yeah, you can come to me..." yet not enough people are actually around or available to actually be there, or actually put their money where their mouth is...

If you have problems...if you need to talk...if you feel that you have no other options...if you just want to kick back on the deck and bullshit to take off some of the pressure of everyday life...call me. My handi # is 530 635 3397. I am robo call paranoid so if I dont answer, LEAVE A MESSAGE IDENTIFYING YOURSELF AS A MONKEY AND I WILL CALL BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My email is jal_67@yahoo.com...put something RM-ish in the topic block so I know you arent a spammer or another Russian bride wondering where her $$ is.

I mean it you fuggers...I am here/there/everywhere and will not judge, will not narc you out, will not be dick...I will listen and I WILL get you help...life is too short, too fucking cool and there are too many trails to ride, slopes to ski and beers to drink...dont end it before you have to...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Just had a bit of a goodbye ceremony for a friend yesterday. He took his life recently. We had a larger ceremony closer to the time of his passing, and yesterday settled some unfinished business.

It’s definitively painful for friends and relatives.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So yeah...been gone for a bit. Dealing with some personal issues and the like. Just wasnt feeling sociable. Some of you can understand, some of you can fuck the fuck off...

But anyway...in the past month another 2 of my friends have lost the battle with their demons (1 a childhood friend, one another Vet) and in the past year I "celebrated" my friend Daves passing (The WP party guru for those of you who have been paying attention...) and had another former co worker take his own life. This has all fucked me up to the nth degree, and I have spent more than a few hours trying to deal with same.

That being said, one of the things that has come out of the whole shitshow is that too many people SAY "...hey yeah, you can come to me..." yet not enough people are actually around or available to actually be there, or actually put their money where their mouth is...

If you have problems...if you need to talk...if you feel that you have no other options...if you just want to kick back on the deck and bullshit to take off some of the pressure of everyday life...call me. My handi # is 530 635 3397. I am robo call paranoid so if I dont answer, LEAVE A MESSAGE IDENTIFYING YOURSELF AS A MONKEY AND I WILL CALL BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My email is jal_67@yahoo.com...put something RM-ish in the topic block so I know you arent a spammer or another Russian bride wondering where her $$ is.

I mean it you fuggers...I am here/there/everywhere and will not judge, will not narc you out, will not be dick...I will listen and I WILL get you help...life is too short, too fucking cool and there are too many trails to ride, slopes to ski and beers to drink...dont end it before you have to...
hey John, sorry to hear you're going through all this. had been wondering what you were up to the other week as you've been on radio silence a while.