Quantcast

sunday´s afternoon excel fun!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i just got a gazillion lines of data in excel i have to process.

there are like 20 colums.... two which are important to me.
column, say A, and column, say B.

column A has a date AND time stamp in this way in one cell
1/1/2007 16:45:03pm

column B only has a number 0 thru 3.

am having a problem counting how many 1 AND 2 together, and how many 3 and 0 together there are on each day.

i´ve been thinking about something like IF column A is any given day, then countif 1 AND 2 on that sub-set...
am not getting the love with my formula combo and synthaxis. ideas please?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
coffee and there are lab programms just for that kind of size of data...get one from some student, it s really easy to create filters and rules on the most of them. don t know the name of it now...sorry

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Did you ever get this resolved, Alexis? Sunday was football playoffs, so I wasn't going to diddle with Excel... plus I was drinking, so it might not have helped you anyway ;)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Did you ever get this resolved, Alexis? Sunday was football playoffs, so I wasn't going to diddle with Excel... plus I was drinking, so it might not have helped you anyway ;)
yeah, but it took me a good hour tinkering.
put an extra column next to B =IF B=0 or 3, then 1, otherwise 0, same with the others.
that way i reduced them to 1 or 0.
then i used =day from the date.. which gave me the day only. copy, pasted that as horizontal, and made a formula to count if day in the new columns = the initial vertical data, then check 1 or 0...
then sum of 1s over total count = % of 0-3 over the total.. 1-2s came by simple math
made a graph and wrote a report to the boss.