Quantcast

{}{} Sunday GTM {}{}

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
@CBJ what size tires are you running on your gravel bike? I know you've posted this elsewhere but I can't seem to locate it.
The GT Grade is a max c35 so that is what I run. I run the Panaracer Gravel and I have been really happy with that choice. Its only when it gets really muddy uphill I loose traction and I like how they ride.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Awesome day of bikes, beers and bongs. Rode on some treaty crusty snow...and ice.

Pretty sure something is broken in my rear hub, though. It sounds like a Diesel engine and snaps with torque.
Are you on a Rocky? Apparently there is a warranty issue there. The pawl sizes were mis-specced to the drive ring teeth. A buddy of mine had his replaced not too long ago.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The GT Grade is a max c35 so that is what I run. I run the Panaracer Gravel and I have been really happy with that choice. Its only when it gets really muddy uphill I loose traction and I like how they ride.
hadn't you been on something narrower prior to that? i'm currently on 700x33 Maxxis Raze. I like them, but wondering if something a teensy bit wider would be nice. Frame clearance is a non-issue.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are you on a Rocky? Apparently there is a warranty issue there. The pawl sizes were mis-specced to the drive ring teeth. A buddy of mine had his replaced not too long ago.
Yeah its a Rocky, thanks for the tip. I took it to the shop today and the dude just shook his head. He said the distributer in Quebec has been taking 2-3 weeks to resolve these issues. I told him that's no bueno and he agreed. So they are going to take a look at the hub today/tomorrow and file the warranty claim and then let me take the bike back so I can continue to use it (until it really) breaks.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah its a Rocky, thanks for the tip. I took it to the shop today and the dude just shook his head. He said the distributer in Quebec has been taking 2-3 weeks to resolve these issues. I told him that's no bueno and he agreed. So they are going to take a look at the hub today/tomorrow and file the warranty claim and then let me take the bike back so I can continue to use it (until it really) breaks.
My shop (Phat Moose) here in Ottawa have the replacement parts on hand. My buddy with the Rocky brought it in for repair (not knowing about the warranty issue). They swapped it out on the spot. I really like my shop.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
hadn't you been on something narrower prior to that? i'm currently on 700x33 Maxxis Raze. I like them, but wondering if something a teensy bit wider would be nice. Frame clearance is a non-issue.
This is my first gravel tires before this I was only running road tires. Wider is better of course.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is my first gravel tires before this I was only running road tires. Wider is better of course.
I have 47 mm tires! Probably don’t need to go to that extreme. :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Denmark has no rocks and very few roots so 35mm more than enough also a balance between grip and weight. My only grip problem has been a wet root and muddy grass outweighed by good speed elsewhere and plenty of cornering grip.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@CBJ & @jonKranked :what gravel bikes are you guys on? I'm toying with the idea of getting an All-City Nature Boy for my commuting needs. It's a Cyclocross frame. Is there a major difference between cross bike geometry and gravel bike geometry? What I like about my cheap cross-bike now is how zippy and playful it is, but still fairly stable for a road bike - which is very important for riding in the winter....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@CBJ & @jonKranked :what gravel bikes are you guys on? I'm toying with the idea of getting an All-City Nature Boy for my commuting needs. It's a Cyclocross frame. Is there a major difference between cross bike geometry and gravel bike geometry? What I like about my cheap cross-bike now is how zippy and playful it is, but still fairly stable for a road bike - which is very important for riding in the winter....
I'm neither of those, but I went with a Soma Wolverine frame for my commuter build that you've seen and liked, iirc. Cross geometry. All of the eyelets. Sliding vertical dropouts and split seatstay for belts.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
gravel bike = marketing

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gravel bike = marketing
I'd agree except my Wolverine (and similar Salsa offerings and the like) are actually quite different from road or cx bikes. 50 mm tire clearance or 45 mm + fenders (my 47 mm + fenders are tight as expected) but with cx-ish geometry overall.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd agree except my Wolverine (and similar Salsa offerings and the like) are actually quite different from road or cx bikes. 50 mm tire clearance or 45 mm + fenders (my 47 mm + fenders are tight as expected) but with cx-ish geometry overall.
Salsa plus plenty of others have had bikes like their Fargo, Vaya for years. I lusted after a Singular Peregrine for a long time ~ 7+ years ago but never made the purchase. Gravel bikes is just the new marketing buzzword for bikes with good clearance that can be used on more than just asphalt.

I happily use my 29er, currently running 3x9 with rigid fork for my "gravel" rides which generally also encompass singletrack and road into them too.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
From what I understand, CX bike geometry is steeper than a "gravel" or "adventure" bike geometry. Similar to the difference between a road race bike and a road touring bike. I could be wrong, but that's what I gleaned from the 7-1/2 minutes of research I did on the topic.

@Full Trucker ... whats that fairly cool CX bike you got last year??
Advocate Cycles Lorax and it is rad. I dig it. Plenty of awesome options, many of which have been identified in this thread already. I saw an All-City something-something at a shop downtown and it was like BAZINGA that thing is rad. It was possibly a Macho Man Disc, but also maybe not? gNope, nevermind... it was a Cosmic Stallion. Good looking bike.

I'm neither of those, but I went with a Soma Wolverine frame for my commuter build that you've seen and liked, iirc. Cross geometry. All of the eyelets. Sliding vertical dropouts and split seatstay for belts.
I have a buddy in town with a Soma he has set up as a commuter with Nitto sweeper bars, a S/A rear hub, Gates belt drive (he works at Gates), and all the goods. Super rad bike, neat to see it built as an upright commuter.

gravel bike = marketing
Agreed that the name is a marketing thing, but the bikes are different than other bikes in spec and geo.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
From what I understand, CX bike geometry is steeper than a "gravel" or "adventure" bike geometry. Similar to the difference between a road race bike and a road touring bike. I could be wrong, but that's what I gleaned from the 7-1/2 minutes of research I did on the topic.
Isn't there something about top tube length too? Could reach be shorter on CX bikes?
Advocate Cycles Lorax and it is rad. I dig it. Plenty of awesome options, many of which have been identified in this thread already. I saw an All-City something-something at a shop downtown and it was like BAZINGA that thing is rad. It was possibly a Macho Man Disc, but also maybe not? gNope, nevermind... it was a Cosmic Stallion. Good looking bike.
There was a Cosmic Stallion in the stand at my shop this weekend. yes indeed, very bazinga.
I have a buddy in town with a Soma he has set up as a commuter with Nitto sweeper bars, a S/A rear hub, Gates belt drive (he works at Gates), and all the goods. Super rad bike, neat to see it built as an upright commuter.
how did he get the belt on through the frame? That's the one thing I don't understand about belt drives... how are they routed through the rear triangle? can they be "broken" like a chain can?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
how did he get the belt on through the frame? That's the one thing I don't understand about belt drives... how are they routed through the rear triangle? can they be "broken" like a chain can?
The Wolverine has a coupler on the drive side seat stay. It's pretty stealth... this isn't his bike but you can see the coupler in this pic:

This is my buddy Josh's actual bike:

Actually, he used to post fairly regularly as motionboy2 on RM back in the day...