Quantcast

***Sunday's GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Up early for work? I’m up early after not sleeping well, the expected culmination of working 11 of 13 days and having an especially brain-exciting day and night yesterday, what with the car pickup trip, going out to dinner (Linger), then performing in a challenging concert that I think turned out pretty well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thinking about an out and back to Georgia Pass, with a look down Jefferson if it might be doable.

Anyone local interested, likely leaving just before 9AM?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Guess whose going to RAP to do a landing gear change?

<-------Not this guy.
I love Rapid City. I guess it's getting cold out there though.

Morning! Both sashes that I am working on have been stripped of putty, de-glazed, stripped of old alligatored paint, sanded and treated with turp-BLO mix and are now ready for new glass which is what I am going to be spending the first 1/2 day with. Then it will be time to hang the lower sash of a window I finished on Friday. Hopefully there will be time for a ride this evening.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I like it too, but not enough to drive 13 hours with 1000+ lbs of aircraft jacks on an 18 foot trailer to engage in god only know what kind of fuckery a gear change will turn into.
In all reality I tend to agree, Rapid and the Black Hills are badass, a bit too far off the beaten path makes it hard to recommend as a destination.

Unless you like like techy singletrack for miles and more wildlife than people. :rockout:

I love Rapid City. I guess it's getting cold out there though.

Morning! Both sashes that I am working on have been stripped of putty, de-glazed, stripped of old alligatored paint, sanded and treated with turp-BLO mix and are now ready for new glass which is what I am going to be spending the first 1/2 day with. Then it will be time to hang the lower sash of a window I finished on Friday. Hopefully there will be time for a ride this evening.
What's BLO?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
morning! Hoping to get a dog walk and a bike ride in before bday party #3 for the kid. Tired today, coffee will help.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Certainly wasn't worth the drive for me.
Agreed, I occasionally go across the top on dirt road rides but don't bother as a MTB destination.

Georgia Pass didn't happen. 5 minutes after the lower Colorado Trail split with the Jefferson and the climb starts proper the snow became too much effort with all the roots on that climb. Just managed 13 miles out and back.

Until next year :(

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm an idiot and had too many beers last night. Took an easy flat ride this afternoon.

Spotted some Pisgah stickers at the trail head.

The leaves are getting gnarly. Almost ate it a few times...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I spend enough time on the road that I never close the door of a vehicle without double-checking that I have the keys...
I have two sets, one doe the Dakota, one doe the expedition. After the gear dump, I grabbed the wrong set and manually locked up. Didn't want to use the fob because people were still hunting near by and didn't want the horn to honk.....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What's BLO?
Boiled linseed oil.

Tough grind continued through Sunday. I broke a bunch of glass when cutting it so I wasn't able to finish the upper sash. Then I broke parting bead when installing it, the wood is bad quality anyway. The only issue is, where to buy replacement? Time to scout local lumberyards for 3/8 x 3/4 parting beads.

I got to ride a bit but the daylight is over in the woods by 5:50PM, I wish I had more time. 10 miles, some droppage, some slippage, fun was had.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
went family camping in a sweet remote spot in wilson creek that's sandwiched between where a tumbling rocky waterfall meets a cascading creek...left sat afternoon...risked it, as it is a single roadside spot and it's prime leaf peeping season. snagged it. set up camp. hiked and cut some downed trees on the trail (Woodruff Ridge) as we went. somehow broke my 1-day-old silky big boy saw. will be returning it for a new one. ate campfire food. dumped leaves on the fire so kids could have flashlight lightsaber battles in the smoke. got in a ride this AM, then we rock hopped for a while and drove out via the parkway. le tired, but kids were stoked.

this sweet stack o' rox (prob 75' high and a lot steeper than it looks)

was directly above this (a 3 minute hike above the falls by the campsite):