Quantcast

***Sunderp GMT***

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Thus far in my life, the musician that I regret not seeing was Nina Simone. She played in DC while we lived in Charlottesville, and we debated going but ended up not. She died not long after. Funny . . . I really don't listen to anything else like her music.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Thus far in my life, the musician that I regret not seeing was Nina Simone. She played in DC while we lived in Charlottesville, and we debated going but ended up not. She died not long after. Funny . . . I really don't listen to anything else like her music.
Watch this doc, if for nothing more than the brief section on Nina. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4958390/

'Who The Fuck Is That Guy'? The Fabulous Journey Of Michael Alago tells the astonishing story of a gay Puerto Rican kid growing up in a Hasidic Brooklyn neighborhood, who got on the subway one day and began a musical odyssey that helped shape the musical landscape across N.Y.C. and around the world. Directed by Drew Stone and produced by Michael Alex the film tells the incredible story of a cherished New York City icon. From rubbing elbows with N. Y. scene makers as an teenager at Max's Kansas City and CBGB, to being the architect of a rock 'n' roll renaissance as the 19 year-old talent booker at the legendary Ritz, to making history as a 24 year-old A&R exec, signing the biggest metal band in a generation in Metallica, Michael Alago was on fire. Working with artists ranging from White Zombie and Johnny Rotten to Cyndi Lauper and jazz legend Nina Simone, Alago was driven by a love for great music...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Will have to check her stuff out. I don't really do the RM style whitesuburbometal thing that most RMers listen to. I'm into a different white suburban genre. I have a soft spot for the Mo-Town funk transition days.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I was given tickets to CB a few years ago. Music was great but the crowd was filled with pastel polo shirted UVA fratboys laughing and making racist remarks, I walked out a few songs into the show. This was back in that symbol of progressive liberal america of Charlottesville.
that is fucked.

was lucky to see sharon jones sell out the orange peel in asheville a couple of years ago....easily a top 10 show.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Will have to check her stuff out. I don't really do the RM style whitesuburbometal thing that most RMers listen to. I'm into a different white suburban genre. I have a soft spot for the Mo-Town funk transition days.
lee fields and the expressions.....