Quantcast

Sunglasses for Contact wearers??? Help...

denver-rider

Chimp
Sep 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Hey -- does anyone have any advice on which sunglasses I can get to keep my eyes from getting so irratated when riding? I have "rigid" contacts -- not soft... and one eye always ends up red red red... and painful -- even after only 30 minutes of riding.

I am currently using motorcycle glasses that have a close fit with foam around each lens -- you'd think that would work. But apparently air is getting in on the right side.

I noticed a post in the UK -- an old post -- that talked about a "Visor" which hooks to the helmet. Has anyone seen those? Does anyone have any glasses that keep all air from their contact lenses?

Need your help if you have any advice... Cheers :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
heya, it sure is dry here, huh?

I have the same, but less severe problem. If motorcycle googles -- which i was gonna recommend until you said it -- aren't working, then nothing will short of some gel/liquid (if there is such a thing) from your eye doc.

I've see that shield on the Limar TT helmet, that might help. And I've seen shields that are clunky that velcor on the front of your helmet. Haven't tried it yet, but thinking of it come this winter.

If you can ride hands free, try putting in comfort drops (less/no boric acid) every 20 minutes?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Maybe you aren't getting enough air flow to cause the eyes to tear? Do you have really dry eyes? I assume you need hard lenses to correct your vision and soft lenses won't work. Any sunglasses I've ever used allow some air around the backside and you need it to defog them. But it's often cool and humid here and fogging is a fact of life. Probably the best eyeware for keeping dust out is the Oakley M frame. There are many sizes and tints of lenses available. Expensive but high quality lenses are worthwhile.

spec c

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
colorado
i have "rigid" contacts as well. i currently use oakley "ten" sunglasses and they work great for me. i also find that if i drink a lot of water/gatorade before the ride that my eyes do better. check them out though, i have the redish/rose colored lenses that work well in all light.

c.

-B-

Chimp
I wear hard contacts and usually wear second generation oakley frogskins or an M frame with a hybred lens . When it is windy I go for the m frames I never ride with out glasses at all .

I am down to my last pair of skins and can no longer find them Oakly seem to be too concerned as of latly with too much style as opposed to function as they use to be.

Russ

Chimp
Jan 25, 2003
Bay Area, California
You might want to check out panoptx.com. They're kind of like mini-goggles with a foam border. I wear hard lenses and use them for both road and mountain biking.