Quantcast

Supercross Thumper DH frame

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Supercross bmx just showed their new dh frame. Is it only me or does the look similar thing went a bit too far? I looking right now at my legend and the rear end, shock area and linkage is very similar. I know the implementation may be different but still it suprises me.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
may I be the first to comment that I thought that read "probably built with easton" not "proudly built with easton"

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well, they have clearly outdone banshee on the paintjob...
The funny thing is my friend used to have a vp-free painted the same way. The only diffferance was it was green/gold. For some reason it looked much less puke-ish.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
all I know is that Keith knows about it, don't know what'll he do... I think the paint is horrible and a bad rip off!! Haha it also looks like it will break in a lot of key parts...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I dig the color, toss on a set of gold/purple i9 wheels and the extinct raceface purple atlas grouppo and you have yourself 1 hell of a bike to ride on the internet

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The raw defo looks better. The front at least looks a bit different. Still the rear end looks almost the same to the legend. Even has a metal fender like thingy in the same shape.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Where in the spirit of American innovation does this fit? It's an embarassment.

Let's copy something, but make it worse. Sad.

This is most likely made in Taiwan, and that makes me wonder if it's actually a underground catalog bike...
Yeah seriously... if that isn't a catalog bike it's a bit extreme as far as copies go!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Would a catalog frame use Easton tubing?
Supercross are from the world of BMX, every bike looks the same in their world.

I'd own one.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i guess i'm the only one, but I think it looks pretty cool. Keep in mind a banshee looks like a zumbi, which looks like a karpiel, which looks like a....

I actually think it looks closer to a canfield jedi in terms of linkage.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Looks flexi

I kid.
Looks like a Trek.

On a serious note:
I like it. Like I like the Legend.
Maybe a cheaper option than the Legend?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i guess i'm the only one, but I think it looks pretty cool. Keep in mind a banshee looks like a zumbi, which looks like a karpiel, which looks like a....

I actually think it looks closer to a canfield jedi in terms of linkage.
The thing is we don't talk about suspension only (also Zumbi is different in terms of shock placement). The tubes are very similar but cheaper versions of what you see on the legend. The rear end especially even to the point of having a plate that also acts as a fender.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The thing is we don't talk about suspension only (also Zumbi is different in terms of shock placement). The tubes are very similar but cheaper versions of what you see on the legend. The rear end especially even to the point of having a plate that also acts as a fender.
lots of bikes have those design elements. It's like everybody calling every bike a sunday. Even DW says that a few MM here or there can completely change a frame design.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Last time I checked a year or two ago Supercross makes a lot of their high-end frames, forks and bars in house- with how few DH bikes people actually sell I wouldn't be surprised if these are coming out of Cali too.

As for "what it looks like" who gives a f#ck?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and now the floodgates have opened for bmx companies to pick a dh bike, send a picture to china, then slap their own sticker on it.

hopefully this ends better than cheeta.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so take a banshee legend, add the linkage from a jedi, change about 50% of the frame, and then some pinkbikers get mad? pinkbikers can't afford bikes anyways, until supercross starts accepting used PS3s as cash.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
lots of bikes have those design elements. It's like everybody calling every bike a sunday. Even DW says that a few MM here or there can completely change a frame design.
I think you argue for the sake of other bikes not this one. Some of the rear tubing looks almost the same to the legend. No other bike came as close. I'm fairly sure If I showed you pictures of rear triangles only next to each other you wouldn't spot the differences.
It's not the same it looks like a session because it has a vertical shock argument. I bet the front tubing would be the same if it wasn't so expensive on the legend.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I'm kind of interested in WHY bmx companies would get into this market. Is BMX racing getting tapped out? Is DH that profitable? Now that I (and even more so, my son) are getting into BMX racing, I'm very interested in this perspective.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
so take a banshee legend, add the linkage from a jedi, change about 50% of the frame, and then some pinkbikers get mad?
As the owner of a Banshee Legend, this bike looks exactly like a fvcking Legend. The rear triangles and linkage and shock arrangements are nearly identical. The only differences are the tubing in the front triangle and less machining around the BB/shock area.

I'm not mad, but when two bikes are this similar the first thing that comes to mind is copycat. However, I would imagine Keith at Banshee is mad that someone so blatantly ripped off his design (even if it is not all that different than other bikes).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm kind of interested in WHY bmx companies would get into this market. Is BMX racing getting tapped out? Is DH that profitable? Now that I (and even more so, my son) are getting into BMX racing, I'm very interested in this perspective.
I'm not sure about the US market but speaking as some who has worked for a dj and bmx company(I still occasionally do) the amount of cash in jump bikes is far greater than in dh. Bmx racing? Hard to tell. In my country very few people race bmx.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In this particular case it's because they want to win races. I like that.