Quantcast

suspension geeks rejoice

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i can't wait to see how much their services benefit from that, they already do awesome work. i've been thinking that i might try sending my shock in to them to see what they can do.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cool article, but for some reason I doubt the necessity of a shock dyno. Maybe I'm a tard, but just because my shock comes with a dyno sheet doesn't mean it's any better than another.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
cool article, but for some reason I doubt the necessity of a shock dyno. Maybe I'm a tard, but just because my shock comes with a dyno sheet doesn't mean it's any better than another.
I kind of agree, I don't think a piece of paper means much, you can get mail order degrees, why not mail order a dyno sheet? It doesn't mean anything really, it just tells you what the shock did when connected to a machine. On the other hand if they actually know what to do with a dyno I suppose they could tune a shock with a little more intelligence than just guessing at how a shock will perform or using the butt dyno that's pretty sensitive to the placebo effect. Now back to the first hand I mentioned, it's wondering how numbers from a dyno really translate into real world performance or if that's just a guess too.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
wow there just getting that thing, word on the street is cane creeks had one for a long time......

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I kind of agree, I don't think a piece of paper means much, you can get mail order degrees, why not mail order a dyno sheet? It doesn't mean anything really, it just tells you what the shock did when connected to a machine. On the other hand if they actually know what to do with a dyno I suppose they could tune a shock with a little more intelligence than just guessing at how a shock will perform or using the butt dyno that's pretty sensitive to the placebo effect. Now back to the first hand I mentioned, it's wondering how numbers from a dyno really translate into real world performance or if that's just a guess too.
If something ever goes wrong with your Pushed shock and you send it back, and they re-dyno it, they should be able to tell quicker what went wrong / what is wrong.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
No, you're not a tard... but it does mean that you KNOW (or can know, if you understand the diagram) the behaviour of the shock... rather than hypothesise...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If something ever goes wrong with your Pushed shock and you send it back, and they re-dyno it, they should be able to tell quicker what went wrong / what is wrong.
exactly. Morewood had an initial run Double Barrel that they said was acting funny. I was there that day. They popped it on the dyno and "bam" ...the dyno picked up a spike in the damping curve on the graph. Paul saw where the spike was, knew exactly which circuit in the shock was glitching and only had to take that circuit out and replace 1 tiny shim that was out of spec by 100ths of a millimeter.

Plus, a dyno can tell you instantly if a shock you just built from scratch is actually working near perfect, dissipating heat and providing a smooth damping curve. Otherwise, you build it and wait for someone to complain who's never even ridden a shock, tuned it,etc.

If you want your work to be dead accurate, a dyno reduces the potential for faulty shocks to make it out the door. Plus, with it you can custom tune a shock to behave a certain way and actually see a visual printout of your mods. Science and efficiency.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
A shock dyno takes alot of the guess work out of damper tuning, esp. when coupled with a data acquisition system. You ride your bike, collect the data, take notes, then use the dyno to recreate the good and bad stuff you felt on the trail and tune accordingly.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You guys can not fault a guy for meeting the demands of the bicycle enthusiast. All that hocus pocus on my suspension does not blow wind up my shorts, but there are 1000's of people who LOVE that sh1t and Darren@push is feeding their desires.
Just like our business, do people need expensive clothes? no, but people want it and are willing to pay for it.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Its a little baaaayby dyno! Awwwwww how cute! :) Seriously thats pretty neat. Never seen such a small shock dyno.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I just don't think you're used to seeing a high dollar piece of equipment sitting on the floor. :D
Most of the ones I have seen are so large that you need to put them on the floor, and a concrete one at that. :) I saw one recently with a 30" stroke. It was crazy, it stood 12 ft high from the floor.

Dave

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Most of the ones I have seen are so large that you need to put them on the floor, and a concrete one at that. :) I saw one recently with a 30" stroke. It was crazy, it stood 12 ft high from the floor.

Dave

Some need to be bolted down too. Roehrig has an electromagnet series that is so powerful and capable of running triangle waves (almost instantaneous velocity) that I've seen a 800lb beast hop off the floor in a demo!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A shock dyno takes alot of the guess work out of damper tuning, esp. when coupled with a data acquisition system. You ride your bike, collect the data, take notes, then use the dyno to recreate the good and bad stuff you felt on the trail and tune accordingly.
i've been waiting for this time to come. i know dw's written in past years about data acquisition being used on his test rigs but the industry has been filled with way too much hype and "butt-dyno" reviews to truly sort the wheat out from the chaff.

the car world is similar, too: you can tell who practices voodoo and puts their money in their marketing budget from the crowd that caters to the racers from the quality and quantity of the data they put forth.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
He doesn't wear socks?
LOL...yes I wear socks....shorties.

Its a little baaaayby dyno! Awwwwww how cute! Seriously thats pretty neat. Never seen such a small shock dyno.
Small but effective! Nearly 500lbs sitting there and capable of 1m/sec. They've just really been able to refine them over the years to pack mor punch in a more compact size. One of the units that I ran when at Eibach was probably 30% larger with similar capacity. DW, you'll be interested in the two poster chassis rig that we'll hopefully have in before the end of the year. :thumb:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Some need to be bolted down too. Roehrig has an electromagnet series that is so powerful and capable of running triangle waves (almost instantaneous velocity) that I've seen a 800lb beast hop off the floor in a demo!!
That sounds nuts. It must suck down an amazing amount of power to do that.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
©2001;2607381 said:
glad you guys are stoked! it was fun to make this.
Did it make you want to do more 'tech' features?
or does that stuff still not float your boat?

(I was just wondering, not being a smartass, because tech stuff usually bores me, but I enjoyed this)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Small but effective! Nearly 500lbs sitting there and capable of 1m/sec. They've just really been able to refine them over the years to pack mor punch in a more compact size. One of the units that I ran when at Eibach was probably 30% larger with similar capacity. DW, you'll be interested in the two poster chassis rig that we'll hopefully have in before the end of the year. :thumb:
What kind of shaft speeds are you seeing on your data aquisition?

I am interested in seeing this 2 post dyno. I have seen plenty of 4 post chassis suspension dynos since I work for a tier 1 auto supplier. However, I have never seen a 2 post. Are you planning to load a whole bike with rider on it? How do you simulate the rider? The issue I see is the rider to bike mass is so out of proportion compaired to a car or motorcycle. Anyway, it would be cool to see.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Did it make you want to do more 'tech' features?
or does that stuff still not float your boat?

(I was just wondering, not being a smartass, because tech stuff usually bores me, but I enjoyed this)
PUSH is rad b/c of all the science and deconstruction of so many different things, ya know? it was like being in a laboratory and the fact that they deal with bikes is kinda beside the point, i guess. if they were doing the same thing with computers or guitars, i think it'd be just as cool because the process is the best part.

also, darren has insane amounts of random fun facts, like knowing that some French high speed commuter train is running on Boxxer seals or something.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
very cool stuff. I don't understand any of it, but I like the idea of taking stuff apart and making it better. can the dyno also run at completely random compression speeds and depths, bottoming it out every now and then? that would seem to be a more lifelike simulation of a DH run.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
very cool stuff. I don't understand any of it, but I like the idea of taking stuff apart and making it better. can the dyno also run at completely random compression speeds and depths, bottoming it out every now and then? that would seem to be a more lifelike simulation of a DH run.

I am not sure on his specific dyno, however the shakers we use can run a sine wave, triangle wave, etc at varing frequencies. Therefore, you can run a "profile" of just about anything you want including a profile based on real world data obtained with accelerometers. I a car they look for harmonics with the random profiles. Not sure why you would would want to do that on a bike. The shock dyno is best used to find abnormalities in the damping rates.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Those units are for companies who are developing stuff from the ground up. When I worked at Marzocchi I remember the factory floor in Italy vibrating when they fired up the MTS dyno that was located there because of the huge hydraulic pressure required to operate it.

What kind of shaft speeds are you seeing on your data aquisition?

I am interested in seeing this 2 post dyno. I have seen plenty of 4 post chassis suspension dynos since I work for a tier 1 auto supplier. However, I have never seen a 2 post. Are you planning to load a whole bike with rider on it? How do you simulate the rider? The issue I see is the rider to bike mass is so out of proportion compaired to a car or motorcycle. Anyway, it would be cool to see.
You may or may not be suprised, but we actually see upwards of 7-8m/sec. on the MTB stuff. These are peak velocities but seeing 2-4m/sec is commonplace. As for the chassis stuff, I don't want to give much away now, but if you've been around 4 post units you've already got a pretty good idea of how it's laid out. Maybe we can persuade Litter Mag to make a trip up to cover that unit as well.

Why do they have an x-ray machine?
LOL...that's just figurative speech.

I am not sure on his specific dyno, however the shakers we use can run a sine wave, triangle wave, etc at varing frequencies. Therefore, you can run a "profile" of just about anything you want including a profile based on real world data obtained with accelerometers. I a car they look for harmonics with the random profiles. Not sure why you would would want to do that on a bike. The shock dyno is best used to find abnormalities in the damping rates.
We use our dyno for the most part for generating damping characteristic curves. For examaple examining levels of Propedal in a shock, how it transitions from bump force, etc. This combind with the leverage ratio stuff allows us to better tune the shock to a frames specific mechanical characteristic.