Quantcast

Suspension: What ever happened to "falling rate" designs?

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Mtb suspension has been going largely to a "rising rate" design using a coil spring + air spring. This ramps up the total spring rate at the end to prevent harsh bottoming.

But a few years back (maybe a few more? I'm gettin old...) all the suspension talk was rising rate vs. falling rate vs. linear rate by manipulating different suspension designs.

My question is, are there any more successful "falling rate" designs out there?

What are/ were the most popular "falling rate" suspension frames?

Discuss...

-Brad

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Generally, any frame with just one pivot (i.e. no linkage) is a falling rate design, and there are lots of them. The Orange frame is winning lots of pro races, and the Bullit is one of the most popular freeride frames available.

As to how this relates to your first two sentences, I'm not sure. A lot of companies are sticking with a very simple frame design and using the shock to create the necessary progression. That doesn't mean that there aren't still progressive linkage designs out there, though, and plenty of them. The Yeti AS-X is very similar to a Bullit in design and target market, but it uses a linkage to create a progressive design. Most four bar designs are progressive to some extent such as the Kona Stinky series.

The upshot is, I think there's a lot of both designs on the market - and that's great for the consumers. More choices is always better!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BRacing said:
Hmmm, I was under the impression that a single pivot (ie Bullit) suspension design is a straight rate.

-B
Oops, I meant to include "straight" in there (straight or falling rate), but I believe most of them are, actually, falling rate designs - just most of 'em don't fall much.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I don't know Suspension from a hole in the wall :D but I thought single pivot linkless systems can have a rate that is rising....:think

For sh!ts and giggles I will use and abstract example for a demonstration. :rolleyes: :)

A cars motor....more specifically a crank, rod and piston of the engine. At the dead bottom of the crank the piston pauses, right? as it rises to a 90 degree point it is accelerating from a dead stop....I am pretty sure. As it passes the 90 degree point it is slowing down until it reaches the top if the crank and stops at it's highest point. The first 1/4 of the travel is accelerating and the 2nd 1/4 is slowing down....wich is then repeated in similiar fashion as the piston returns to bottom center.

I know this may be messy but if you take the center of the crank as the suspension pivot and the lower rod and piston as two mounting points of the shock. Than if a shock was operating in the first 90 degrees of motion, it would be a rising rate, right? :confused: *shrug*

The next question is "Is it enough to notice?" :rolleyes: :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Much like early motocrossers found that laying their shocks down instead of sticking they straight up (perpendicular to the swing arm) gave a better ride......for the most part.

OK I am done talking moto stuff in relation to MTB...:o: you probably didn't w2ant to hear my babbling anyway. :)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I thought a Bullit was falling rate, not straight rate. With a 5th Element, by cranking up your air volume or whatever keeps the shock from bottoming out harshly you end up with a more linear suspension rate.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm a little too addled from my rediculous day at work to give a good description of the picture I have in my head, but suffice to say you really need a linkage in order to make a suspension rate progressive - at least, from all of my knowledge.

Single pivot, no linkage bikes are all falling rate but some of them are close to linear - less so as you increase the amount of travel.

Let me see if I can find a good description as to why when I get home tonight. Or take the time to put what's in my head down on paper (see, disadvatages of learning through talk rather than through textbooks - I don't have good explanations for certain pieces of my knowledge :D )

edit: ChrisRobin, you posted before I got this all typed - yes, you're correct, the Bullit is a falling rate design just like all non-linkage single pivots.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
On a single pivot bike, one end of the shock is moving in a circle and the other end is fixed. Therefore the rate can be rising or falling depending on what part of the circular "stroke" the shock occupies during normal suspension travel.

It's easy to figure out which: draw two lines from the shock eyelet on the swingarm, one through the shock eyelet on the frame, and one through the swingarm pivot. The shock has a rising rate when the angle between these lines is moving towards 90 degrees (decreasing from a larger angle, or increasing from a smaller angle), and a falling rate when the angle is moving away from 90 degrees.

From eyeballing pictures, it looks like a Heckler is always falling rate. A Bullit looks like rising rate at the beginning of the travel and falling rate for the rest. A Joker looks like falling rate.

It would be tough to mount a shock in a place where the angle could stay above 90 degrees for the entire suspension travel. Motorcycles do it, but they have more room because of wide tires and no cranks.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You can do any kind of rate with or without a linkage, it's just a matter of shock placement. For the most part falling rates are not used on bikes made to take big hits because they bottom out more harshly than rising rate ones. There's still a few out there that I know are falling rate. The Rocky Mountain slayer is one example.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i think some people are getting the 'rates' confused with axle paths...

A 4 bar is a rising rate but has a straight axle path (ex. FSR) Vpp is somthing different altogether.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RhinofromWA said:
A cars motor....more specifically a crank, rod and piston of the engine. At the dead bottom of the crank the piston pauses, right? as it rises to a 90 degree point it is accelerating from a dead stop....I am pretty sure. As it passes the 90 degree point it is slowing down until it reaches the top if the crank and stops at it's highest point. The first 1/4 of the travel is accelerating and the 2nd 1/4 is slowing down....wich is then repeated in similiar fashion as the piston returns to bottom center.
El Caballo said:
On a single pivot bike, one end of the shock is moving in a circle and the other end is fixed. Therefore the rate can be rising or falling depending on what part of the circular "stroke" the shock occupies during normal suspension travel.
:oink: yup, it is possible to have a rising rate with a single pivot, and rhino's example of the early mx guys having their shocks "laid down" instead of straight up shows how it is accomplished.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mack said:
A 4 bar is a rising rate but has a straight axle path (ex. FSR) Vpp is somthing different altogether.
No no no no nononononononononono. ARGH.

A 4 bar is NOT necessarily a rising rate, and does NOT EVER have a straight axle path, FSR or not.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
yup, it is possible to have a rising rate with a single pivot, and rhino's example of the early mx guys having their shocks "laid down" instead of straight up shows how it is accomplished.
Doesn't this still have a small linkage, though, a'la Rocky Mountain RM# series or the Turner DHR? Isn't that the only way to accompish the proper actuation of the shock when it's laid down flat like that?

I guess my statement was a little too "blanket", but I was indicating single pivots like a Bullit/Heckler/Gemini/Prophet/Jeckyll/etc.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
generic explanation for rising rate or falling rate or linear would be if the instantaneous leverage ratio is rising, falling or constant. A bullit is falling rate (I guess, I don't have a schematic in front of me) because as the suspension compresses the shock moves from an angle where the force vector (which in the case of a bullit is a tangent to a circle concentric with the main pivot) is more parallel to the shock to an angle where it is less parallel to the shock, as the suspension compresses further the angle becomes farther from parallel.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
binary visions said:
A 4 bar .....does NOT EVER have a straight axle path, FSR or not.
Thank you for looking past the maketing :)

I have always told people that a FSR type of 4-bar "can" create a shallower arc, or a more vertical axle path but it is not straight.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RhinofromWA said:
I have always told people that a FSR type of 4-bar "can" create a shallower arc, or a more vertical axle path but it is not straight.
According to those with more experience than I, most FSR 4-bars actually create a wider arc than most single pivots... See "? for DW" in the Downhill forum.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
some one needs to make a chart or graph to clear this up! i am so confused, i was certain 4 bar desing had a straight axle path. :confused:

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
A Horst link is basically a single pivot with a floating brake and an adjustable shock leverage/rate curve.

Visualize it: the second pivot is very close to the rear axle, and doesn't move over any more of an angle than the swingarm does. It doesn't meaningfully affect the rear axle path.

There's nothing wrong with this, it's a good design, and there's a reason lots of people put floating brakes on single-pivot DH bikes. I personally think the arguing over rear axle path is somewhat overblown.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
mack said:
some one needs to make a chart or graph to clear this up! i am so confused, i was certain 4 bar desing had a straight axle path. :confused:
Just think about it. Take your arm and hold it straight out infront of you. Swing it 90 degrees to the left or right. Think of the path your hand took, it is curved, with your arm (or one bar of the suspension) being a radi in the curve of the axel path. Four bar does not mean FSR. Konas are four bar but they have the axel path of a single pivot.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
binary visions said:
According to those with more experience than I, most FSR 4-bars actually create a wider arc than most single pivots... See "? for DW" in the Downhill forum.
That is what I meant by "shallower".....less curve, but not straight. THe marketing guys call it straight. The same marketing guys probably brag they have 12" wangs....but come on....they can't all be hung like me :rolleyes: :) j/k

I thought the ? dor DW thread was about how to get into the industry and what schooling to take......not axle paths.....I think I will stay away from that thread.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RhinofromWA said:
That is what I meant by "shallower".....less curve, but not straight. THe marketing guys call it straight. The same marketing guys probably brag they have 12" wangs....but come on....they can't all be hung like me :rolleyes: :) j/k
Actually.. I didn't mean a wider arc.. I actually meant a deeper arc - more curve.

...and don't make me whip it out and show you what I bring to the party...

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Yeah- what Kornphlake said.

On a picture of a single pivot bike, take a compass and draw a circle centered on the main pivot, with your circle going through wherever the shock mounts on the swingarm. Now, at random points along that circle, you can draw lines from your arc to where your shock mounts to the frame.

If these lines become MORE tangential to the arc as the swingarm progresses through it's travel, the shock can push on the arc harder and you have a rising rate.

If these lines become LESS tangential to the arc (ala Heckler), the shock can push on the arc with progressively less force, and you have a falling rate.

If these lines are tangential in the middle of your travel, but less so at the ends, you have an approximation of a linear rate, but you can't have a TRUE linear rate on a single pivot bike. (It sounds like the Bullit may fit into this catagory)

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Depends where you put the shock, but my Blur appears to be roughly linear. It looks like it starts out slightly rising rate, is linear in the middle, and maybe slightly falling rate at the end.

Falling rate only really has one advantage that I can think of: When used with an air shock, it helps counteract the rising spring rate such shocks get as they compress. Of course, this is less of an issue with modern, "high volume" air shocks.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
VPP is very similar to dw-link. Instead of having a pivot located near the rear axle, the rear triangle is rigid, and is connected to the frame by two link bars.

On the VPP they rotate in opposite directions, on dw-link they rotate the same direction. This will primarily affect the way they brake, because the rear triangle is rotating forwards on a VPP and not rotating much at all on a dw-link.

I will guess that a VPP will feel more like a single pivot under braking and a dw-link will feel more like a Horst link -- but this is a guess.

The ETS-X and Canfield Bros frames are similar to the dw-link, but they have longer link bars and different shock linkages.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
El Caballo said:
VPP is very similar to dw-link. Instead of having a pivot located near the rear axle, the rear triangle is rigid, and is connected to the frame by two link bars.
<snip>
The ETS-X and Canfield Bros frames are similar to the dw-link, but they have longer link bars and different shock linkages.
Only visually and in the physical structure of the suspension system (i.e. two linkages connecting solid rear triangles) are any of those frames similar.

Pedalling, axle path, braking, etc. will all be very different.

You may know that but most people don't and your post is likely to give people the wrong impression :)

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
binary visions said:
Pedalling, axle path, braking, etc. will all be very different.

You may know that but most people don't and your post is likely to give people the wrong impression :)
You're probably right. Variation within a design has huge effects, often more than changing designs.

The variation in single-pivot frames alone is amazing, depending on where you put the pivot, what sort of shock linkage you run, and your frame geometry.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
Generally, any frame with just one pivot (i.e. no linkage) is a falling rate design, and there are lots of them. The Orange frame is winning lots of pro races, and the Bullit is one of the most popular freeride frames available.

As to how this relates to your first two sentences, I'm not sure. A lot of companies are sticking with a very simple frame design and using the shock to create the necessary progression. That doesn't mean that there aren't still progressive linkage designs out there, though, and plenty of them. The Yeti AS-X is very similar to a Bullit in design and target market, but it uses a linkage to create a progressive design. Most four bar designs are progressive to some extent such as the Kona Stinky series.

The upshot is, I think there's a lot of both designs on the market - and that's great for the consumers. More choices is always better!

WTF??? a single pivot being anything other than linear??

there are 2 kinds. linear and non-linear rates. non-linears can be falling or rising.

single pivots have linear rates.

if anyone wants to argue on that, i´ll post the math later. but that was the first thing i was taught in engineering dynamics.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Technically, most everything is non-linear (including single pivot). If the first thing your class is teaching is advanced suspension design, then you're probably in the wrong class.

-B

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BRacing said:
Technically, most everything is non-linear (including single pivot). If the first thing your class is teaching is advanced suspension design, then you're probably in the wrong class.

-B

c´mon, dont go to technicalities, thats for phylosophers and Phd. scientists. or we´ll go into the imperfect friction coefficient in the damper, thus making this linear vs non-linear argument irrelevant.

am talking about the broad engineering concept on linear system and non-linear. my class was statics or dynamics, i dont remember, but it was a sophomoric class.

i dont have the math at hand, and am to lazy to figure it out, but the relation in a single pivot between the shock lenght and the delta of position in the wheel is a matter of sines and cosines of the delta-angle of the swingarm, instead of an exponential (non-linear) relationship.

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
ALEXIS_DH said:
WTF??? a single pivot being anything other than linear??

there are 2 kinds. linear and non-linear rates. non-linears can be falling or rising.

single pivots have linear rates.

if anyone wants to argue on that, i´ll post the math later. but that was the first thing i was taught in engineering dynamics.
Sine and cosine are nonlinear functions. Therefore, no single-pivot frame can have linear rate without a compensating shock linkage.

Also, non-linear functions can be falling in some places and rising at others -- for example, sine and cosine.

I hate to say this, but either your dynamics professor is ignorant or you aren't retaining information well. This is basic math.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Alexis, please post this math and don't cheese out with the explanation that you're "too lazy to figure it out".

You have several people telling you that you're wrong, and you've just said, "No, you guys are wrong, but I'm too lazy to tell you why."

ALEXIS_DH said:
c´mon, dont go to technicalities, thats for phylosophers and Phd. scientists.
:rolleyes:
For short travel bikes, the rate can be almost linear, simply because of the very short shock stroke.

When you get into longer travel bikes, though (4+ inches), the falling rate is certainly not a "technicality" - it's very apparent and affects the way the bike rides. That's no small reason why the 5th Element made the Bullit such a wildly successful bike: sure, they were selling them with Fox RCs, but putting on a progressive shock (pedalling platform aside) made the bike a completely different creature.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Could a bike using a sliding track like the new Yeti DH bike and a good shock location make that design linear...even if it is not desireable. ;)

A slotted rear suspension travel; sliding in direction with teh shock would be a linear design.....

:confused: right? :D

MOst other designs require the qualifiers (ie. almost, yadayada-like, close to, etc) to even try and claim a linear path technically. THought the degree at wich the rate changes might be so small for all practical purposes you couldn't tell it wasn't linear.

Tweet! (2 minute penalty for Rhino's incoherant babbling)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RhinofromWA said:
A slotted rear suspension travel; sliding in direction with teh shock would be a linear design.....
Well, that would give you a perfectly verticle suspension path, which is terrible from a rideability perspective, but yeah, it'd give you a linear design. Of course, it'd also give you a 1:1 leverage ratio so you'd get very little travel out of a very large shock :D

At least, if you're describing what I think you are. You mean, if the swingarm slides upward, compressing a shock that is mounted parallel to the seat tube, right?

You need to have a pivot point of some kind (even if it's imaginary) to achieve a leverage ratio, though, so I don't think you could ever have a perfectly linear rate.

It would seem to me to be relatively easy to design an approximately linear rate through a linkage, though, since the stroke of ANY bike shock is at most 3.5".

edit: Upon further reflection, the axle path wouldn't necessarily have to be vertical for your proposed scenario, but it would be straight (i.e. no arc), which again is bad from a usability perspective, and you still have the leverage ratio problem.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
binary visions said:
Well, that would give you a perfectly verticle suspension path, which is terrible from a rideability perspective, but yeah, it'd give you a linear design. Of course, it'd also give you a 1:1 leverage ratio so you'd get very little travel out of a very large shock :D

At least, if you're describing what I think you are. You mean, if the swingarm slides upward, compressing a shock that is mounted parallel to the seat tube, right?

You need to have a pivot point of some kind (even if it's imaginary) to achieve a leverage ratio, though, so I don't think you could ever have a perfectly linear rate.

It would seem to me to be relatively easy to design an approximately linear rate through a linkage, though, since the stroke of ANY bike shock is at most 3.5".

edit: Upon further reflection, the axle path wouldn't necessarily have to be vertical for your proposed scenario, but it would be straight (i.e. no arc), which again is bad from a usability perspective, and you still have the leverage ratio problem.
I thought we were E-babbling about linear rate designs? :D

Screw if it would actually be a joy to ride. :sneaky:

I was describing a true linear design......period. As with much of this discussion, the fact you can or can't tell the difference or if the design can be truely created is irrelavent. No one cares here. :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
RhinofromWA said:
I was describing a true linear design......period. As with much of this discussion, the fact you can or can't tell the difference or if the design can be truely created is irrelavent. No one cares here. :)
No doubt.. I wasn't criticizing your post, just thinking out loud about the disadvantages of the design. :D

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
A shock mounted straight in line with a straight axle path is the only I know of to acheive a truely linear rate. When you introduce a arc, whether it is a axle path arc or shock engagement rotation you will get a non linear rate. You could make it close to linear but not truely through the entire range of travel.
As for a single pivot, as you lay the shock over you get a more progressive rate. If the shock starts at 90 degrees to the compressive member and swings away from 90 you get a regressive design.
There you go.