Quantcast

Sweet Black Diamond (WA) Trails!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You should see some of the stuff thats in sst jumps, lots of car parts and even a swing set.
Could have been my friends swing set haha. The couldesac where the flow lines are were the last set of houses that were taken out, and an old friend lived in one.
i used to play in there when i was a kid, and some of the trails in there were from us kids.
The Port of Seattle bought many of the houses out in the 70's but there were still a few holdouts up until the mid 80's. Then they fenced it all off until Wic got in there somehow.
Also alot of the trails were moto trails too, it was a popular area to ride dirt bikes in the 60's 70's. Big ole jumps and stuff on the sandy hills, hence the original name of the area was "The Sandpits". Then they tried making soccer fields out of it, which was stupid because it was sand. That lasted a few years fast forward to now...
SST has some interesting history...

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Not saying its a bad thing to have garbage in the landings, all that stuff was there, we just relocated it, for the better I think. Lots of kids toys...

Ya I heard about the dirt bikes and the sand pit, explains the soil there.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Wood both rotted and new is a very useful fill tool and I would go as far as to say good for the ground to, If its not destroying things growing then its great compost and fill.

without windfall logs much bigger holes or dirt and rock are needed. Just my $.01

Want to really make some money for the church? build a bike park. Yah sounds easy and its not but I used to go to "church camp" that had dirt bikes. Sure was better then any other camps I was sent to as a kid.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wood both rotted and new is a very useful fill tool and I would go as far as to say good for the ground to, If its not destroying things growing then its great compost and fill.
Actually going to have to slightly disagree. The best kind of ride surface period is going to be soil that is devoid of organics (rock and/or dirt). It will hold up better in the long run (sustainability), and rotting trees work better for off the trail where the little critters eat it, and the insect turds and rot turn into rich organic soil for plants to grow, cycle of life blah blah blah...

Wood for filler is convenient, but it's not the ideal filler, as it becomes neutral as filler and not really beneficial like you're saying. Compost piles are never buried unless your saving the crud for another season on the garden or whatever...

The whole point on the "trail" surface is to prevent anything from growing. Then you move into what are the impacts of the trail and the users. This is all the techy stuff that's really is not all that complicated, but i sense not alot of trailbuilders are aware of.

This would go into the swingset. There may be lead content in it. Now before you think i'm getting on another soap box here, let me state that with so much jet fuel pollution that i'm sure finds it's way to that creek down there, since it's stored just NE of the golf course on 188th. And all the runway pollution that washes it's way down, that the swingset is going to have a teensy fraction of impact. Hence the water treatment plant...

But throwing "crap" into trail builds does not set a good precedent and usually makes for more work down the road. So unless you're trying to bury treasure or making time capsules or something....

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Well for sst it made sence, its not a legal ride spot and who knows when it will be gone. I wasnt about to carry all the car parts, swing set ect... to the dump and I also did not want to leave it visable. All that stuff was already in the dirt we just dug some of it up and then put dirt on it again. Now if it was a project like Colonnade it would be well worth doing it the right way because the park will be around for a long long time.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
:imstupid::imstupid: pardon me if I'm stupid, but please provide a conclusive answer to the question of whether or not, we currently have permission to ride on the East Side of Lake Sawyer; thank you very much. I'm clear about the building, but I don't want to have to read this entire thread to find out if it's ok or not to ride on the the east side trails while the church is doing the construction? thanks turtle

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
oh good, but now I need to apologize to the guy I sicked my dog on and threw rocks at for riding on the trails:shocked:; not really, he had it coming:biggrin:kidding

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
oh good, but now I need to apologize to the guy I sicked my dog on and threw rocks at for riding on the trails:shocked:; not really, he had it coming:biggrin:kidding
You know if one day the church decides that Riders are just too much trouble to deal with and kick us off the land I will understand.

smurr

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
maple valley
Hey if you havent noticed The owners of the property on the west side of Hwy 169 posted a no tresspassing sign on the head of the trails. Im not sure if that is to insure no liability or how strict that is.

But the east side on the church property is open and the drive way up to the new gate (being installed next couple weeks ) is ok to park on. There will be no more activity till the spring as far as tree thinning or dirt moving.

On behalf of Real Life Church, Thank you for the many kind and apprieciative phone calls fron consciencious bikers that ride these trails because of you we are keeping it open

Enjoy!
steve murray
pastor of Real Life Church