Quantcast

Sweet dirt jump fork

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I posted here a while ago looking for opinions on a dirt jump fork for me. The 7-1/2 lb 4" travel '04 dj3 that came with my DK UX24 wasn't what I had in mind.

Well I ended up with exactly what I was looking for, but I had to make it myself.

I bought an '03 Marzocchi EXR comp 4" with steel stanchions. It comes with grease and a long coil spring in each leg, no damping, and a mechanical preload adjuster on the top of each leg. Basic cheap fork, paid $75.

I removed the spring from one leg and replaced it with a long high density elastomer and a series of various medium elastomers (made for old Mountain Cycle "Suspenders" forks) all coated in grease. I then removed the preload adjuster screw from the top cap and replaced it with an air preload.
I made this by cutting a circle around the valve cap of a presta valve innertube, applied rubber cement and slid the valve up through the hole where the old preload screw was. I then slid four small o-rings from the top down over the air valve and then screwed the valve stem retainer nut down tight to lock the whole thing together. Finished it off with a presta-to-shrader air adapter and a dice cap on top.

With steel stanchions it's still way under five pounds because there's no oil inside and only elastomers in the one leg. Without any air preload it gets a real stiff progressive 2-1/2" travel. Perfect for dirt jumps. With the air preload I can pretty much lock it out to race BMX or ride urban. The elastomers rebound slowly so the fork does not top out like most others.

I'm 35 years old and a smooth rider, not a tough young hucker. For me this fork has been working freakin' awesome. A perfect match for my little 28 lb steel singlespeed 24" mtb. I plan on racing indoor BMX on it all winter, I'm sure to have the bike advantage if there ends up being a mtb class.
Thanks,
Tim

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Here it is set up for BMX with the light seat post and pads. I switch to a steel BMX post and dirt jump seat when jumping.
It would be kinda tough for someone to copy my fork unless they had access to an assortment of elastomers like I do (one of the advantages of working for a bike company).

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Very, very nice, I like it. One thing though, have you had any problems with that fork flexing? The one that came OEM on my P2 felt like a noodle (maybe it lacked the steel stanchions) and I just had no confidence it it, and I dont weigh much. Anyway, nice idea and sick bike.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The Kadvang said:
Very, very nice, I like it. One thing though, have you had any problems with that fork flexing? The one that came OEM on my P2 felt like a noodle (maybe it lacked the steel stanchions) and I just had no confidence it it, and I dont weigh much. Anyway, nice idea and sick bike.
Thank's alot. I've never seen anyone else on a DK mtb, I'd like to change that.
I think my fork's the same. I just gave it the front-tire-between-the-knees flex test, yeah it did flex and twist a bit, actually alot compared to my 66rc. Haven't noticed it while riding. I do have a qr on there, I'll probably convert it to bolt-on, that would help.
With this fork I was looking for light, short travel, and cheap.
Thanks for the comments, I'll keep you guys posted as I get more time on it.
Tim

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
did 02's come with steel stanctions? My friend has a exr comp..i know its not older then a 02 and he just cracked his arch all the way through...I have a exr on my P1 and I hate it, something is messed up in it but I do like how it doesn't go through the travel at all! I just don't trust those forks anymore...do you still have the DJ?

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
NotQuiteJdm said:
did 02's come with steel stanctions? My friend has a exr comp..i know its not older then a 02 and he just cracked his arch all the way through...I have a exr on my P1 and I hate it, something is messed up in it but I do like how it doesn't go through the travel at all! I just don't trust those forks anymore...do you still have the DJ?
I sold the dj3.
The stock EXR is a cheap fork. I wouldn't ever use mine for anything other than exactly what I have it set up for, but then I do have five Marzocchi forks right now.
I'll trade you straight across my old '96 Z1 4" if you want. It looks great but needs seals. See it and all it's friends at my thread "Fork Yeah!!!" at www.mtbr.com in the downhill / freeride forum.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Um, nevermind.
I ended up desroying the elastomers inside the fork. When I opened it up there where just bits and pieces. Then I noticed the fork legs are bent back at the clamp, or the clamp failed and let them move back.

Back to the '04 Z1 fr.
I'll, try adding air then flipping the lock out, and see how that goes.

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
TWISTED said:
Um, nevermind.
I ended up desroying the elastomers inside the fork. When I opened it up there where just bits and pieces. Then I noticed the fork legs are bent back at the clamp, or the clamp failed and let them move back.

Back to the '04 Z1 fr.
I'll, try adding air then flipping the lock out, and see how that goes.
Bummer.

Yesterday, I replaced the stock springs (240mm long) in an 03 exr with green springs (210mm long) that fit a 99 Z3 qr20.

I took the long elastomers that were inside the stock springs and fitted them inside the new springs.

I then added a Thudbuster seatpost elastomer (medium),that I found on mtbr ads, to each of the negative springs. They are 30mm long and have a diameter of 25mm. I needed to drill a larger hole through the center so that they would fit.

I now have 72mm of exposed stanction, with very stiff travel.
Did I save any weight? no. So why did I do it? I had the parts laying around, and I was bored yesterday.

I put the fork on my wifes ss jamis eureka, perfect for her type of riding: paved paths and very groomed, smooth trails.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I just want to back up everyone here who's owned a stock EXR. I had that fork for a few months and it was super flexy and felt really bad. Then I broke it (at the arch), and got a 04 DJ3. I don't even notice the few extra pounds, that fork is solid.

I do admire your engineering though, and that's a sick bike.

Sep 10, 2001
I would reduce that 96 z1 down to 80mm and put some new seals in it for that kind of use... Would beat the crap out of that EXR... But thats just me...

Brian

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Brian Peterson said:
I would reduce that 96 z1 down to 80mm and put some new seals in it for that kind of use... Would beat the crap out of that EXR... But thats just me...

Brian
The way I ride, I wouldn't trust that old '96 Z1. It's been around the block.

How about taking both the cartridges out of the old Z1 and machining a spacer to thread onto the bottoms to extend the length and drop them into the new EXR. The internals of the '96 Z1 are very short, the bottoms of the legs are hollow for aprx. 2", in addition to the low axle-to-crown measurement. Would need custom caps too. I have more time and access to fancy bike part makin' machines than I do money. (Unless some high-level fork guy wants to do the E.P. hook up thing.)

Here's a photo from Sunday. I'm not leading because I was tired from racing Friday, racing Saturday, drinking Saturday night, friends dragging me to the races the next morning, and signing me up for cruiser class in addition to my normal mtb class. I couldn't walk after that.

Sep 10, 2001
The only downside is that you are putting good internals into a chassis that really isn't up to that.... Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine into a Ford Pinto...

Brian

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Brian Peterson said:
The only downside is that you are putting good internals into a chassis that really isn't up to that.... Kind of like putting a Ferrari engine into a Ford Pinto...

Brian
Well, I didn't expect the problem between the stantions and the crown. Not sure if it bent or just moved. Very cheap fork anyway. Don't expect me to start bugging the warranty dept. like the other guys elsewhere on this forum.

Hmmm, maybe the old Z1 crown and stantions and cartridges with the EXR comp lowers. That way it will look new, perform well, and have a normal functional disc brake mount on the left side, as opposed to the dual non-standard mounts on the old one. Eh, nevermind.

A Shiver singlecrown with the travel reduced to 3" or so? That should reduce the flex and stiffen it up, you think?

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
hucker13 said:
I've heard that the Shiver SC looks flexy.
The Shiver SC started out at 5", but was flexy. Marzocchi lowered it to 4", which gave it more overlap, which made it less flexy.
I figure if I could lower it to 3" or a little less, it would have much more overlap and should be much stiffer. Since the fork is HSCV it would be harder to lower than a non cartridge fork.

I need to put something on that bike.

Hmm, I've got 6 Marzocchis now, but none of them are what I need on that bike. I need something with minimal travel, fairly light, and not too fragile.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
hucker13 said:
Get an MX Comp Coil 80mm.
I was thinking about it. I'm not sure if it would be any stronger than the EXR Comp that I bent.
I think I'll probably try to get an '04 Fox Vanilla RLC, and drop it down to 80mm. That should be a real nice fork, if I can afford it.

Hey, anybody want to buy an '04 DJ III? $125

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've had both a Fox and an MX, and I can say that the MX is a nicer fork. It's also stiffer.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
But isn't the MX just a Marathon, which is Marzocchi's lightest fork, but with cheaper ssvf damping?
The Fox is 32mm and the MX is 30mm, I'll be using a bolt-on front wheel.
Did you use your fox at 80mm?
I just can't believe the MX could compare to the Vanilla RLC.
Thanks for your input.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
ive found the 03-04 psylos make very nice dj forks for lighter guys (although im not exactly light at 165), and they are very low when at their 80mm setting. cheap too, i picked up a lightly used psylo sl for 75 bucks. its even got useable u-turn, rebound, and lockout, something a pos mx doesnt have.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would look at the Sherman Jumper, the Stance Static, and the Vanilla. The MX doesn't sound like what you want. You may want to look at a Reba, but if you bent an EXR, I don't think that sounds like what you want.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
hucker13 said:
I would look at the Sherman Jumper, the Stance Static, and the Vanilla. The MX doesn't sound like what you want. You may want to look at a Reba, but if you bent an EXR, I don't think that sounds like what you want.
The Stance is crap. Have you actually rode one? Almost 6 lbs too. The Sherman jumper might be OK, but I honestly have never met anyone who has ever ridden a Manitou fork hard and not had big problems with it.

The Vanilla RLC set at 80mm is sounding really good. I like the idea of the lock-out with adjustable threshhold. It's only a little over 4 lbs, and I think they're made in America.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I rode a Stance for some urban stuff, and it worked well. Then again, so does just about everything for urban, as long as it's stiff. I would personally never touch a Manitou, but it sounded like it might work for what you want. Apparently they are not light, though. I would go with the Vanilla. I want to get one for my SX, too.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
PDIRT said:
http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/product-frdt.php?specs=dt12

This is what I'm getting, I am pretty sure... we've been racing MTB outdoor and indoor BMX, 3 or 4 of us.. where do ya race in PDX Twisted?
I've been racing a new indoor bmx track in Milwaukie, OR. The mtb class has been big, always 6-8 guys bangin' bars all the way around the track. We're the class to watch, compared to the kids on bmx bikes, we get more brutal.
I'll probably race my DK 4130 cruiser this weekend and see if my wrists will hold up.
Here's the link to the track www.bmxracingnw.com

Sawweeet!

We are all ABA and from Eugene, maybe we'll head down some Saturday...

We got Thurs outdoor at Autzen, I didn't race tonight I have that damn flu that's been goin' around... totally sux cuz it was so beatiful out today, and the dirt was begging to be railed on...

than I race on my actual cruiser on Sat AM's there, as mt MTB holmies have to work... if my son is into it maybe we'll head this Sat, I'd rather race on my MTB, it's funner , for me and my wrists.

So, what do ya think of that White Bro's... I may order one Monday...

set it at 100mm... it's a hare over 4 lbs, steel steer tube, air preload, has external rebound and compresion... looks like what I need.

I'm running an 02 DJ1 with 01 HSCV carts... now... she's old and been slapped around though, I mean I like it, but...meh.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
um i have been on manitou forks for 6 plus years and been sponsored for 4 and seriously have never had one problem with any of them besides normal mait. sherman jumper is porbably the #1 street/ jump fork out there. look at every pro, 90 percent run it and the ones that arnt sponsored by manitou do also

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
PDIRT said:
Sawweeet!

We are all ABA and from Eugene, maybe we'll head down some Saturday...

We got Thurs outdoor at Autzen, I didn't race tonight I have that damn flu that's been goin' around... totally sux cuz it was so beatiful out today, and the dirt was begging to be railed on...

than I race on my actual cruiser on Sat AM's there, as mt MTB holmies have to work... if my son is into it maybe we'll head this Sat, I'd rather race on my MTB, it's funner , for me and my wrists.

So, what do ya think of that White Bro's... I may order one Monday...

set it at 100mm... it's a hare over 4 lbs, steel steer tube, air preload, has external rebound and compresion... looks like what I need.

I'm running an 02 DJ1 with 01 HSCV carts... now... she's old and been slapped around though, I mean I like it, but...meh.
Hey, come up and race with us. Let me know when you're coming.
I don't know anything about White Bros forks, so I won't try to comment. Your old DJ is now a Z1, since you put the cartridges in it, sounds cool.

A bunch of guys from my work (Kinesis USA) are going to the races tonight. I'm tired and would rather go tomorrow. I'm still not sure if I'm going. I suppose I should be taking a nap right now. Hmmm.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
dexter said:
um i have been on manitou forks for 6 plus years and been sponsored for 4 and seriously have never had one problem with any of them besides normal mait. sherman jumper is porbably the #1 street/ jump fork out there. look at every pro, 90 percent run it and the ones that arnt sponsored by manitou do also
That's great that you have had good luck with Manitou forks.
I've found that there are fans of everything out there, such as a popular brand of freeride bike that is said to be heavy duty and unbreakable, that shall remain nameless. My friend and I each bought one of their top of the line DH bikes before I got my testing job at Kinesis, and within a couple months both of us cracked the frames identically in several places. A couple of our other ripper friends also broke their frames, yet the brand retains it's reputation as a burley freeride bike maker. Maybe we just ride harder around here.
Because pros run something doesn't mean it's good. It's likely that they get the forks for free, and have them factory serviced and or replaced on a regular basis. Just look at all the big DH racers with Boxxers. Who can disagree that Boxxers are prone to leaky seals and much more maintenance than a comparable Marzocchi.
Heck, I often go downhilling and do big drops on XC bikes that I get from work.
Why? because I can. If (when) it breaks, I just grab another one from work the next day.