Quantcast

SX Trail to Enduro conversion

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Since I'm going with a Demo 8 this season for my DH needs, I decided to trim 6 pounds of weight from my last SX Trail build and see how good of a trail bike it makes.

Maybe I don't go so far as putting Triple Ti Eggbeaters and RP23 shock, but a titanium spring may be in the works.

... from my first few rides, me likes it a lot.

'06 SX Trail II frame (M) with '07 chainstay
Chris King headset
DT EX 5.1 wheelset; Hope Bulb hubs, DT Supercomp spokes, DT ProLock alloy nipples
Nokian NBX tires (foldable), 2.3"
'07 Fox 36 Talas RC2
Race Face Atlas LR bar, 31.8
Race Face Atlas crankset (32/22), 175mm
Race Face Evolve DH seatpost... Thomson on the way.
Hope 70mm 0 rise stem
Hope Grip Doctors, Head Doctor, and Seat Clamp
Hayes Mag disc brakes, 7" front/back
Shimano XT M751 shifters
Shimano XTR M952 rear derauilleur, XT M761 front deraulleur
Shimano XT M760 (11-34) cassette, XTR/DurAce 7701 chain
Blackspire Stinger guide w/ C4 Bashguard
ODI Ruffian Lock-on grips
WTB Laser V Team saddle
Xpedo MX-3 Mg/Cr pedals

33.22 lbs

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
lets see that on a scale - no cheatin
Seriously, that doens't "add up"

It can't be too far off. JeremyR's SX weighs about that, I believe he said it is at 34 pounds. If you compare parts; some are heavier, some are lighter on the two builds.

The weight may be off by a bit but not more than a pound or so.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I dont know...at my shop scale, my Enuro Pro with a DHX air, thompson stem, lighter bars, and a Fox Talas RC2, it weights 33.5 lbs. Your SX should way a little more.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Ok, here are some ghetto bathroom scale pics. I did about 10 weighs, the lowest it went was 32.5 and the highest was 34, however a majority was 33.5 pounds.

I can get a confirmation weight with my camera in a sec of some lifting weights.

Everytime I took the picture (took like 10) and reset the scale I got 10.5 pounds. (with two 5 pound weights)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It can't be too far off. JeremyR's SX weighs about that, I believe he said it is at 34 pounds. If you compare parts; some are heavier, some are lighter on the two builds.

The weight may be off by a bit but not more than a pound or so.
Jeremy's and JonnyNails rigs both have Cane Creek DB's w/ a ti spring and I9 wheels.

I'll ask him the next time I see him what it weighs.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Mine was 33 in this pic.
It is crazy how capable of a trail bike it is when built light,
and I did not do anything to sacrafice strength with it either.
And pdawg, I just finished building my 08 demo 8 last night,
so I was in the same boat with my SX trail.
It is the one bike I could not make myself sell at the end of the year.
It's too fun.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I've been running with an DHX5 Air-sprung Kona Coiler (before the Coilair even came out) for a couple seasons. After I decided to push the button on the Demo 8, it wasn't a hard decision for me on which frame to keep, i.e. SX Trail or Coiler.

I thought for a trailbike that the SX Trail with 66.5 degree head angle and low bottom bracket would not work. Also, with the long wheelbase it would handle like an oil tanker.

I stand corrected.

EDIT: Post some pics of your Demo8, need some build ideas. :pirate2:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Possi

I've got the best build idea ever, build it quick and get yer a$$ to cali! ;)
The SX is looking fun dude, enjoy!

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Hey Bro,

I've got the best build idea ever, build it quick and get yer a$$ to cali! ;)
Good plan, but have a few things on the agenda...

1) get married next month (here in Finland)
2) honeymoon in Vegas (get a few grand from highrollers table)
4) Come to SB, pay off Bob and build the Demo 8
5) ride the hell out of the local trails with ya'll (Maybe a trip to Mammoth and Moab, time permitting)

The SX is looking fun dude, enjoy!
Thanks, I'm diggin it... should be Romero Canyon compatible. :biggrin:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Hey Bro,Thanks, I'm diggin it... should be Romero Canyon compatible. :biggrin:
Fully compatible. that would be a blast down the canyon and should climb acceptably
But that thing has Jesusita written all over it!

Let me know if there's anything you need for the Demo.
I think I have some wheels that'd work out for ya off of an older Demo 8 (Spec. hubs on Mavic 325's) and a '05 Boxxer Team.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Fully compatible. that would be a blast down the canyon and should climb acceptably
But that thing has Jesusita written all over it!
With propedal fully cranked, it climbs ok. At first, the low leverage ratio tripped me out with the stock 350# spring. It felt like an old sofa, but with two wheels.

Praise Jesusita... that trail rocks!!!

Let me know if there's anything you need for the Demo.
Will do.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Mine was 33 in this pic.
It is crazy how capable of a trail bike it is when built light,
and I did not do anything to sacrafice strength with it either.
And pdawg, I just finished building my 08 demo 8 last night,
so I was in the same boat with my SX trail.
It is the one bike I could not make myself sell at the end of the year.
It's too fun.

How sick is that 36FloatR? I love mine!

BTW- My Enduro weighed 30# dead-on with an RP23/Havoc wheels/36FloatR/XTR gruppo so I believe 33-34 for this guys SXT. That is what mine weighed with Deemax/36TALAS RLC/Hope M4's/DHX Coil/XT gruppo. These frames are pretty light.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
How sick is that 36FloatR? I love mine!

BTW- My Enduro weighed 30# dead-on with an RP23/Havoc wheels/36FloatR/XTR gruppo so I believe 33-34 for this guys SXT. That is what mine weighed with Deemax/36TALAS RLC/Hope M4's/DHX Coil/XT gruppo. These frames are pretty light.
This thread needs some deraling..

So you went from a 36TALAS to a 36FloatR, and the difference was what and how big?

But that thing has Jesusita written all over it
Some of my fav's in SB. Too many hikers on Jesusita though - damm granolas:biggrin:

Pdawg - nice build on the SXT. Mine is 38.5 lbs as pictured

Heavy 2.5 michelin DH tires and tubes on it though and the codes are heavy as well, but they work too damm well to care about the weight. The totem is a coil not air.

Oh, and sorry Jeremy but i couldn't resist on the wheels after i saw yours:cheers:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This thread needs some deraling..

So you went from a 36TALAS to a 36FloatR, and the difference was what and how big?
.5lbs lighter and better performance. The TALAS system is complicated and adds friction to the fork's action. Also due to the complexity of the TALAS system there is an increased potential for mechanical issues compared to the Float. My experiences with the TALAS were very good, but I like the Float better.

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
Any of you guys with King headsets run into issues mounting these on your enduros? I just picked up an 06 S-Works Enduro and am planning on throwing a King HDS on there but a bro of mine told me there were issues with the cup fit.

Just currious if anyone had any experience with this?

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I did some checking on this and found that Specialized headtubes run 34.0 mm while stock King headsets run 33.9 mm. However, King does make an oversize headset using the part number:

"HSB1(color choice)-004"

Hope this info helps.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I did some checking on this and found that Specialized headtubes run 34.0 mm while stock King headsets run 33.9 mm. However, King does make an oversize headset using the part number:

"HSB1(color choice)-004"

Hope this info helps.
I was told the same story by a Spec' concept store.

Specialized is making this out to be King's problem but honestly I doubt it is. Who do you trust to have proper machining tolerances, King or Specialized????

I could not get the King headset to stop creaking on my Enduro. Granted it was very minor but none-the-less annoying. I would tighten it up every few rides and grease it.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Not fixing blame here... just seems a bit odd not to standardize headset sizes. Specialized seems to base the frame design around their preferred OEM headset (guessing it's made by TH).

I'm running the standard King headseat in my SX Trail and no creaking so far. Even after running an FSA Pig DH Pro in there for a season, the headtube did not seem to be stretched out like an old shoe.

... Anyway, back to my workshop with my trusty adjustable metric crescent wrench, cursing the non-ISO compliant world. :rant: