Quantcast

syria?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i thought they used thermite for stuff they wanna burn up or melt. i also thought fuel air explosives did most of their damage via shockwave.
unless someone actually puts a thermite device on the CW itself, it wouldnt be used since napalm bombs (which use thermite) are no longer used iirc, especially near civilians
a shockwave isnt going to destroy a chemical weapon. a thermobaric will essentially destroy anything and everything in its path.

then again, i could be wrong

Last edited:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
IIRC in Gulf War 1.0 FAE's were used on CW sites followed quickly by a "traditional" high explosive. The thinking was the FAE would rupture the containers and the HE would incenerate the CW. That link I posted yesterday talks about a weapon using darts to puncture the containers and WP to incenerate the CW.

that's it...a couple bunker busters that busts bunkers under the bunkers you just busted with a dozen thermobaric chasers should do the trick.

this is (may sound) heartless. but the UN Report isn't public (yet) and snippets of that report doesn't give definitive proof that Assad's forces doled out the chem attack. I say, we stay out of syria, and them sort it out.

We send in some cruise missles, piss off rebels because it's too little too late, or worse, kill civilians by accident. We do nothing, piss off rebels because they think the West supports Assad. We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Those fcukers will find a way to hate America.

A significant percentage of those rebels are AQ (or AQ sympathetic) anyways. The enemy of my enemy...is still the f-ing enemy.

Use that new fangled spy satellite we just launched, if we see Chems being diverted or falling into non-governmental hands and potentially used against us, then bombs away. Until then, enough with the warring when there is no immediate US threat.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.
Exactly........I was listening to NPR yesterday and they interviewed some college age girls. They are less afraid of Assad than the rebels. They were recounting where the rebels were imposing strict Sharia law and killing of women for very minor "offenses" to Islam. So while I think we should certainly stay out, I'm afraid that if the rebels prevail it will turn into another Afganistan circa late 1990's with regards to the treatment of women.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Oh Oh Oh!!!

I know the answer...

Cause the tea party has been posting it all over face book!

What's funny is that Obama has stated he's going to Congress to get authorization for war... and OMFG are the righties upset.

Sens. John McCain (R., Ariz.) and Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.) said in a joint statement that they "cannot in good conscience support isolated military strikes in Syria'' unless they can "change the momentum on the battlefield.''
Rep. Pete King (R., N.Y.), who supports an attack on Syria, lambasted Mr. Obama for asking for congressional authorization he thought wasn't needed.

"President Obama is abdicating his responsibility as commander-in-chief and undermining the authority of future presidents," said Mr. King.
And you know Rand Paul and the other Libertarians are going to vote no. Looks like Obama just outmaneuvered the Republicans.... again?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What's funny is that Obama has stated he's going to Congress to get authorization for war...

And you know Rand Paul and the other Libertarians are going to vote no. Looks like Obama just outmaneuvered the Republicans.... again?
This.

At first the republicans were against any action...now they are ready to go to war. All this just to be opposite of whatever position the president takes.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
^^^^Exactly, so we "topple" the Assad regieme........now who takes over? Several of the splintered rebel groups have AQ ties, so we create a new Afganistan circa 1997??

The evil you know vs. the evil you don't know............

If we do anything, I'd say destroy any CW and leave it at that. That way the Assad regieme can't use them, and if the Jihadist rebels come to power neither can they.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
mccain should have been playing missile command instead

"bomb, bomb, bomb....bomb, bomb iran..."

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
OMFG, it's the end of times, gasp, I agree with lunatic Michelle Bachman.

Time to put together a bug out bag full of spare bike parts, snacks, and weed.
Don't worry, she doesn't *actually* feel that way, she's just using it to bash Obama. If the President was a white guy with an (R) after his name she'd be underneath the podium blowing him as he was announcing how we'd already sent in ground troops to "protect freedom®".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Now that popular opinion is that we should be isolationists that means we can slash the military budget rught?