Quantcast

syria?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
obama said:
And so to my friends on the right, I ask you to reconcile your commitment to America's military might with a failure to act when a cause is so plainly just.
To my friends on the left, I ask you to reconcile your belief in freedom and dignity for all people with those images of children writhing in pain and going still on a cold hospital floor, for sometimes resolutions and statements of condemnation are simply not enough.
got that? the right puts war above the goal it hopes to accomplish: freedumb (profits a close second, admittedly), and the left are a bunch of hand-wringing pussies

he's a regular charmer, he is

oh, still no outrage on this scale for *actual* genocide in Congo...carry on...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Whoever's dialing in the angles at night will be sniper fodder in short order.
Are they using google maps for targeting as well? The govt has little to worry about if the rebels are using apple maps; they'll probably wind up shelling themselves.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yet something else the rebels have in common w/ inner city public school students

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Fox told me Obama already is. Maybe he's just not a very good one?
wiki gov't shutdown for lulz....

was going to go back to yellystone yesterday because the sun was actually out...closed.

i blame everyone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Certainly a goal of Russia's presence in Syria is classical dick swinging. They have been playing a game of chicken with Turkish (NATO) airspace since they arrived.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I suspect neither Moscow nor, at the very least, the other European Nato powers will want to let this go too far. Russia cannot fight hot diplomatic wars on too many fronts, and Europe clearly wants Moscow to be part of the solution in Syria and maybe Ukraine, too. And, frankly, there is in many capitals concern about Turkey, its agenda and its role in the region. Much will depend on where Washington falls, of course, but if Moscow can get even a crumb of contrition from Ankara or sympathy from Europe, then we can expect this to be splashed on Russian TV and allow the Kremlin to let this slide a little.

But even in this best-case scenario, I don’t imagine that will be the end to it. Moscow has already been willing to operate inside Turkey covertly, and is engaged in political tussles over influence in the South Caucasus as well as Middle East. I would expect some uptick in ‘mischief’ – perhaps some support for the Kurds or other violent extreme movements, for example – as well as a more assiduous campaign to push back and stymie Turkish regional ambitions.

It’s often said, with good reason, that Putin really wants a return to 19th century geopolitics, when might made right and realpolitik was all. Let’s not forget that one of the defining 19thcentury conflicts was that between Russia and the Ottoman Empire, which were sometimes openly at war, sometimes ostensibly at peace, but never anything than enemies. Here we go again.
https://inmoscowsshadows.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/turkey-shoots-down-a-russian-jet-and-we-return-to-the-19th-century/