Quantcast

Talking Turkey

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I have already fixed a turkey. Safeway pretty much forced me into it in this one grocery store town. It was about the only thing affordable in town. I bought one of the plain birds (16 lbs) as opposed to the basted ones. I soaked in brine for about 24 hours. After reading different turkey rub ideas I settled on a mix of salt, pepper, tarragon, thyme, , seasoning salt and rosemary. I read where it was pretty hard to over season a turkey, because they are pretty bland. So this time it got seasoned pretty good. I also used vegetable oil instead of butter for basting. I covered the turkey completely in foil. I turned the oven up to 420 degrees for two hours and then dropped it back to 305 degrees for two hours. I kept the turkey completely covered during cooking, although it was loose around a couple of edges. After letting the bird sit for a while I carved it up. The meat was very moist and nicely seasoned thoughout. I would say it was as good or maybe nearly as good as a deep fat fried turkey. It was also safer-a couple of years ago the fire department was busy putting out fires from the deep fat turkey fryars.

So what your turkey recipe? ;)

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Yeah, I think it does taste better when someone else cooks it. The other thing about it is how many days in a row do you want to eat turkey? I have had turkey for dinner 3 days in a row now. A 15-20 pound turkey can last for a while when cooking for one or two people. The leftovers usually go for sandwiches, hot turkey sandwiches, and tacos.