Quantcast

Tall Beginner needs advice on simply buying a cheap complete street BMX Suggestions?

IndoFear

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
I am 6'5 190lbs and wanting to start street bmx.

I am having a difficult time just trying to find a complete bike for cheap.
But I'd like your suggestions. Help a nooby out

On dans comp it says I should have a bmx like

6' feet and over people:

Frame Size - Pro XXL Toptube Length - 21.25" - 22"

Stem Length - Pro XL 52mm - 60m

Bar Size - 8" + Bar Width 28" Crank Length - 180mm - 190mm

Gearing - 44 / 16 & over

I really dont want to spend over 500 bucks and Im confused about buying a bike cause there seems to be so many options. I just wanna ride. Complete Street BMX bike suggestions? I live in vancouver bc canada and I will order online or drive to washington to buy or pick up a mail order delivery.

Thank you for your help

30yr old
Aadon

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007

theres my bike. cruiser with 8" bars. im 6'7" and honestly someone our size just cant really fit on a 20" unless its a xxxxxl race bike

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
PLENTY of people over 6,5 ride 20 inch bmx bikes.

The problem is, no one sells large frames with a complete bike. So you will have to look for aftermarket parts, which will increase the cost of your bike.

I would look on Craigslist (you didn't mention where you live) for a used bmx that has a 21 inch top tube (longer if you can get it, but good luck). Then buy some bars from someplace like Dans for cheap. I just picked up some 8.5 bars for 40 bucks.

http://www.danscomp.com/362280.php?cat=PARTS
cheap. not very wide though, at 27 inches.

I bought these
http://www.danscomp.com/362382.php?cat=PARTS

Most people your size ride a 22 inch top tube. Because this is a less made item then say, 21 or 20.5, they are often more expensive.

Good luck....

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
Most people your size ride a 22 inch top tube. Because this is a less made item then say, 21 or 20.5, they are often more expensive.

Good luck....
finding a 22 inch tt these days is hard enough on current frame-only sales. pretty much gotta find an old macneil or go custom

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
There's a few companies that offer a 22" option. I quickly looked on Dans and they have their Fit BF3 Sig complete with a 21"tt.

To the OP, if you're really trying to get on a bike with a budget under $500 it's going to be pretty difficult if you're wanting quality. It can happen with some fancy searching. One way would be to buy a complete used and not concern yourself with tt lengths, just quality components. Used 21tt frames in the online classifieds are more common nowadays, search the bmx only forums. www.bmx-forum.com is a good place. Buy the frame separate and then sell the shorter frame.

BTW, 180mm cranks are plenty. 190 is retarded long

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I am 6'5 190lbs and wanting to start street bmx.

I am having a difficult time just trying to find a complete bike for cheap.
But I'd like your suggestions. Help a nooby out

On dans comp it says I should have a bmx like

6' feet and over people:

Frame Size - Pro XXL Toptube Length - 21.25" - 22"

Stem Length - Pro XL 52mm - 60m

Bar Size - 8" + Bar Width 28" Crank Length - 180mm - 190mm

Gearing - 44 / 16 & over

I really dont want to spend over 500 bucks and Im confused about buying a bike cause there seems to be so many options. I just wanna ride. Complete Street BMX bike suggestions? I live in vancouver bc canada and I will order online or drive to washington to buy or pick up a mail order delivery.

Thank you for your help

30yr old
Aadon

You would not want 44/16. Racers are the only one who still use large sprockets (for reasons having to do with torque etc etc).

The most common gear ratio in street/park/etc bmx is 25-9. Sometimes you will still see guys running 36-13, which was common in the early 00's.

I think you should also consider a 24" bmx. A lot of cruisers are race oriented, but there are definitely some that are street/park/trails oriented. Check out previous threads we have here on the Liquid Feedback, Sunday Model C, Specialized P24, etc. Also check www.cruiserrevolution.com

Last edited: