Quantcast

Tamer

SkunkWorks

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
On Planet Earth
Does anybody know how the Tamer headset reducers work? I know they reduce the headtube diameter. But if I use them, will I still need a 1 1/4 headset? or will I be able to use a 1 1/8?

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
you to use a 1 1/8 inch on 1 1/4 headtube bikes. Work really well. I would recomend facing before instalation. There is also the Chris King De-evolution headset. IT fits in a 1 1/4 headtube, but allows you to use a 1 1/8 fork...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
that means you re-do the head tube bore,

still id go for the king solution, i guess if you have a 1 1/4 frame you probably are pretty attached to it , or it is a classic, so the king will be the best way to protect it, those reducers are good but there is more chance of ovalizing the headtube with adapters, that is if you beat the bike at least somewhat, if its not going to see hard use, then its not that important.

v

SkunkWorks

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
On Planet Earth
Hmmm, ovalizing huh? I have a 1 1/4 headtube because I needed a bike for 450 and everyhting new at that price point sucked, and I didn't know very much. So I bought used. If I could go back I'd get a Marlin. But oh well. How much does the Chris King run? about 100 bucks like all their other headsets?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
if the headset reducer sits tightly in the head tube and you buy a good headset then you will diminish chances of anything happening, when i wrote that earlier post i assumed you maybe had one of those classic klein or fisher frames you wanted to update a bit, hence all the care. if you dont ride too hard there should be no big concern

later
vic