Quantcast

Tank

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Does anyone have any experience with Tank mod trials bikes? I am thinking about getting one brand-new from eBay for $160. Is that a good deal? The model wasn't specified. I am a complete beginner (in other words, I can't do anything trials-related), and I am 5'8" and 160 lbs, if it matters.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
iv'e heard they are ok for beginers, but aren't worth the money to replace parts on them. but that's just what i've heard. personaly I'd try to stick with a stock trials bike(26") instead of the mod, but that's just me. true its a little more than 160 bucks for a mod, but oh well. it will be a good investment when you get more into trials after the tank starts to fail. i'd say get the tank, and save up for a stock bike. it can even be a normal small sized mountain bike. that's what i'm using, i have 16.5" chainstays which is super long for trials, but it works. I'm saving up to get a desalvo trials frame. those things are so sick, and they are custom made too.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
If you go with the Tank mod and there aren't many people riding mod's where you live then be prepared for the cops to think you're always grinding on stuff and tearing up things... I would have to agree with iridebikes though and say just save up for a decent stock bike. If you already have a mountainbike with 26" wheels then you could consider getting a Brisa stock frame for something like $500.00 and then just swap over most of your parts to the new frame. Or you could do what I did and buy a P.2 and put a rigid fork on it (I don't really recommend this though because the Bottom bracket is so low) it only cost $675.00 for the whole bike though...

TyF

Chimp
Feb 3, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
no one likes their tank after they ride it for a couple weeks. i think you should just practice on a mountain bike (or what ever you have) and save for a decent starters bike, if you like a mod monty makes the xalp which is on sale for like $350 complete at www.webcyclery.com and that is a much better bike than the tank will ever be.
here are some comments from tank owners

http://www.observedtrials.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1301&highlight=tank

this one is even better

http://www.observedtrials.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=895&highlight=tank

you can search for more on that site

dirtjumperdh

Chimp
Jun 25, 2009
philadelphia
hi on sort of the same topic i was given a trials frame the other day and it said tank on the top tube and newest on the seat stays. by that conclusion it is a tank trials bike. my question is, does anyone know af a website for this company this will be my first trials bike although ive ridden a friends before and im just trying to get info on the frame.