Quantcast

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
absolutely love the boxes. always nice to see evidence that humans (esp good humored ones) were involved in the process (at whatever stage of production). I like your style, sir.
thank you.

I didn't machine the parts. I didn't weld the frames. I didn't personally apply powder coat anodize.

But man, my blood is in these bikes. all of them.

If I couldn't have fun with it, I wouldn't bother. I mean, it's bikes, right??? bikes=fun

and i think this is the one I will keep....Chrome
chrome 1.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Kinda looks like the recycled boxes are no longer recyclable.
What? Nothing that releasing more fluorocarbons into the air in the guise of "upcycling" can't fix..

in the meantime....Money. This was intended to be a show bike for Interbike, but got pushed aside in favor of the hammered lizard. See how lizard's are?
money s.jpg
silver vein 5.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Plz make a custom “p” decal for the end of the name so one can be a “Tantrump” and do a grumpy Trump face for the headtube badge. Thanks.
Special requests for $$$$

or maybe for fun @therealdonaldtrump

ridemonkey is safe, right????

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
If I wasn't a half-broke third world monkey I'd surely give your creation a try!
hey, they were practically half price.....it was actually kind of fun to offer it for a sort of "affordable" price. With good parts DVO suspension, etc.

Got some new colors. By the way, all of these were chosen by customers.
rootbeer 11s.jpg
tangerine s.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Ok, I really appreciate the way you are using pictures and short posts these days. Those books you were writing were over the top. Your bikes look pretty good too, especially if they pedal well and then get rowdy easily like you indicate.

To be honest, besides the branding, what will prevent me from considering this as a contender for my stable is the lower shock mount. That is a hole in the top of the downtube. It will collect shit like crazy. It looks like theres threads in there and even the shock stanchion! It looks like a maintenance nightmare.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Ok, I really appreciate the way you are using pictures and short posts these days. Those books you were writing were over the top. Your bikes look pretty good too, especially if they pedal well and then get rowdy easily like you indicate.

To be honest, besides the branding, what will prevent me from considering this as a contender for my stable is the lower shock mount. That is a hole in the top of the downtube. It will collect shit like crazy. It looks like theres threads in there and even the shock stanchion! It looks like a maintenance nightmare.
Thanks. It sure is easier when I have cool pics to post, reviews form riders and other progress to report. I might also actually be improving my "social media" skills, although only forced to for biz reasons, I kind like telling the story.

The hole in the downtube is unfortunate. I'm not saying it's permanent, but when things work a certain way, you find a solution. For what it's worth, the DT is DH burly, with a nice reinforcement around the hole. It's the strongest part of the frame.

Trunion shocks are my best hope to get rid of it. I may be able to do that for the next run. The other option is a bigger bend with a lower protrusion in front of the BB. That is unacceptable to me even though there are other "hot new bikes" that are much worse.

A couple customers busted me for a little crap getting in the shock hole. They put foam in. Other than that, the lower shock is attached to a mount. 2 bolts stick straight out of the hole and are easy to get to. The bolt-in mount helps with maintenance and also flexabilty with shock lengths and geo.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Thanks. It sure is easier when I have cool pics to post, reviews form riders and other progress to report. I might also actually be improving my "social media" skills, although only forced to for biz reasons, I kind like telling the story.

The hole in the downtube is unfortunate. I'm not saying it's permanent, but when things work a certain way, you find a solution. For what it's worth, the DT is DH burly, with a nice reinforcement around the hole. It's the strongest part of the frame.

Trunion shocks are my best hope to get rid of it. I may be able to do that for the next run. The other option is a bigger bend with a lower protrusion in front of the BB. That is unacceptable to me even though there are other "hot new bikes" that are much worse.

A couple customers busted me for a little crap getting in the shock hole. They put foam in. Other than that, the lower shock is attached to a mount. 2 bolts stick straight out of the hole and are easy to get to. The bolt-in mount helps with maintenance and also flexabilty with shock lengths and geo.
Have you considered approaching it in a similar way to how it's done on the Banshee Legend? It wouldn't be major heart surgery at the seat tube end since the existing design is already interrupted.

Not suggesting that it is a low effort thing, but perhaps you could weight it along with your other options. It's probably your most costly option on the labor and NRE front......

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you should probably just go ahead and add that missing link, move the top of the shock mount up and forward, adjust the lower mount up and back and bingo...problem solved. you're welcome. please send my portion of the profit along promptly. thanks.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Have you considered approaching it in a similar way to how it's done on the Banshee Legend? It wouldn't be major heart surgery at the seat tube end since the existing design is already interrupted.

Not suggesting that it is a low effort thing, but perhaps you could weight it along with your other options. It's probably your most costly option on the labor and NRE front......
Wow, they had to go to a bit of an extreme on that piece. I'm looking at another option to clean it up for the next run. My biggest reservation to changing it is that, even though I have poked a nasty hole in the DT, I have preserved the DT all the way to the BB. This has some advantages. Including a "clean" surface form HT to BB, for at least 75% of the tube circumference.

The biggest disadvantage of the current version (besides the hole) is consistently locating the "shock pocket" thru all frame sizes. My revision more accurately locates the shock pocket to the BB and pivot.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
you should probably just go ahead and add that missing link, move the top of the shock mount up and forward, adjust the lower mount up and back and bingo...problem solved. you're welcome. please send my portion of the profit along promptly. thanks.
ya. True. That's how most bike companies are started.

It's too late for me

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
ALL KICKSTARTER FRAMES DELIVERED!!!!!!....not

that's what I wanted my New Year's update to be. They are all built and the remaining frames are awaiting 29er dropouts to return from anodizing. Right now they are built with 27.5 dropouts so it'll be a quick swap and ship. THEN I can give that update.

Can you guess who got most of the kickstarter money besides my frame factory?? DVO couldn't have been more deserving. In the end, even though ALL of the demos and rave reviews were done with the XFusion shock, about 90% opted to upgrade to the DVO. And DVO came through big time for me.

I understand that my business is barely enough to be a pain in the ass to some of the big players. I'm grateful this isn't the case everywhere.
frames and guitars 2 s.jpg
frames and guitars 3 s.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Don't listen to him. I was the clear winner of the HT badge contest back in Aug 2016 with this beauty and I didn't get shit.

Just a minute. While there is an admittedly passing resemblance, yours lacks the subtle feminine quality that I sought.

Just so there's no hard feelings, I'll give you 20% off of any product priced at 50% over MSRP. As is common industry practice.

Chimp
Nov 1, 2017
FYI

question...

why I only have minus 2 negative rep ?

Thought this forum was loaded with far more who can neg me, that what I see happening...

Last edited:

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
FYI

quesiton:

why I only have minus 2 negative rep ?

Thought this forum was loaded with far more who can neg me, that what I see happening...

All I can reckon is....
not only does ridemonkey suck, but it's the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
You are dropping that ball soooooo hard.
well considering your second post was ragging on someones mama over a shit post when it had nothing to do with you, and your 5th post is about everyone else being sucky. But of your 4 posts that are not a picture, 2 of them are ragging on everyone else. So, the common dominator here is you.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Tantrum Cycles will be at Sea Otter, Monterrey, CA in April.

This is my "industry challenge" to all the people that make bikes, have bikes with their name on, make bike products, bike equipment, write about bikes, sell bikes, work on bikes and/or otherwise make their living off bikes.

Race Me.

2 years ago, I entered the Enduro for Tantrum Cycles competition debut (and my return after 15 yrs since my last DH race), as the oldest guy in my class. I beat some people and got beat by more people. I had fun, got tired. I raced MY OWN bike.This year, I entered as possibly the oldest rider in the entire field of 600.

Most of you never get to ride or race at these events. I know, I know, if you're there, you're setting up a booth, etc. Working. for a few bucks. And the privilege of being in the industry. Because you like bikes that much. And it sucks that all my friends in the industry are stuck in their booths.

C'mon. I've had my own, sometimes self manned booth at Sea Otter for years in the Brake Therapy/Shock Therapy days. And at the NORBA Nationals.

And I always raced. Not just because I make stuff that racers use and I need to test it to the best of my ability. because it's fun. I'm a racer. I like to go fast. It's fun.

Race me.

Easy for me to say, I have nothing to lose, you might get beat by an old man. Show me a wheel. Throw me an elbow. Make fun of my bike. Whatever.

I'll buy a beer for everyone that beats me and 2 beers for everyone I beat.

Who's in??
sea otter podium L.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Tantrum Cycles will be at Sea Otter, Monterrey, CA in April.

This is my "industry challenge" to all the people that make bikes, have bikes with their name on, make bike products, bike equipment, write about bikes, sell bikes, work on bikes and/or otherwise make their living off bikes.

Race Me.

2 years ago, I entered the Enduro for Tantrum Cycles competition debut (and my return after 15 yrs since my last DH race), as the oldest guy in my class. I beat some people and got beat by more people. I had fun, got tired. I raced MY OWN bike.This year, I entered as possibly the oldest rider in the entire field of 600.

Most of you never get to ride or race at these events. I know, I know, if you're there, you're setting up a booth, etc. Working. for a few bucks. And the privilege of being in the industry. Because you like bikes that much. And it sucks that all my friends in the industry are stuck in their booths.

C'mon. I've had my own, sometimes self manned booth at Sea Otter for years in the Brake Therapy/Shock Therapy days. And at the NORBA Nationals.

And I always raced. Not just because I make stuff that racers use and I need to test it to the best of my ability. because it's fun. I'm a racer. I like to go fast. It's fun.

Race me.

Easy for me to say, I have nothing to lose, you might get beat by an old man. Show me a wheel. Throw me an elbow. Make fun of my bike. Whatever.

I'll buy a beer for everyone that beats me and 2 beers for everyone I beat.

Who's in??
View attachment 128163
I've read some of your post and like that you stayed up all 9 rounds and didn't leave when people belittled your ideas.

I like that you persued your idea and didn't leave people hanging/lost their money.

I like that you patented your ideas and followed through..

But I really, really like the idea that you'll be racing for the comraderie and fun of it and challenged other owners to race at a trade show. Too many Lizards pay attention only to their accounts and not the riders, entry level racers and the customer. I hope this makes your sales go higher.

Go race, have fun and sell some more bikes! Ttyl, EC.