Quantcast

Tara Llanes Injury Update

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA

from Tara's MySpace page...

As you may or may not know, Tara crashed in the Jeep King of the Mountain race on Saturday, September 1 in Veil, Colorado. She was airlifted to Denver Health Hospital, where she underwent 7 hours of surgery to correct massive trauma in her lower back. She also has a C-7 fracture which was deemed stable prior going into surgery.

Tara once again made it through another surgery and is now breathing on her own and able to communicate with friends and family. Unfortunately at this time she has no feeling below her waist, a symptom she suffered as a result of her crash.

We will continue to learn more about her injuries in the upcoming weeks and will continue to keep you posted. Since coming out of surgery, Tara, drugged and very happy, has kept in good spirit and has promised not to let this beat her.

We ask that you have as much faith as Tara does throughout this difficult period. Please leave a message on this page and we will make sure she receives each and every one of them. In the meantime, we are hoping Tara will be able to come back home in 1 to 2 weeks.

EDIT:
You can also drop her some words of encouragement or get well wishes here: tara@tarallanesracing.com

Her MySpace site is now PUBLIC, so feel free to check it out for yourself.... in case i miss any updates

TARA's MYSPACE

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
Oh my god, I cant believe this is happening.... Its like BMX's Stephen Murray all over again. My thoughts go out to her friends and family. I hope she can recover.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
J,

Thanks for posting. Wow. Tara's one of those people you admire at a distance for her incredible athletic ability, and then admire even more after meeting her for the ability she has to connect with people. Lots of people have raw talent, but few use it as well as she does.

Tara, you are in my prayers. After watching you race short track the same weekend you were racing downhill and 4x, I have no doubt you will rise to the challenge of this recovery, because you are one of those people whose tenacity, grit, and faith knows no bounds.

All the best from San Diego,
sunny
(Laura Drexler, No Brakes Racing)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wow, what amazing spirit. Keep smiling! May all the healing energy in the world rain down on you.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wow. These types of injuries always get to me. I've had a few scares in my day- headfirst crashes, broken helmets, body parts going painfully numb. You never know what's going to happen with these types of injuries. Hopefully, her loss of movement will dissipate some or all as she heals.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
sorry to hear this, I know its hard but hopefully she can stay positive and fight through it

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
JDD thanks for the update-hard to find news of this tragedy anywhere. This is such sh1t news and I can not remember any top MTBer ever having this happen, such a bummer.
In knowing Tara over the last 15 years or so, one thing I have noticed-it seems she is immune to depression, she is always upbeat and that attitude will carry her through whatever she will go through in this tough time.
Best of luck and keep on smiling.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
This is horrific news. Tara was such an inspiration to work with up at Whiteface mtn. in July. She was so upbeat and handled everything with such grace and confidence. My thoughts are with you, Tara. I hope you pull through this okay.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
keep your head up tara, I just got through 3 fractured vert and a fractured skull, albeit with significantly less issues related to the fractures.....the love and support of my friends and family as well as just staying positive were the keys to getting better. people care, and will be there for you, let them help, cause you can't do it all on your own.....

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
another quickie update from the Tara MySpace crew...

Polly and Barb have been back at the hospital with Tara since early this morning. They forced us out of the room so everyone could get some sleep, including Tara.

She has moved out of the ICU but currently is in a temporary room, she should be moved again later today which is where she will stay for a few days. We will continue to keep you posted on this information so you can send her anything you want.

She LOVES getting all your messages. Please keep sending them. Her eyes light up when she hears a success story similar to hers so if you have any, please let her know. Her spirits are still so high and her determination is remarkable. She already asked every doctor when she can begin rehab.

We will continue to post the latest information here. We will also make her profile public so your friends and family can check out her page. Thanks again to everyone...we keep telling her how many people love her and are praying for her.

Her MySpace site is now PUBLIC, so feel free to check it out for yourself.... in case i miss any updates

TARA's MYSPACE

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Thanks for the news and update.

Wishing Tara, her family and friends an endless supply of strength love healing laughter patience persistance and progress. May the good vibes and inspiration she generates around the world come back to her ten-fold now.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
you will heal, stay focused on that! yeah, you'll hurt, and you'll get frustrated, but you get better....

beginning of april...

just over 4 months later and this is a sampling of what I've done in the past month...

7hour chilcotin epic

khyber pass, high alpine whistler mtn to the valley...

our last wed night dh race, chainless a-line...

and a 4 hour alpine hike around the backside of whistler this weekend...

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
JDD thanks for the update-hard to find news of this tragedy anywhere. This is such sh1t news and I can not remember any top MTBer ever having this happen, such a bummer.
Waddell, no? One of the top Dh'rs to 22 days in a coma, to one of the top XC'rs.

That's a real bummer. Can't believe I didn't catch that from her MySpace page. Hopes for a full recovery!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Waddell, no? One of the top Dh'rs to 22 days in a coma, to one of the top XC'rs.

That's a real bummer. Can't believe I didn't catch that from her MySpace page. Hopes for a full recovery!!
Hey DH, I meant paralysis, no feeling in legs. But ya, JonWad is an inspiration to all injured racers. Mercedes Gonzalez husband Derek got hurt on moto years ago, had no feeling in legs right after accident, but now lives a very normal life, riding bikes and motos...let's hope this turns out like that.
Fight the good Fight 'Lanes'

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jesus God...

Just sent her a message on her Myspace... 2 months ago I had a bad wreck at Diablo during a practice run for a race - got away with a bruised spine. Man, I hope she's O.K.

Stay focused and stay positive - thoughts and prayers are with you.

Get well soon Tara.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Tara,
From all of us at Whiteface Mountain Bike Park our thoughts are with you.

"Downhill Mike" Scheur
Elias Ingraham
Dave Randall
Corey Brousseau
Justin Sniffen
Tynan McKillip

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Sending the good healing vibes your way Tara!!! Everytime I read a thread that has pictures of you riding/teaching/racing or what not, I get to witness the rare occasion of my wife being interested in what I'm reading. She always says the same thing too, "OH is that the Tara Llanes girl you tell me about?". Heal up quick so you can keep on ripping!

S

sr--71

Hey Tara,

all the best from the "Northriders"-DH Team here in Germany!

Pirelli
L.G.
K.P.

Everyday we look here at RM, we´re praying for good news from you!

Stay strong!