Quantcast

TdF Positive Dope Test

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10587.0.html

Anti-doping tests conducted during the recently completed 93rd Tour de France have turned up an "adverse analytical finding," the UCI confirmed Wednesday.

The name of the rider will not be released to the public until further tests are conducted. The rider and their team, national doping and cycling federations as well as the World-Anti Doping Agency have been notified.

Under anti-doping rules, a second "B" sample will be tested to confirm the results. If both samples come up positive, the rider will face sanctions for a failed doping test. If the "B" sample comes back negative, no sanction will be imposed.

The UCI said it received a report Wednesday from the anti-doping laboratory in Paris noting the "A" sample positive taken during the 2006 Tour, but did not divulge more details.

"The adverse analytical finding received this morning relates to the first analysis, and will have to be confirmed either by a counter-analysis required by the rider, or by the fact that the rider renounces to that counter analysis," the UCI said in a statement.

"The World Anti-doping Code and the Anti-doping Rules of the UCI do not allow to make the name of the concerned rider public, as well as other information that may allow identification ..." the statement added.

The test was carried out by France's national anti-doping laboratory at Chatenay-Malabry.

UCI president Pat McQuaid told AFP he would be dismayed if the test was confirmed but vowed no let-up in the war on drug cheats.

"From my point of view it's intolerable and we're determined to root out this problem and deal with it," Mcquaid said in a telephone interview. "At the moment I'm concerned over the A sample result. If the B sample turns out to be positive, I'll be angry."

This year's Tour was rocked by a drugs scandal on the eve of the race which saw 13 riders, including pre-race favourites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso, barred from taking part after they were implicated in a Spanish blood-doping ring.

It was the latest in a series of high-profile drugs controversies to tarnish cycling over the past decade, with the Tour de France being particularly hard hit.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
not necessarily. anyone who fails a drug test is suspect, but i believe every day the current yellow jersey, the stage winner, and a randomly selected rider are tested; and no one else.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You'd think a yellow jersey contender would not be so stupid as to get caught doping, knowing the backlash they'd face if caught. Then again, there's Basso, Ullrich, etc. Eh, who the hell knows.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ahhh crap. I really hope it's not Floyd.

They approved his medication. They approved his TT position too, then they made him change it right before the prologue.

splat

Nam I am
sanjuro said:
not necessarily. anyone who fails a drug test is suspect, but i believe every day the current yellow jersey, the stage winner, and a randomly selected rider are tested; and no one else.
they test 4 Minimum daily

the Yellow Jersey winner of the day , the stage winner , and 2 random riders ( usually one of them is a Jersey holder ) and they can test any 2 riders randomly before each stage. and we all know how random there choosing is.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
After the UCI announced yesterday that one rider had an A sample positive at the Tour de France, there has been strong speculation that overall winner Floyd Landis was the one. The UCI will not confirm the name of the rider until the B sample results come back, but that could be within the week.

The Times newspaper is reporting that the positive was for testosterone, and occurred after Stage 17 to Morzine. On the other hand, La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the positive was for a stimulant, it happened in the last week, and involved a "high profile rider".

Landis was supposed to have competed in a criterium in Chaam in The Netherlands on Wednesday night, but did not race, citing hip problems. He also cancelled a criterium appointment in Denmark on Thursday. So far, he has not been available for comment. "We've never experienced a situation that a 'topper' hasn't shown up without officially cancelling," said John van den Akker, who put together the start list for the Acht van Chaam, to ANP. "We've also learned nothing more from Lelangue. It's unbelievable, because Landis is one of the friendliest riders in the peloton. In the morning before the race, various people had breakfast with him and there was nothing wrong."

The UCI said that the rider, his team, his federation, his national anti-doping organisation, and the World Anti-Doping Agency have all been informed. So far, the federations of Belgium, France, Italy and Spain have all denied being contacted by the UCI. Yesterday, the US cycling federation also denied being contacted by the UCI, meaning the identity of the rider is still very much a mystery.
Interesting...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Why are people always so surprised by this?

I'm just surprised that less people get caught, but I suppose that the drugs are just that far ahead of testing.