Quantcast

Teach me about video

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I need to start doing some video production for work. I am less than a noob. Recommendations for camera and editing software needed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Final Cut Studio 2 for editing. What sort of media do you want for the camera? There is a variety of different (incompatible) card types, HDD based ones, DVD based ones, tape based ones etc.

Do you need HD or SD?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
high def, or standard def recording.

tape cams are going away and companies are switching to hard disk drives (hdd). stay away from dvd cams, 100% of them are crap.

how much are you willing to spend for a cam?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, I did spend all year getting schooled in video tech for the freecaster stuff, including the research for 4 $11 000 orders. I doubt you want one of those bad boys.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
is there no gimp for vid?

it's like buying photoshop if all you want do to a photo is to resize or rotate.
there are some free programs, but nothing to the extent like Gimp is for pictures.

PowerProducer/Power Director are pretty basic and easy video programs that dont cost crazy money.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
is there no gimp for vid?

it's like buying photoshop if all you want do to a photo is to resize or rotate.
Nope, IH8Rice is correct. There is no Gimp type application for video, mostly due to codec licensing issues & costs.

You can get lots of "ok" programs for around $750-$900. The "free" apps (windows movie maker, imovie etc) are pretty crappy. If you are just slapping 2-3 small clips together from your point and shoot, they will be fine, but I suspect Aaron wants to do a bit more than that. There is a final cut express for a hundred bucks or so, but I have never used it and apparently it lacks some pretty basic functions.

There is a reason that FCP is the industry standard, much like photoshop is for stills.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you want, PM your address and ill send you a copy of the software that comes bundled with our HD cams.

Cyberlink's products are nothing fancy, but pretty much get the job done. itll work for the new codec's too like AVCHD

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
if you want, PM your address and ill send you a copy of the software that comes bundled with our HD cams.

Cyberlink's products are nothing fancy, but pretty much get the job done. itll work for the new codec's too like AVCHD
Isn't power director a windows movie maker / imovie type clone? (Just curious, have only read reviews of it).

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
couldnt answer that one. ive only just glanced over imovie, and havent really used movie maker.

we are bundling it with our cams because we switched to the AVCHD format on our HD cams, and its one of the cheaper, but yet still good, programs out there.

its fine for what most consumers are using it for. for more advanced stuff, its not up to par

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i can do almost all i need to now in Lightroom :monkeydance:

i guess if i figured out how actually do layer masks well, i'd use PS more.
Layer masks are my big reason for photoshop, well, that and web work. I use LR for the majority of stuff now as well. Anything print though gets sharpened properly in PS for specific output. I won't trust LR for doubletruck quality work. It might just be me but I feel PS offers better adjustment.

In any case, FCP is a kick ass suite. Edit, color correct, create audio etc. I dig it.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
There is a reason that FCP is the industry standard, much like photoshop is for stills.
which industry are we talking about here?

i could have sworn that avid was a pretty big player in the editing world. in my experience i'd have to say that it is fairly comparable with fcp.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

i could have sworn that avid was a pretty big player in the editing world. in my experience i'd have to say that it is fairly comparable with fcp.
Avid used to be, but FCP is pulling ahead from what I understand (for film, i don't know much about tv stuff). That said, FCP is cheaper than Avid and does more. It also offers a lot of networking/sharing functions for network production that Avid doesn't.

Edius is apparently making a push now that they have an HD suite available, as it renders and edits in real time, which is a huge advantage.

From an associated press article I found:
Final Cut Pro is the first choice of many independent film makes, and is taught in film schools across the country over any other editing software. The program allows you virtually unlimited audio and video tracks and endless possibilities for layering and transitioning in between them. In general, Final Cut Pro is a very user-friendly program with keyboard short cuts, as well as menu bar shortcuts so theoretically you will never forget how to do an effect or make a transition. Final Cut Pro is designed to work side by side with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects, which can allow you to add even more spice to your projects. Final Cut Pro has also released an HD version of their program allowing you to edit your projects in High Definition. Final Cut pro Studio also comes with Soundtrack for making your own royalty free music, Live type for making professional looking graphics, and Shake and Motion. Final Cut Pro is typically used by creative professionals working in advertising, television, and film.

Avid has long since been an industry standard as far as non-linear editing systems go. When people in the industry think non-linear editing they think Avid. As Final Cut pro has gotten better and better throughout the years Avid has started to be used less and less. While Avid can offer you many of the same features as Final Cut Pro as far as the video editing is concerned, it is a lot less user friendly program overall. While Final Cut Pro has controls on the screen to help you out if your forget shortcuts Avid requires a good amount of learning out of the gate in order to operate it. If you forget a short cut in Avid the manual is your only resource for retrieving it. Today Avid tends t be used in more technical video editing fields like television news.

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
So how about recommendations for a non-hd camera? Thousand or less.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Layer masks are my big reason for photoshop, well, that and web work. I use LR for the majority of stuff now as well. Anything print though gets sharpened properly in PS for specific output. I won't trust LR for doubletruck quality work. It might just be me but I feel PS offers better adjustment.

In any case, FCP is a kick ass suite. Edit, color correct, create audio etc. I dig it.
Yeah, Lightroom is pretty much all I use now (unless I need to do selective adjustments), except for getting images ready for print and graphics.

I got Sony Vegas Pro 8 for $100 from bh photo (disc only) instead of like $700 or so. You could probably find an older version of FCP on ebay. Spending $1000 for way more than you need/want is a little much.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Who was right? Go ahead you can say it...:D

I still send stuff to PS for sharpening if it's going to be bigger than an 8x10. You still use iView to catalog, or did you move that to LR as well?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Who was right? Go ahead you can say it...:D

I still send stuff to PS for sharpening if it's going to be bigger than an 8x10. You still use iView to catalog, or did you move that to LR as well?
Hell no. Iview was gone when it turned into the microsoft expression crap. It is now a steaming pile. LR cataloging is really nice. I just wish they would add proper 2 display options, a la Aperture. They added functionality in 2.0, but not enough.

I wanted an app I could do the majority of my work in and Lightroom is the answer for now. Hopefully Adobe continues to improve on it. It still hates large 20k + image libraries, which is what I work with. C1 still outputs better skintones and reds, but it is too much trouble jumping back and forth and outputting folders of files to import into another app to process etc.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So how about recommendations for a non-hd camera? Thousand or less.
Start searching for a panasonic dvx100 (not dvx100a or dvx100b because they will be more), or a canon gl1 or canon gl2.

Shlt tons of all of them around and very reliable. And you'll have much more image control than some handycam pickle sized thing.

As retarded as it sounds it's actually getting difficult to find a decent SD cam these days.

And don't buy that crap about FCP being the end all be all of editing software. :D

The mac platform's superiority isn't such a given any more. Get what you can for the system you have. Lots of equally capable software these days.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
And don't buy that crap about FCP being the end all be all of editing software. :D

The mac platform's superiority isn't such a given any more. Get what you can for the system you have. Lots of equally capable software these days.
He has a Macbook Air.

A GL2 is about $2000 new right now, used probably closer to $1600. They definitely have more control than those small handy cams, that's for damn sure. GL1 is about $1000 heavily used. It also has no VU meters with can be an issue if you are filming interviews and want good audio.

If you really wanna be a baller, you can go pickup a Sony EX1, which is what we used for Freecaster. Great camera, had a few bizarre quirks and some absolutely terrible transfer software than lost more than one days worth of work. They run about $8000 :D

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
He has a Macbook Air.
When I typed my last post I was still kind of thinking mac = FCP and nothing else. While they obviously work well together I forgot how little each platform matters anymore. You can pretty much get any software for either now. But yeah FCP will be fine. Depending on your workflow there are some programs that do everything FC does but performs better in some areas.

A GL2 is about $2000 new right now, used probably closer to $1600.
Hell I just sold a MINT one with extra batteries and some glass about 6 months ago for 1200. You can easily find one for 1K, which is why I said ebay. Those things aren't worth what they ask new anymore.

It also has no VU meters with can be an issue if you are filming interviews and want good audio.
Not entirely true. There's one on the display.

If you really wanna be a baller, you can go pickup a Sony EX1, which is what we used for Freecaster. Great camera, had a few bizarre quirks and some absolutely terrible transfer software than lost more than one days worth of work. They run about $8000 :D
Sure if you want flat colors and crappy rolling shutter artifacts. CCDs for action!:D

You guys should have talked to me before you bought your gear ;)

In all fairness the rolling shutter isn't that bad on the EX1. It's bad enough I'd never pay the 6200 they cost these days though. You wouldn't ever notice it with interviews......

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya we didn't notice much smearing but the rolling shutter wobble was there as were flat colors that needed to be touched up in every friggin' edit.

If you want to see REALLY bad wobble, check out the new canon 5dmk2 in HD video mode. Yikes, enough to make you ill with the stretching and wobbling and general queasiness.

And i Believe they payed $7999 for them...3 or 4 times.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I need to start doing some video production for work. I am less than a noob. Recommendations for camera and editing software needed.
Where is this going to be seen? The web? Broadcast TV? In HD or SD?

What is your budget? Is this a paid gig or for fun?

For the cheap route I would suggest Final Cut (wahtever they call the cheap version) & a camcorder but for talking heads you might want a rig with audio inputs so you can put a lav mic on your talking head.

I am guessing you are going to need to add lower thirds & other graphics to your vid. FC works with PSDs, so you should be go to go with that piece of software if you have PS.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Eh, Avid is pretty much the standard but that is changing rapidly...about time if you ask me.

If you are applying for an Editing job having Avid on your resume is a must.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Avid will always have an elitist snob appeal. Editors hate the fact that kids can do what they can in their bedrooms with FC & an apple mom & pop bought them for their bday.