Quantcast

Team Maxxis DH team to ride Ellsworth

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Look at any advertisement for the Haros from last season. Notice the 8" of spacer, the drop crown when it's not needed...just **** like that. It's a GI Joe's special. They had absolutely no idea what they were doing. The pivot was tiny, the leverage was huge, the angles were ****, the shock actuation angles were ****. You're basically saying the walmart special pacific is the same as an Orange or any other high dollar single pivot. There are a lot of mechanical variations in different single pivot designs.

In any case, IronHorse has the Yakuzas which are cheap and the pivot is in the right spot, the angles work, etc. Good bikes. Simple Singlepivot. Things are good. The haro sucks.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Honestly I was just looking for a thought out answer. I have never even seen a Haro. There is just a lot a flaming that goes on in these boards for no reason.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Mick specifically would break approx. 1 swing arm per 3 runs on a given course and if the course was rough (idaho 05) he would easily run through 2 in practice.
Funny, the weekend I rode with Mick we did 10+ runs and no swing arms exploded into dust like you mention.

I'm not saying they are a good bike, IMHO they are all sorts of wrong. But that bashing is a little unfair. The biggest problem Mick told me he had with the bike was that the swing arm would bottom out on the mainframe in the only shock/geo setting he liked.

Punter

Chimp
May 8, 2006
ellsworth bikes are asspants. a proven crap DH Design.

If they are supplying a team like maxxis which has a pretty tight record, and a decent history of bikes under them, they had better come up with something decent.

Also, for Cams sake i hope like f*ck they do. Supplying a bag of sh*t to the current junior world champion would be insulting to Maxxis and Cameron.

Who knows, maybe Ellsworth have already got the sickest bike possible in secret production for the maxxis team. I hope so.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
^^^you have no idea what you are talking about....
What are you talking about? Go back and read my posts. The only thing I said I knew about the Haro was that it looked, not was, like a couple of other bikes with indisputabely similar designs and that the price was low. All I wanted was an explanation for the bashing.

I don't know why I am so dissapointed that this place is the wrong one for intellectual -- don't drink the kool-aid -- debate.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The biggest problem Mick told me he had with the bike was that the swing arm would bottom out on the mainframe in the only shock/geo setting he liked.
translation: the bike is too high/steep in its current setup, so Mick was trying to shove a shorter eye-to-eye shock in it to make it rideable. not that that's never been done before (whistling innocently), but it definitely shows that there's something not optimal in the original design.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
What are you talking about? Go back and read my posts. The only thing I said I knew about the Haro was that it looked, not was, like a couple of other bikes with indisputabely similar designs and that the price was low. All I wanted was an explanation for the bashing.

I don't know why I am so dissapointed that this place is the wrong one for intellectual -- don't drink the kool-aid -- debate.

discussing the performance of the Haro doesn't fall into the realm of intellectual debate. it's like arguing the merits of cantilever brakes on DH bikes. The cliche from academia applies to these message boards; "the debates are so fierce becasue the stakes are so low."

I expect to be dissapointed :huh:

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
discussing the performance of the Haro doesn't fall into the realm of intellectual debate. it's like arguing the merits of cantilever brakes on DH bikes. The cliche from academia applies to these message boards; "the debates are so fierce becasue the stakes are so low."

I expect to be dissapointed :huh:
Now that is a response I can appreciate.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
"It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings. But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap snap, and Angel gets set on fire."

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
my favorite:

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said. "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down, he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

huh? your post before that siad you never seen a haro before, so how can you comment on it when you haven't even seen one before or know anything about it?

and with bike designs, small differences on paper make huge differences in ride quality. a single pivot is not a single pivot. kinda the same way a wall mart bike not the same strenght as a dh bike that weights the same.:p

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
can't believe i missed the whole 7 spring derailment!

brought back some memories, like Aaron dumping over

the candy crane in the arcade making for a grab and dash!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
sam hill could win on that.

by himself.
Just imagine...

Sam Hill And Chuck Norris on a tandem Sunday. :shocked:

Somebody with skills needs to get busy with photoshop. I feel a new thread brewing...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
BTW I hear that Ellsworth is going to be making a cruiser frame that uses a 'proper' CVT (constantly variable transmission) that's built into the rear hub.

The hub has the same range of gearing as a traditional 27 speed set up but you have constant cadence and effort.

Maybe he's going to incorporate that into his DH bike..

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
BTW I hear that Ellsworth is going to be making a cruiser frame that uses a 'proper' CVT (constantly variable transmission) that's built into the rear hub.

The hub has the same range of gearing as a traditional 27 speed set up but you have constant cadence and effort.

Maybe he's going to incorporate that into his DH bike..
Maybe...

It's a NuVinci hub. Some seriously large ball bearings in there. You could drop the weight a bunch with some ceramic balls, but $$$. Neat stuff.