Quantcast

Thank you Team Wrongway!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Id just like to offer my ginormous thanks to ALL of the Team Wrongway members, friends, spouses, and significant others who helped to put on the best GGG yet.

I had an awesome time.

Best stuff about the GGG:

* Its local, and easy to get to.
* Probably 90% of the riders are from Santa Clara, Alameda, San Mateo, or CC counties so it's all bro's you know.
* Totally no stress environment. Everyone is smiling.
* Super cool, super fast course.
* Excellent race management.
* Keith White, shuttle driver extrodinaire

Thanks ya'all.
Please, please, please keep it going. Now that it has become an established local event I'm sure you can get some help from other groups to put it on.

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
Hell yeah man.... that was a blast. First GGG I've been too and will be at everyone in the future if you keep it going.

I'm sure if you need it, people will volunteer (if that's what it takes to keep it going)

Thanks again

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Yeah, I'm really happy with the way things turned out. What a great experience for a first real DH race. A couple of the kids were complaining about passing though.. how would it turn out if you guys spaced the riders 45 seconds apart, and cut down on the breaks in between the groups? I'm sure there was reasoning behind the schedule.

And a definite big thanks to the guy who lent me a caliper bolt so I could race. Dig it, I'll be back next year.

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
Sorry about the incorrect spelling of your name - a few things things could be the potential reason for the error:

1. Lack of sleep
2. Poor handwriting
3. Just plain screwed up

We do our best but since this stuff is all manually entered there is the potential for a mistake here and there. Let me know the correct spelling and when I post the results on the website I'll make sure that it is correct.

As for the spacing, we used to do 1 minute, but people complained it was too long (both racers and volunteers). Made the day a long one, and the raffle is long enough. So we went to 30 seconds so everyone could get in and out quickly. 45 seconds might be a good alternative if we ever decide to do this again.

Even though we feel our event is about as good as it gets, there is always room for improvement.

Glad you guys liked it and hope you had a great time. As I've put on our banners from our main page, the planets seemed to align nicely. The event pretty much went without any problems and seemed like everyone was pleased. Good way to go out, eh? :)

I'm glad I made it home safely after nearly passing out at the wheel about 5 or 6 times after about 2 hours of sleep last night.

Hope to have the results posted by the end of tomorrow.

Mike

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Originally posted by ginmtb
Sorry about the incorrect spelling of your name - a few things things could be the potential reason for the error:

1. Lack of sleep
2. Poor handwriting
3. Just plain screwed up

We do our best but since this stuff is all manually entered there is the potential for a mistake here and there. Let me know the correct spelling and when I post the results on the website I'll make sure that it is correct.

As for the spacing, we used to do 1 minute, but people complained it was too long (both racers and volunteers). Made the day a long one, and the raffle is long enough. So we went to 30 seconds so everyone could get in and out quickly. 45 seconds might be a good alternative if we ever decide to do this again.

Even though we feel our event is about as good as it gets, there is always room for improvement.

Glad you guys liked it and hope you had a great time. As I've put on our banners from our main page, the planets seemed to align nicely. The event pretty much went without any problems and seemed like everyone was pleased. Good way to go out, eh? :)

I'm glad I made it home safely after nearly passing out at the wheel about 5 or 6 times after about 2 hours of sleep last night.

Hope to have the results posted by the end of tomorrow.

Mike
No need to explain, you guys rock. I was just poking fun of another pro that was mad cause he has been racing since 1988 and still hasn't figured out that there is no money in bikes and was about to cry cause you guys spelled his name wrong. Next year, if he shows up you guys should misspell it again. Yes next year cause this race rocks.

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
Oh, sorry missed that one. :) I didn't get to witness Mr. "Pro" but I did hear about it afterwards. Pretty dang funny. I wish some people wouldn't take themselves so seriously. It's all about having a good time, isn't it?

Mike

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
I had a blast. Was supposed to be my first race ever, but I ended up as a DNS, 'cause I wrecked Saturday on the finish-line jump. HAH

Oh well, it was worth it anyway to see the atmosphere of the whole thing.
Great job.

[un]

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bernal Heights, SF
Thanks TWW, I loved the event and can't wait for the next one. But why wait for a year, I could do this race again in a couple of months. Drop my $45 and come home with another PlanetX Frame :cool:
So thanks again guys.

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Originally posted by Acadian
I heard about the little problems at the top :(

I say blame it on Garbanzo..:devil:

What ever french fry next time I see you, I will be kicking you in the balls.

I heard about the little problems at the top :(

I say blame it on Garbanzo..:devil:

Yeah, it was a bit of a challenge to say the least. No rear brakes on that course is NOT GOOD! I think I went OTB twice and spun out three more times!! :angry: I blame Hayes for their lame-o bleed valve cover that pops off at the drop of a hat. Hmmm.....Brian, want to hook me up with some Hopes?? :sneaky:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Addendum to previous good stuff about the GGG:

*Has anyone ever been to a race at which the race director himself would hop on a moto and haul-arse to the top of the hill to bring some random dude a tube so he can race? Hell, I don't think NORBA would bring Steve Pete a tube, let alone an ametuer.

Scott, that was a kick arse thing to do. BTW, how did you not smack that guy when he had his finger in your face yelling at you about not knowing what it's like to be a pro?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
solid race. glad to see the ramps were placed in better locations.

mr. pro was hilarious. i kept laughing in my head for a few hours after that. some people just dont understand what racing bikes is all about.

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
I'll answer for Scott since he is probably still passed out (I'm still hurtin' some too).

Apparently this "pro" was complaining that our Pro Payback didn't go 5 deep. He indicated that he has been racing since 1988 and relies on his racing to make money to help feed his family. He did mention he was an electrician too - if he is any good he's probably making $40-$50/hour. That's what makes this comical - here is our pro payback:

Pro payback schedule:

1st place - $65
2nd place - $50
3rd place - $35

He kept saying that we make tons of money on this race so we should've paid the top 5 pros. Okay, so say this guy took 5th place (don't wanna name names). Based on the schedule above if we continued to 5th place, he would've been paid $5. He has no idea obviously of race promotion. We don't make that much money on this event in the big scheme of things. Based on the hours put into it, we're talking minimum wage at best.

The worst part was the fact that he got into the face of one of our women at the registration booth. The poor bastard though picked the wrong woman to mess with as she can easily hold her own and send the $hite right back. She didn't even mention it later - that's how pathetic it was.

Anyhow, that probably was the only real "issue" we had at the race. One guy probably had a concussion after stacking it at the chute near the end and then that kid collapsed in the parking lot (hopefully he's okay). I think on Saturday we had a couple of broken bones - none super major or life threatening so that's good.

One thing we had dialed in was the results and the posting process. Did we set the bar high or what? Name another race that put results out in about 5 minutes or less after the class was completed.

Mike

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
I just want to give a big thanks to Scott, Mike and everyone else involved!!! I had a blast and I think NORBA could learn a few things from you guys. I hope this race continues on for years to come becasue if not it will be sorely missed. Thanks again for putting on the funnest race of the year!

D

Dingus McGee

If only all events were run like this........ that was fast!

I see it was a tale of 2 Curtii in the pro ranks.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
one of the pro men doesn't look too happy!!

Thanks for posting the results so quick....heck, I'm still waiting for some results for some XC races I did 4 years ago!! :rolleyes: ;)
I think that was last years pic.

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
I can assure you that is this year's photo - no Curtis Keane dang it. :( Oh well, real Pro's are often busy so I understand him taking off. My guess is unhappy pro in the photo is our "good friend". :p

Mike

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Originally posted by ginmtb

Anyhow, that probably was the only real "issue" we had at the race. One guy probably had a concussion after stacking it at the chute near the end and then that kid collapsed in the parking lot (hopefully he's okay). I think on Saturday we had a couple of broken bones - none super major or life threatening so that's good.

Mike
I was standing about 5 feet away from that guy when he landed. I was amazed he got up and finished, I felt like making him stay down, but who am I?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That was my first year there and I have to say I'm sorry to learn that you guys won't be hosting again. I don't race much but events like this are worth going out of the way for. I had a great time. Hopefully someone else can take over the event for upcoming years.

Thank you also for having some grass on the side of the trails. It helped to slow my face down once I had dragged it across about 10 feet of dirt. Now the inside of my full face will smell like spring all summer long. That's a very good thing.

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
You sure? It appears he has the 5th place medal on (oops, exposing his identity). Maybe the hat pulled down low makes him look younger.

Mike

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
The "kid" that took 5th place is 29. The oldest Pro registered was 34. The 4th place guy is 18 (racing age). So you're probably correct though that the 5th place guy isn't the guy (that would make him 13 or 14 when he said he was pro, if in fact that were true).

Oh well, enough energy spent on Mr. Pro. There will always be someone who isn't happy, even if the race went as without a hitch.

Mike