Quantcast

Thank you to everyone at COMFORT

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I first learned that there was a DH race in Texas from Oronde (trialsmasta) while I was being a specator at the trials competition @ Bar H Bash. I was so excisted and made a decision to go that instant. Things came up along the way, including getting layed off of my job, that could have been used as an excuse not to make the drive. But it was too late, I had already made a decision to go.

Finally race weekend. I had all my gear and my bike was working great. I wanted to meet a whole bunch of people from H town, SA and Austin. That I had read and heard about. I tried to get out of Dallas early Friday in order to arrive confort early friday evening. That didn't happen. It was well after dark and the beer was flowing at Camp Mojo. Too late for me to catch up with them in the beer dept and too late to go from tent-to-tent saying "hi, my name is joel". Anyway, I decided to go take a shower. Holly #%&! that was cold. I just washed from my ass down & suffered major shrinkage. No way that cold water was making it to my chest, pits or melon. While crying out in the shower, I wound up talking to Carlos, a mechanic of bike Mojo. He was cool. I hung with him for a little bit. He pointed out the crazy guys from LA. Kevin and ????? Crap, I can see their faces and remember their bikes but cant remember their names. We hung out Friday night. It was all good.

It got late and I went to sleep. I didn't get to hang out and meet as many folks as I had wanted to. O well, I knew Saturday night would be much better. All the DH guys would be together then.

9am sat. my crew from dallas was no where in sight. me and the LA crew got geared up and went to check out the cources. I made 3 full runs. 2-sport 1- expert. I loved the cources. The shuttle runs were classic. 4 sweet DH bikes in the bed of the tired 4x4 and 3 more rigs in the back of the death trailer stalling out mid way up the hill cause the driver forgot to put the truck in 4WD. I love to sell that as a post card in Vail, Co. as "Texas DH".

Later in the morning I'd made my practice runs. I was still going off course alot. I didn't care, I was having a blast. More and more riders with Killer DH bikes were showing up. I was really impressed and I so looked forward to racing and then getting to talk and hang out with all these guys. Finally, my friends from Dallas showed up in the shuttle truck. YIPPEE !! it was on. We were making a few last hits at the creep jump and then were going to the top to make another full practice or maybe wait until the race.

Then I got hurt. I wasn't right in the air after jumping the creek. I'm a good jumper and a good rider and rarely wreck. This was just a freek deal. I remember making the decision not to try and land it. Yet, I don't think I completely threw away the bike either. All I knew was that it hurt when I landed. I didn't see my foot and remember preparing the crowd around me as the Medics were cutting off my sock not to gasp, barf, or otherwise make horrific gestures - if it was indeed gross. I don't deal with gore very well. Rick is the only name I remember from this initial rescue. He handled the situation very well and I responded positively to that. Thank you Rick very much. There were about 4+ other people that helped carry me to the Mule and then drive me to the EMT's. I know my friend John helped carry me as well as jason made sure all my stuff got back to my truck. Thank you john and jason. There were so many people there on the scence when I wrecked. I heard every single "hang-in-there", " help-is-on-the-way", "your bikes ok". I heard it all and eventhough It way have not seemed to help, it was reassuring and made the situation tons better. There is no way I can personally call each of you to say thanks. BUT, you know who you are and I'm talking specifically to you when I say, thank you.

I broke my heel into a bunch of pieces. No pain medicine was working. I mentally broke down about 4 pm and cried like a baby till 7 pm when I went into the OR. Dr. Harris finished the surgery and called my partents by midnight. My parents and little brothers ( 11 & 12 yrs) came to Comfort Sunday afternoon to get my stuff and then spent some time with me.

Since getting out of surgery, I've been feeling good. Minimal pain, yet it's constant and wears on you. I heard that many people were asking and concerned about my condition. Thank you all for your prayers.

A special thanks for George Longoria, Terri Dreiss, Jordan Blake, and DanSleeper for coming to see me. They each brought me something very special that made my hospital stay better. Ya'll didn't have to do that, thank you. and Robert Dickerson for an encouraging phone call on Wednesday. thank dude.

I've decided to keep Dr. Harris as my doctor for this injury. He's in SA and I will make the drive from Dallas to see him as scheduled. I will need one more surgery and I like Dr. Harris and want him to continue his work.

I look forward to next years race. I will be there. I've made that decision already. I look forward to riding again late summer and persuing the relationships that were started this past weekend in Comfort Texas.

Please feel free to contact me too. I will be online from time to time. Shoot me an e-mail directly

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Joel Hester
joel_cmyk@hotmail.com
469-371-3243 dallas metro #

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Hey man i only got to briefly meet you this past weekend. I'm sorry you got hurt but hope you will get better really soon so you can show an XC guy a thing or two about DH. Heal quick,

Tony

Stinky Monkey

Monkey
Sep 2, 2001
The Big Sleazy again!
Joel,
Good to hear from you man. I hope the recoverery is quick.
It was great meeting you and hanging out Friday night.
Lloyd jacked up his knee during practice Sat. morning, I brought him to the hospital in Kerrville. I had a fever of around a 100 so was not racing anyway. Rick crashed on his first run and by the end of the day his ass was the color of your M-1.
We faired a lot better than you tho.
Keep in touch.
Take care.
See you in Comfort next year.
Kevin

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Glad to hear your doing better bro. Sorry i couldnt make it up to see you with Jordan:( Let us know how your doing from time to time.
Peace, Josh