Quantcast

that feeling once you realize your bike is too small

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
my trusty South African steed Morewood Izimu (froggys) that i have had since 2007 feels too small now
-knees come up inches away from the bars when sitting ( not an integrated stem )
-feels like it "disappears" from beneath me when i stand tall on it

i am not sure if it is a large or small ( i believe they did not make a medium back in 2006 ) and after this roadtrip around canada and US that me and my friends took and sharing my friends large sinister r9 and large demo8, it made me realize that my bike feels to small :(

me on my bike at green river on the road trip

i am 5'11
my mates kinda agree that it looks a tad small on me, so i am not sure what to do, maybe buy a newer izimu but in large? or a new frame?
..is this thread even necessary? :D

but yeah, any pointers or whatever would be cool

thanks
jordan

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
You are 5' 11" so really you can probably go between a MD or LG of most brands. I am 6' 1" and can do that as well. I am testing a MD Norco Aurum right now and could easily buy that size bike. So to answer the question yes it is probably to small for you. Based on your knee hitting while seated.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm around 6' and my metric for gauging the size of a DH bike is that my knee should come no closer than the length of my hand (heel to middle finger tip) away from the bars.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
You say how it fits but not how it rides. Do you ever wish you had a longer, more stable front end? Does it ever feel endo prone or unstable at speed. Do you have to get way back in high speed loose stuff or for steeps?

I had a medium Bullit and loved how it felt dirtjumping and playing on flow trails. On climbs I felt too cramped and on steeps or high speed rough stuff I didn't have anywhere near the confidence of my large DH bike. I replaced it with a large 7" bike and prefer it for overall riding but I've lost some of that BMX feel on jumps.

Last edited:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
No one is helping because we are jealous of your trip ;)
haha i still have to update you guys with some pics of that trip :weee:

"Lelandjt
You say how it fits but not how it rides. Do you ever wish you had a longer, more stable front end? Does it ever feel endo prone or unstable at speed. Do you have to get way back in high speed loose stuff or for steeps? "

yeah, i love my izimu but if it was larger then i feel like i would have alot more control at high speeds and confidence

it sucks having to go back to the "drawing board" for a new frame/ bike

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If the bike feels too small for you it probably is.
Ill take my own judgement over some numbers anyday...
100% tactical feels bro

does your bike feel too small? would you like a bigger bike? do bigger bikes feel more better?

there's no real mathiness behind DH bike sizing. You can recommend something to somebody, but if they don't like it, then they're right.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
If the bike feels too small for you it probably is.
Ill take my own judgement over some numbers anyday...
"100% tactical feels bro

does your bike feel too small? would you like a bigger bike? do bigger bikes feel more better?

there's no real mathiness behind DH bike sizing. You can recommend something to somebody, but if they don't like it, then they're right. "

cheers :thumb:

my poor izimu :(

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
If you have my old frame then it's a large...I'm 6'3" and never owned a small Izimu or Makulu...or any small Morewood for that matter. Sorry I can't help on setup...but I liked the size. Is that my 07, or 08 frame?

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I am 5'10 and rip a 2012 Small TR450. I had my bike in the stand for a weekend I took off to ride my Single Crown and shoot Single Crown Saturday (http://www.pinkbike.com/video/283406/) I must of grown like a foot that weekend. Because I dropped my TR450 out of the stand and it was just tiny. Like its a nimble bike to begin with. But like I was befudled. I made sure someone didn't like drop the fork, put 20inch wheels on, deflate the tire. Because this bike was just sow low and little.
I will be riding a 2013 Medium Musashi next season! Definatly need a bigger bike, but I tend to run a small bike

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
If you have my old frame then it's a large...I'm 6'3" and never owned a small Izimu or Makulu...or any small Morewood for that matter. Sorry I can't help on setup...but I liked the size. Is that my 07, or 08 frame?
lol just the man i was looking for.. i was thinking today, you guys were pretty big dudes and i wouldnt think you guys would have smalls

i believe it was a 2006
(photo taken july 2007)

p.s you boys got any morewood frames up for sale?

im stuck between a rock and a hard place damnit

Last edited:

Muddy24/7

Chimp
Nov 10, 2012
London
What sandwich said.

Sounds to me like there is maybe a confidence issue on the bike? I'm no psychotherapist lol but I'm a firm believer in sizing being a very personal thing. Size guides tell me I need a large frame usually - but I never buy one. I always buy a medium because I feel more confident on a slightly smaller frame that I can move around on and move from point a to b more quickly.

So i'd say don't let a salesman or an inanimate catalogue tell you what you should do. You really ought to try a friends bike that is a large or something. Ride them for a while and you might realise that it feels right after all.

As for frame or bike thing - do you like your components or not? Some people feel they have that sweet spot in their components, love the feel of their brakes etc. If you do.. then buy a frame. If not, buy a new bike and embrace the new. :D

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
What sandwich said.

Sounds to me like there is maybe a confidence issue on the bike? I'm no psychotherapist lol but I'm a firm believer in sizing being a very personal thing. Size guides tell me I need a large frame usually - but I never buy one. I always buy a medium because I feel more confident on a slightly smaller frame that I can move around on and move from point a to b more quickly.

So i'd say don't let a salesman or an inanimate catalogue tell you what you should do. You really ought to try a friends bike that is a large or something. Ride them for a while and you might realise that it feels right after all.

As for frame or bike thing - do you like your components or not? Some people feel they have that sweet spot in their components, love the feel of their brakes etc. If you do.. then buy a frame. If not, buy a new bike and embrace the new. :D

my friends have a large demo8 and a large sinister r9 and i prefer the larger feel.. iv ridden them a couple runs and it felt much better
At 6' tall I strongly prefer large frames.
yeah im in the same boat

so now the fun part

buying a used frame ( $800 +/- budget ) and then putting my mediocre parts on it ( will be buying new brakes and fork and some other odd ends like direct stem exc )

or a completely new rig.. and selling my 'wood as a whole

any suggestions mates?