Quantcast

That one thing you did........

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
You know, very stupid at the time, yet all these years later, you look back and say "I'm appreciative I still have that souvenir".

I'll set the stage........

2001, AZ/NY World Series, Game 7, bottom of the 9th, AZ has the bases loaded, Gonzo at bat, and bloops a game-winning single past the infielders. DIAMONDBACKS WIN!!!!!!, and I proceed to jump around the house like a complete idiot, no alcohol involved, and SSNNAAPP, rupture my Achilles tendon. I'll leave out the rest of the details, however, all these years later, I enjoy sharing the story with players/guests at work, and yes, still have the scar to prove it (though I'm unable to download it at this time). AH, the memories.

Now, RM-land, it's your turn.......

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Became separated from my friends and got really really lost. Ran out of food and water. Froze my ass off and slept in a Bulldozer cab for 2 days until I was found... Allegheny National Forest Ridgeway PA...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Became separated from my friends and got really really lost. Ran out of food and water. Froze my ass off and slept in a Bulldozer cab for 2 days until I was found... Allegheny National Forest Ridgeway PA...
If I guess what drugs were involved do I win a prize?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Met my ex wife at a Halloween party, she gives me her #. At the time I had a 3 call policy. Get a #, call 3 times over maybe 10 days, and if I dont get a return call, you go in the circular file. She calls back after the 3d, maybe a week later. I heard and saw the robot from "Lost in Space" in my head saying "WARNING, WARNING...WARNING..." yet I called her back anyway. (In my defense, she was (Emphasis WAS) hot. Blonde, blue eyed, big boobs, ex UCLA cheerleader...but quite frankly one of the worst people I have ever met, and now a complete trainwreck).

Although I am in a good place now, and realize that my relationship with her helped build the road I now travel, if I could change the fact that I ever met her and some of the people we associated with, I most definitely would...

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
When i was about 5, i had a toy helicopter that had spinning blades. Me, being the pyromaniac that i am, decided to light one of the blades on fire and hit the spin button. Call it karma, but the melted plastic just happened to fall on my right hand. Still have the burn make clear as day. I still love fire.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My grandparents house was build up room by room by my grandfather ever since my mom was little. That means it was built during communism, with insuficent resources by a man who had little engineering knowledge outside of what he picked up on construction jobs. The house was sound but it had some pretty strange design solutions. The strangest of them was that to reach the room of my youngest aunt and the attic you had too use this strange thick angled wooden ladder that ended with a wall. I used it often since the attic housed my bikes, skateboard and other good stuff (also jam). So one day my bright 6 year old mind decides it's boring to walk down the ladder since the steps are huge so I try to ride down the ladder on a skateboard. At the end of the ladder was a wall but fortunately while falling down I fall on my back and not kill myself. Strangely no known scars. My strangest scar still comes from someone else being stupid (a skier) and trying to present me with a 2nd asshole a day before my snowboard instructor exam.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
got puddled and really pissed off some extraterrestrial ambassadors at the machine elf convention. the only way i could avoid being quarantined in the pillars of creation was to play euchre with the the assistant deputy of introspective ruminations for my freedom.
needless to say i won using less than kosher means.
could have been an ugly Tuesday morning.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
got puddled and really pissed off some extraterrestrial ambassadors at the machine elf convention. the only way i could avoid being quarantined in the pillars of creation was to play euchre with the the assistant deputy of introspective ruminations for my freedom.
Dude. You play euchre? :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
psp is that you?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am on my 3rd marriage, so you could say I have done AT LEAST 2 stupid things in my life. Like @JohnE there are things that are good that came out of those phases of the life, but hindsight is a bitch.

And there was that one time I the whole corner in the Vette. :rofl:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hmmm. Lots to choose from, but poking out my left eye with a wood carving tool when I was 3 takes the win (loss?). Can't say I'm particularly appreciative about it though...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Looking back on all the really crazy and some really dumb adventures I have had probably the most extreme, exhilarating,push it to the limit and multiple times of near death experience was in 1991 on Mt Shasta.
It was a drought year, lack of snow cover in many places on the route, pre internet so no real long term forecasts. I was working at Montbel as a shlep. Doug Robinson was running the North American Office. I was friends with one of the Japanese Employees/ climber and all around insane mountaineer Kenjii (Keg) Kukita. For my 35th birthday we decided to climb Shasta on Dec 18th via the Casavale Ridge route using minimal gear. We were fucking nuts. Food was the free supply of Power Bars from a sponsor. one msr whisperlight with one bottle of fuel to melt water, Winter bags, ultralight packs and a black diamond megamid tent. Technical ice tools, foot fangs with monopoints, goretex shells, fleece pants and gown jackets, two 8mm ropes, ice screws and pickets.

We made the saddle at 11000' the first day with no issues. then we started up the ridge early in the pre dawn of day two. lose rock slabs, crumbly volcanic spires and sparse snow meant no ropes and solo climbing. each or us almost pealed off once or twice. We mad the summit hours later that we planned. Keg soled up a rime ice chimney like a spider to the summit. I took the trail.

It was a warm day but now late afternoon and really tired we started back down. the route up was a no go but it looked like we could go down giddy giddy gulch and traverse over to our bivy.
The wind started to come up with mares tail clouds and the temp started to fall. About a 1/3 of the way into the gulch descent the first clattering of rockfall from the ridge up to our right came down. It was small stuff at first. it was about to get worse. The warm day had melted a lot of snow and the water had trickled down into the loose brecca and was now starting to freeze and frost wedge the rocks.

At first it was easy to dodge the rocks then they started to come with more speed and higher volume the further down the gulch we went. The rock walls on both sides left us no way out. We ran zig zagging dodging rock fall. Keg took a softball sized rock into the middle of his backpack that sent him tumbling head over heels until he self arrested. I remember that look in his eye, one of we are fucked, as he said "I am open to Suggestion". I looked around and maybe 800 to 1000 feet below us was a house sized Boulder with a small moraine in front of it. I pointed and said Run for it. We ran straight down in full crampons, rocks whizzing around us. the clattering was deafening. We were running for our lives. Nothing felt so good as to get behind that dam thing. Rocks were hitting it and shattering. we huddled under our packs and helmets as small rocks rained down. Keg grabbed my arm and said look. He pointed out to where we had just been. Rocks the size from softballs to basketballs were flying down the gulch taking 50 foot bounces. I looked at him and he said if we were still out there we would be dead. We sat there for 3 hours watching the moon come up and waiting for the rockfall to stop.

Finally we headed to camp. the clouds started whipping in it, was near zero snow started falling. we reached camp just as the winds kicked up. the megamid shredded (seam Failed). The winds were coming off avalanche gulch so strong that we could not stand in them, the only choice was to keep going down giddy giddy gulch. About an hour down canyon we got out of the wind. It was cold but we had the gear. I knew that there was a fire road that circled the peak at 4000' so all we had to do was reach that and turn left. Did I mention that eating half frozen power bars is next to impossible? those suckers become hard as rocks.

We were in the mindset that all we had to do was keep walking for 24-30 hours total and we would be ok Then the gulch narrowed and we came to where there was nothing but a 100' high cliff line of rime ice and crumbly rock. We were effing tired. Keg looked and said I can do this but I don't know it you can and there is now way to set up ropes. It will be a head lamp mixed rock and ice down clime on tools and front points. I looked at him. it was 20* below zero according to his gauge. I said if we stay here we die, If I fall I die, if I make it we keep going. No Choice. I have to do it. I said I will go first so that if I come off I don't take you with me. See you at the bottom, and hooked my tools onto the face, and by headlamp moved slowly out and started down. I don't remember much except being 100% focused moving one tool and one crampon at a time. I have no ideal how long it took until I saw snow beneath my feet. My only words were fucking A, I did it. Keg shook my hand and said that it was awesome to watch me do something that hard that I have never done in daylight let alone at night.

We used the last of our fuel to melt snow to fill up three water bottles. We post holed through deep drift snow totally exhausted. At 4am we hit the fire road. it had hard packed snow. Now all we had to do was push on . We were out of water and so far gone it never occurred to us to crawl into our -30 sleeping bags and rest. All we could think was. road , car. town...At dawn we made pavement. we had been going for 28-29 hours. I was toast. I said fuck it. crawled into my bag and wait for a car to pick us up. Keg wanted to hike back up to 7000 feet and get the truck. he took the keys and off he went. Me, I hallucinated in my bag shivering. Sometime later keg drove up in the truck and then passed out.

I shoved him into the passenger seat. cranked the heat to full tossed the packs in and drove into Mt Shasta to a 7 eleven. I walked in and the night clerk took one look at me and asked if I needed her to call an ambulance. I must have looked like hell from dehydration. Instead I bought 8 rebeccas mighty muffins and 8 64 ounce gatoraids. We consumed them and promptly passed out. When I woke up it was light out and I went in and bought more gaitoraid. We did not have to pee for a few hours and man was it dark when the kidneys finally got to working again.

We stopped at Denny's in Red Bluff and had a couple of grand slam breakfasts before driving back to Santa Cruz. The guys ant Montbell were shocked to hear that we summited and neither of us go hurt. Doug tossed us an envelope with cash in it. we were puzzled. The bastards had a dead pool on us but no one picked both of us reach the top and not getting hurt. most bets were on me getting killed and Keg hurt.
I had no idea that I could ever push myself that had for so damn long
WinterCassavaleridge3.jpg

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Shasta's no joke. I have been there. Weed was cool too. I shot a man in Reno just to watch him cry... I don't know why. Maybe it was the drugs... In all likely hood it was most certainly the drugs haha! Black Butte also....