Quantcast

The 16/17 'I'm a lard ass' thread...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
ok, so it's that time. I don't know how I did it but I gained a bunch of weight this year, even while riding a lot. I blame it on A) being 50, and B) food choices.
I quit drinking seven years ago, and have frequently replaced those calories with high sugar, fat, and salty foods.
So, what to do about it?
Air my dirty laundry with a bunch of randoms on an obscure forum! I have promised myself a treat. When I get down to 165 (from 185), I am buying myself a new drivetrain and Crabon wheelset.
Anyone wanna chime in?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I just wanted to be able to breathe when I bent over, that and being able to see my dick without pushing the belly away was all the motivation I needed.

ok so maybe not having a heart attack before i turned 60 was a larger motivator. Lost 78 pounds in 10 months

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm about 240 at 6'1". Would definitely feel better around 220. Pre-kids, I was a little over 200 and that's about as light as I can get. Should get moar gym. I've been riding more which helps, but having a 3 year old and 6 month old doesn't help.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm definitely a contender for the highest BMI on Ridemonkey "win" since I'm all of 5' 8" and about 227 lbs as of recently. That's down from damn near 250 in the early summer so that's something, I guess.

I was about 145-150 in high school, cutting down to 135 lbs for the wrestling season, then about 190 by the end of undergrad, 190-220 in grad school, then fattened up more after years of relatively inactive life on Long Island. Long term goal for me is perhaps 180.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I am pretty much the same as Toshi, 5'8 and 215-220ish. I'd be happy with 180 again.

I think @StiHacka wins this one. Ride MOAR. and MOAR. I try to go to different riding spots to keep it fresh. While MOAR is great, ya definitely don't want to burn out on the same repetitive trail.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
6'!"/239.7 here (fancy digital home scale). Biometrics at work says I need to be at 217 or less. Was down to 225 by the Kamikaze Games earlier this year. Too much late night snacking and drinking, not enough moving around...... unless the wife and I "get busy", wink wink........

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
People make losing weight way more difficult than it needs to be. It's so simple that you don't really need to do much at all. Most make the mistake of taking on too much all at once like joining a gym and starting a strict diet. Making drastic changes in your lifestyle all at one is not sustainable for most people and will subsequently fail.

My advise is to keep it simple. First identify and eliminate the one food/beverage in your diet that is causing the most weight gain. Only eliminate this one thing and don't do anything else to alter your diet. Second, stop stuffing yourself when you eat. When you are no longer hungry, stop eating. Third, exercise a little bit more. You don't have to start running 5 miles every morning, but a 20% increase in activity is modest and maintainable. After a while you will see results and that's when you can step it up. The key is to make smaller gains that are not disruptive to your life and get motivated by the easily obtainable goals.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My 2 cents - dont do what I did - eating what ever you want whenever you want just because you burn it off will kill you. I came out of surgery this year at 178 which was bad for 5ft7, I am currently at 185 which is not ideal but my muscle mass is greatly improved. Then meñ in my family tend to pot belly, thats much worse than carring your excess weight more evenly distributed.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
a tad over 6', around 160#. i don't need to lose weight...i'd be happy with getting in a hell of a lot better riding shape though. more riding and a lot less beer would probably be the ticket.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm in Oklahoma right now. It seems people here really like to watch fooseball, talk about fooseball, and eat. Mostly the first and last things.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good advice here. I dropped 50 pounds in 2011. It took me four months by basically cutting out alcohol entirely and taking up running. I went from 200 to 150. Five years later I am still 150. I figure cutting the booze worked twofold because it also took away the urge for the snacking that usually accompanies beer drinking. The extra exercise helped, but it's all about how many calories you are consuming.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Third, exercise a little bit more. You don't have to start running 5 miles every morning, but a 20% increase in activity is modest and maintainable.
I'd modify that to say that you should do something every day, it just doesn't have to be high impact/intensity every day. Even if it's a 45 min walk on the off day, it's legit. The crazy thing is while eating less, dropping weight, I found plenty of energy to do multiple activities/day, where before, I would be "done" for the day after 20-30 miles on a mountain bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Good advice here. I dropped 50 pounds in 2011. It took me four months by basically cutting out alcohol entirely and taking up running. I went from 200 to 150. Five years later I am still 150. I figure cutting the booze worked twofold because it also took away the urge for the snacking that usually accompanies beer drinking. The extra exercise helped, but it's all about how many calories you are consuming.
I cut out soda...alcohol is not on my list of things I'm willing to sacrifice, although I used to buy beer every week and put it in the fridge. I never do that anymore, the only time I drink it is out somewhere/after a ride. I do have some whiskey at home tho :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You need to promote crabon bike bits as an investment, not an expense. An expense pays no dividends while an investment pays dividends in improved health and increased riding satisfaction...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sad to say I topped 250 (6'3") the other day on the scale and I about lost it. I haven't been above 225 in 6 years. But the scale quit and I didn't buy a new battery at least a year ago. Good news is I finally quit smoking (6 months ago or so), still can't believe I started back up after the divorce. But I have been told that a good 20lbs might be blamed on that (or that I am just a lazy POS).

So just in general I am getting down to 215 for good this time. Now that the wife is set up with the bike trainer, I will set one up for me, too and finally get some spin time in. I have managed to go to the gym at least one day each week for the last 3 weeks and I refuse to buy larger pants this time. I know making small adjustments worked well for me when I did my major overhaul. It's a matter of doing more and eating better.

Problem is getting older has forced me to do more just to stay the same. :panic: