Quantcast

The 16/17 'I'm a lard ass' thread...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ain't that the truth...
My dad rode his bike damn near every day to work at the university for 38 years. It wasn't real far (14 miles each way) and certainly flat, but it was a point he made. He also had a push up and sit up routine he did basically every night I think. I never understood his need to do it until I hit 40 and sh!t went south. He and mom weighed themselves every morning and kept a running chart. I thought it was just mom's OCD. :rofl:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Am in the same boat - 5' 9" at 195 with a big 1/2 century date coming up. Kinda strong, kinda chubby. Racing BMX pretty much killed my aerobic exercise this year. Shooting for 180-185. Best weight recently was 177 3 years ago.

Plan is to keep working out/power lifting but add in running day/fun exercises with kid, ride rollers over winter 1X week, cut back on heavy food post 8 pm. Also plan 1-2 days to ride XC next year (last summer was 1X every 2-3 weeks). Nothing radical but need to keep it consistent.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He and mom weighed themselves every morning and kept a running chart. I thought it was just mom's OCD. :rofl:
I have a fancy digital scale that sends my weight via cellular network to a website that tracks it. All I have to do is step on it and then it beeps and says "SENT" in those janky bit LCD letters in a minute.

Trend is going the right way, and has been going that way since I started mountain biking again (and got back on the bike commute wagon) in July.

Edit: Said scale was free with participation in this Omada program, which in turn is free via my work's insurance plan.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I lose the most weight in the gym doing stuff like squats and deadlifts. The lightest I've ever been in my adult life is 205. I don't think I could lose much more, I end up putting on muscle. But mountain biking actually does help quite a bit for me. The more I ride the better I feel and the better shape I get in allows me to ride more and further.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was 168 lbs at 5'7" earlier this year but knocked 15 lbs off of that by exercising more and making more responsible food and portion size choices. Mid 150s is usually a pretty good range, so I shall try to maintain the weight while moving the right way in the body fat % category.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I am a moose. I played rugby for years and have powerlifted since I was a teenager. 30 years later i'm 6' 270something lbs. I still squat 585 every week and standing military 225, my BMI (according to my fancy ass digital scale) this morning was 14.7.

About 20 years ago when I did a fair amount of casual MTB racing, I was racing at ~220lbs without too much trouble. I don't think I'll ever hit 220 again, unless I just sit around and atrophy, but I'd like to get down to 250 or so, I was over 280 (my rugby playing weight) and some how managed to drop 10lbs between thanksgiving and now.

I lift heavy 4-5 days a week still and have been on the bike about twice a week as weather/work permit.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
MTB is not very good for weight loss, unless you xc in Lycra.
Dunno. intensity even at a shorter run worked for me - hour and a quarter. I put on weight recently but think it's muscle under the fat. Starting off the year with a better deadlift weight than last year!

Edit - consistency is key for me. Like I said, I was on trail bike every 2-3 weeks. BMX bike all the time, but racing 2X a week = hoping you make the cut in the 1st moto then sit around until mains...

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I should have clarified: MTB will help you with the first 20-30lbs if you have a lot to lose, but it alone won't do much with the last 20lbs (or 10 of 15, depending on your physique) unless you are doing roadie-like mileage or intensity.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a fancy digital scale that sends my weight via cellular network to a website that tracks it. All I have to do is step on it and then it beeps and says "SENT" in those janky bit LCD letters in a minute.

Trend is going the right way, and has been going that way since I started mountain biking again (and got back on the bike commute wagon) in July.

Edit: Said scale was free with participation in this Omada program, which in turn is free via my work's insurance plan.
That's just crazy. I have a good scale and just pay attention. I don't weigh every day, about every other, or at least on Saturday.

<edit> Having the skate park a few blocks from the office gave me an excuse to ride during lunch. I lot a lot of weight pumping around that place. I am too old to catch much air, but it was a fun park and 30 minutes was perfect. I kept my jump bike in my cube.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I should have clarified: MTB will help you with the first 20-30lbs if you have a lot to lose, but it alone won't do much with the last 20lbs (or 10 of 15, depending on your physique) unless you are doing roadie-like mileage or intensity.
Yeah. It's like 90% diet anyway (not being ON a diet, just what you shove in your face hole in general).

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
6'0" & 165lbs so not really looking to change that. Already eat kinda healthy and don't touch sweets or soda. I would like to be in better shape since working a desk job doesn't do me much good health wise. Riding & skiing moar would help that but having a kid kinda intrudes on my free time since he's not quite old enough to do those with me yet.

Side note: I don't view beer as a bad thing so not looking to cut down on that (although cutting down would probably help my wallet). I already don't party like I used to so I think I've figured out a decent consumption rate.
:cheers:

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I was about 265 there, 36" waist, I'm okay with that. Like to get to 250, no more rugby, no reason to be 270 any more. I do like lifting heavy, but I'll give up a little strength to not carry that extra 30lbs up hills on my scoot. :)

Now you guys see why I like plus bikes, just look at me! lol

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So, I have lost 8 pounds or so. Good, but not great. Shit gets harder after 50, they say!
Yeah I know, it showed here over the holidays, thanks a lot, jerk.

Way too many sugary baked goods, dried fruit, and very little riding put 10 freakin pounds on me. Seriously need to lay off the dried mangos, too many calories.

But have started riding more lately.