Quantcast

the 2010 giant 29er

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I gotta admit - I was skeptical of this bike at first, but aside from it saying Giant everywhere and anywhere - it looks like a hoot to ride. Nice!

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Extender or no extender, we don't currently make a strip that will fit that rim unfortunately. Flow strips aren't going to cut it due to the depth of the drop channel. They're advertising it as being compatible with aftermarket tubeless systems, but checking with the makers of those systems first might have been a good idea.
Nice. I had the shop ask them about this while he was on the phone with the rep. He said "The rims are Tubless compatable". They told me to get a Stans kit. I guess I am screwed?

I road last night. I got into an area that had a bunch of down trees. The 29 really rolls over some junk! Its like cheating. It really rolls on the down hill.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Nice. I had the shop ask them about this while he was on the phone with the rep. He said "The rims are Tubless compatable". They told me to get a Stans kit. I guess I am screwed?

I road last night. I got into an area that had a bunch of down trees. The 29 really rolls over some junk! Its like cheating. It really rolls on the down hill.

i was just at the shop and the giant rep came in to have his wheels set up for tubeless... the shop has already done 1 set of the Giant wheels so it is possible, i watched with my own 2 eyes.

grannygear

Chimp
Jul 28, 2009
so cal
We are in the middle of testing this scooter. See here and here for more.

Fun bike. The comments here have been right on from what I have read.

EDIT: CS length is 17.3", not 17.1" as mentioned in this thread. Still pretty short and I would rate tire clearance as very good.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Any more word on the tube less situation? I would love a little more cush on the roots. I am running 40 front and 50 (psi) rear. I got a pinch flat on some harsh roots with 40 psi in the rear. I am real comfortable on the bike now and am liking it even more! I would like to get the fork sent out for the RLC conversion. I would like a compression adjuster so I could run less pressure. No problems with the seat moving anymore either. ----Mike

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
I had a big get off on my XTC Tuesday. Bike is fine. Me ---not so much. Seperated shoulder. 25 mph over the bars!! Rested all week and did a MTB TT on sunday. I got to give this bike a lot of credit. Tight twisty sections handled great. Tight twisty downhill stuff let me use the front brake and ride the front wheel. I have had a lot of bikes over the years. I have a lot of affection for this bike. I even have the brakes figured out. My seat post is working fine as well.

Metelhead

Chimp
Aug 25, 2009
I just moved to an area where the goatheads are just everywhere- road and trails...so after several tube replacements and being tried of losing ride time I decided to give the tubeless route a go. That said, I will qualify as a 'tubeless rookie'....meaning I haven't yet road on or installed tubeless before(I took a few years off serious riding and have been buried in work and family).

Now Giant adverts that the new 2010 XTC 29er is aftermarket tubeless compatible....but what exactly that means..who knows? But the rims are like a nice deep dish pizza with a great little bead lip on them!

So after some research I came upon the vid:

Then I went down to my LBS, picked up a quart of Stan's(which was sweet cause it was only $25 instead of the $79.99 for the 'Kit'), and then dropped into 'Home Repo' and grabbed some Gorilla duct tape(which now they offer it in half rolls- half means half the width- so it makes a precut rim strip- whamO!)...
Went home and followed the Vid...and presto, I'm tubeless! Took about 1 hour to do both F&R..which included driving down to the local station to 'air up'(however I did consider

using this method:

and cost a grand total of $28.50 with guew and tape to share for my other rides- not bad and very slick to do!

*****Also I used NON UST tires- which were Kenda Block 8's, ust's would be like sleepwalking to put on!***

Huge props the 'Ghetto tubeless' dude!

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
How can I run a carbon fork on it? The very thing I like most about the my bike is holding me back from buying this! kinda ironic. I really dont wat to drop $700 for a fork for a SS. Then again a Foorward components BB is looking better. I would like to have a geared bike also though. ---Mike

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
haha. so I'm a bit bit of a homer for Giant, and I've been pretty outspoken about my view of 29er's. I've termed the "country western bikes" cause I like country music and I like western music but have no use for country western music. I deemed them this after riding some of the other brands out there...

Anywoo- I've spent some solid time on the Giant now and for a hardtail bike it rides pretty damn good. It doesn't have the characteristics of the others I've ridden (really high feeling, slow on the acceleration and lame in the tight stuff.

I still don't believe the kooks that say it rolls better over rough terrain. That is crap- it just doesn't. a 26 or 29 hitting a section of rocks slows down momentum considerably and it's just theory telling you it's better on a 29.

What I do notice:

I want to go really fast and carry momentum in non-technical terrain (fireroads, rolling smooth terrain) kind of funny but it feels like a road bike without the risk of flat tires here.

It feels like you are going faster when descending in smother terrain. I/'m not sure if this translates right. But on a trail where you can open it up and let go of the brakes even if you are going similar speeds to a 26 you still feel faster.

The traction on high speed drifting corners is incredible. In theory it should be better traction because of the increased contact patch- reality is that it is better than expected.

I'm still not sold that 29 is the answer to anything other than riding a different bike, but it certainly has it's place and can be fun to ride like any other 2 wheeler, and the Giant is the best one I've ridden.