Quantcast

The $25-40 (retail) red wine thread

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I thought we might have a moderately priced thread?

(Of course, restaurant prices are typically double retail.)

We went out for dinner tonight (Bob's Steakhouse) and had the bone-in Ribeye... yummy thick cut of tender beef! Went well with a bottle of Ravenswood Teldeschi Vineyard Zinfandel. I normally drink to drink and enjoy the beverage over food, but this mellow, smooth and creamy red zin went well with the beef as it didn't interfere and allowed the flavors to come thru and stay consistent.

If you're looking for a wine to accompany beef, I highly recommend this wine. But I wouldn't drink it on it's own.

Retails for about $30.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this isn't gonna be as popular a thread as the other one ;)

opie, check out a Ridge zin if you liked that Ravenswood. look for geyserville or lytton springs (those are the bigger bottlings) but there are others too. best zin ever.

in this range, you can get a really good selection of various chianti riservas, and i've even found the Cabreo super-tuscan for $33 or so. that is a solid wine, not nearly as good as the guado al tasso or tignanello, but a lot cheaper.

toward the lower end of the $20 range, i've gotten good luck w/ the Markham merlot and cabs. the Geyser Peak reserve cab (generally about $25-30) is also damn good.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

This Sangiovese frickin' rocks. I dont know much about Italian wine, but I know I love this one. It is about $30 a bottle.

Another bad ass wine from Italy. Straight up raspberries & rose pedals, in the form of tiny bubbles. This is great with dark chocolate. $25

A great riesling. I think it is around $22 a bottle.

More bubbly. I think this was in the $30 neighbohood. I liked this but had it at the end of a night full of heavy drin....er....tasting. ;)

I haven't been able to find a bottle of this anyway over here, but similar eisweins go for $30+ a 1/2 bottle. It was a gift. I have a hard time spending that kind of cheese on vino. But I may be able to justify the $$$ on this stuff.

Framboise is good, but better with some bubbly & a fresh raspberry. (N8 would totally dig that cocktail :D)

That is all I got. We don't drink much from this price range. Only when we splurge.

JimN

Chimp
Dec 7, 2001
La Crescenta, CA
Here are some from central California. They are consistently good year after year. They are fairly well-distributed. And best of all, they come in at the low end of the $25-$40 range.

Justin Cabernet Sauvignon
Retails for around $25.00

Beckmen Estate Syrah & Estate Grenache
Both retail for around $25.00

And I'll throw in a solid white from the same region:

Tablas Creek Cotes de Tablas Blanc
Retails for around $22.00

This is a nice Rhone blend, typically 55% Viognier, 29% Marsanne, 8% Grenache Blanc and 8% Roussanne.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
i had a bottle of Frem barbera fri night which was under thsi price point ($17) and really good.

I will have to keep that one in mind. I keep wanting to try some more Italians but they are all so expensive & the cheap ones suck.

-TN
(not getting off of the couch)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
laura said:
I will have to keep that one in mind. I keep wanting to try some more Italians but they are all so expensive & the cheap ones suck.

-TN
(not getting off of the couch)
Do try - there are a lot of quality Italian wines under $15 if you can find a shop with a good selection. Sad thing is, the $15 wines were $10 just a few years ago.

Damn exchange rates. :mumble:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the problem w/ the $20 price point is that it means you will sample no barolos, barbarescos, super tuscans, many chianti riservas and a lot of barberas these days. :(

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
the problem w/ the $20 price point is that it means you will sample no barolos, barbarescos, super tuscans, many chianti riservas and a lot of barberas these days. :(
Ahhhh....... such is life. I just find myself getting more Spanish, Argentinian, Chilean, and Aussie wines. :D

It *will* be nice when the dollar strengthens again and we can get deals on the French & Italian stuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Agreed on Ridge Zin: http://www.ridgewine.com/taf/store.taf

Consistently great. They were a pioneer of the single vineyard concept, making wines reflecting the natural character of specific lots rather than to meet a concept of what the wine should be.

And this one is slightly below the dollar amount but a strong recommendation too: Alexander Valley Vineyards Syrah:

http://www.avvwine.com/scripts/display_product.php?product_id=10

PS: I'm camping at the Clos Du Bois Estate this weekend and doing road rides/wine stops Sat and Sunday. Will try to stay upright and remember so I can report. I love teh Norcal!