Quantcast

The 3D tv debate

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So let's get to it. TV manufacturers think 3D is the next big thing for TV. I think they're right, but I don't think it's gonna catch on as fast as they're anticipating.

Do any monkies out there already have a 3d capable tv?

I have a Samsung DLP (HL61A750), which is listed as 3d capable, but is this the newer style 3d technology being touted, or the older style?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Does the new style glasses work if you are color blind?

If you need glasses do they make a version to go over regular glasses?

I saw Istar in 3D cool but started to give me a headache, not sure I would be willing to put a pair of glasses on just to watch TV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does the new style glasses work if you are color blind?

If you need glasses do they make a version to go over regular glasses?

I saw Istar in 3D cool but started to give me a headache, not sure I would be willing to put a pair of glasses on just to watch TV.
I'm pretty sure they'll work if your color blind (other than not being able to see the colors you're blind against). From what I've read 3d tv works on a similar principal as audio that's in stereo, you need the overlay of 2 video sources to make it stereoscopic to gain the depth aspect.

And yea, there are versions of 3d glasses that go over regular ones. I saw avatar yesterday and there were a bunch of people wearing the 3d glasses over their normal ones.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
3D tv is the biggest crock of crap to come from my industry in years. 3D tech is far from new, its over 110 years old.

until you see manufacturers released 3D sets without the need for stupid Sam "Ace" Rothstein glasses, then ill start to care. (they will be available)

if you are color blind, you will still be able to watch the movie since most sets arent using the red/blue combination that you are used to seeing. there are currently two types of 3D technology that will be used for sets. some use "active" glasses that are battery operated and there are some that use a polarizing filter to view it.

Directv isnt taking too big of a chance broadcasting 3D since their new satellite can easily accommodate this and users will only need a easy firmware update for their existing Mpeg4 boxes.

the Dallas Cowboys tried to use their 8,000,000' TV in their new stadium to broadcast some 3D, but forgot to tell the people to use their glasses when it came on early. who really wants to watch their tv with sunglasses on??

consumers dont want to hear that their new "hd flat screen tv" or new blu-ray player wont work for the new 3D standard. do you realize how long its taken for people just to adapt to HD??

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The video game market is drooling already.
Sega Master System SegaScope 3D worked pretty well. Technology hasn't improved that much other than resolution and graphics in over 20 years.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
3D tv is the biggest crock of crap to come from my industry in years. 3D tech is far from new, its over 110 years old.
what about the filming tech that the current crop of blockbuster movies are using? I saw an article somewhere about how it differs from the previous gen of 3d (I wanna say it was wired or maybe gizmodo) and was pretty understandable in laymans terms.

Is this technology what they are touting for the new gen of TV's with 3d? or is it still the old tech (and they'll just convert the movies for home usage)? Or does it just concern the manner in which a film is shot, but not played back?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its still relatively the same thing. granted newer cams and new post processing has changed dramatically over the years, but its essentially a stereoscopic image being displayed on a screen. in theaters it requires 2 projectors, but in a home theater there are newer technologies that are obviously eliminating the need for two image sources.
the way the movies are shot is not really any different than it has been.

Last edited: