Quantcast

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's so odd to see a brand new 70 series, regardless of powertrain. Approve.
why should a one ton truck with a diesel motor and a manual transmission with a cloth interior for under 20k new be a pipe dream.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Despite the name it's actually a PHEV.

16 kWh pack backed up by a Atkinson-cycle Pentastar V6 mated to a Toyota HSD-esque "transmission" (so potentially even reliable!).

33 miles of electric range at 84 MPGe per the government, and then 32 MPG on gasoline thereafter. All the usual conveniences of a minivan.

I think it actually looks pretty damn good, and am surprised no one (Toyota!) didn't do this half a decade ago.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nio EP9 set 'Ring record.

According to NIO, the EP9 posted a blistering time of 6:45.9, besting the Huracan Performante’s 6:52.01 lap. If NIO’s lap holds up to scrutiny, the EP9 stomped a whole slew of incredible cars, including the Porsche 918, Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV, and even the barely road-legal Radical SR8LM, which clocked in a 6:48 lap. This record follows a previous attempt late last year, when the EP9 set a new record for EVs, scuttling around a damp and cold ‘Ring in 7:05.12.

4 independent electric motors making 1341 hp.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
GM busted for even dirtier "clean diesel" trucks. Sold about a third more killing machines than VW in the US (plus they were dirtier/more deadly because of the more lax truck emission standard).
I saw that a few states are now passing anti "Coal rolling" laws. In Oregon, diesels don't go through emissions testing at all and my little ass town is exempt (even though all my rigs pass).

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I saw that a few states are now passing anti "Coal rolling" laws. In Oregon, diesels don't go through emissions testing at all and my little ass town is exempt (even though all my rigs pass).
CO has done that but the fine is so pitiful it's not going to stop people who do it deliberately.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A bus as an EV is a massive fail IMO. Should at least be hybrid so you can go park it in the woods and camp. Ok for Tesla to do their thing IMO, but until battery density allows for 300-400 miles from all major manufacturers, stick to hybrids and more specialized EVs IMO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi how is life with an electric car? I am thinking about getting on but as our only car.
We try to use it all the time. As an only car I'd definitely get one with level 3 DC fast charging to top off quickly in a pinch.

I'm actually moving to a 1.5 EV household: one BEV and another PHEV.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've been giving these, and Alta a lot of thought lately as I sit on my garage floor surrounded by ///motorcycle parts. Awfully tempting, but I don't think I can afford to get divorced.
I love the alta and if I can get a street bike to save on commute $$$, I might be able to pull one off. Zero has come a long way, but still not as far as Brammo. Not sure where Brammo is now thay they got bought by Victory and Victory got tossed. :confused:

<edit> http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108352_end-of-victory-motorcycles-is-end-of-empulse-electric-bike-too

Seems like they might bring Brammo back under Indian.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We try to use it all the time. As an only car I'd definitely get one with level 3 DC fast charging to top off quickly in a pinch.

I'm actually moving to a 1.5 EV household: one BEV and another PHEV.
I have to put in new electric in the house so I will run it out to the garage so we are ready for level 3. I am thinking about the BMW i3. What do you have?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have to put in new electric in the house so I will run it out to the garage so we are ready for level 3. I am thinking about the BMW i3. What do you have?
Level 3 is usually 480V 3 phase input and the chargers themselves are $10-50k, so unless you're truly balling that's not happening. :D You want a car that supports that, though, whether CHAdeMO or the SAE Combo plug, because public level 3 chargers are awesome.

You'll get level 2 in the house: get a 50A line so you're ready for 10 kW EVSE down the road. 6.6 kW EVSE is about $400-500 now, and 10 kW EVSE cost is $600-700. Much more reasonable.

We leased a Nissan LEAF and later on bought a (used) Toyota RAV4 EV. Adding a Chrysler Pacifica (Plug-in) Hybrid once they build the thing. i3 is nice if that rear seat/rear doors work out for you.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
yes, I saw that regarding the charging station so that would not make sense at all. Well lets see no car budget before the wife has a job so we know if she will have a need to drive a car to work. I only have a 20min bike ride and my only car need is to haul garbage to the dump and to get to some mtb trails.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
yes, I saw that regarding the charging station so that would not make sense at all. Well lets see no car budget before the wife has a job so we know if she will have a need to drive a car to work. I only have a 20min bike ride and my only car need is to haul garbage to the dump and to get to some mtb trails.
I know quite a few people who shipped their US car to EU when they relocated, free of tax/duty when moving the whole household.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Time to go green bitches.

Ariel Is Building a 1200-HP Electric Hypercar

The P40 will also run 0-60 mph in 2.4 seconds, 0-150 mph in 7.8 seconds, and on to a 160-mph top speed. It's electric powertrain, per Autocar, is good for 1180 bhp and 1328 lb-ft of torque. As with the 1224-hp Rimac Concept One, each wheel will get its own electric motor, which allows for advanced torque-vectoring capabilities.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know quite a few people who shipped their US car to EU when they relocated, free of tax/duty when moving the whole household.
I Denmark you only save VAT and custom but still have to pay 150% registration tax. The really big problem was there is a yearly tax on cars depending on their milage and age. So I would have had to pay 1500 per year just to have the car sitting in the garage.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A buddy of mine got the Bolt (Euro equivalent being the Opel Ampera-e I guess?) in July. He had level 2 charging station installed at home. they have a cottage that's a 300km round-trip. He still has over 100km of range when he gets home. For day to day use, he says the need for fast charging is pretty low given that they plug it in at home overnight and keep it pretty well topped up. We'll see how this all changes over the winter, but I don't think it will be a huge difference.

I think fast charging will only be a concern for long road trips. Another buddy has a Tesla, and says that in those cases, you only need to sit at the fast-charge station long as it takes to get you to your destination, not a full charge. I would imagine Denmark and surrounding countries have a pretty extensive and accessible network of Level 3 charging stations by now?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Agree and yes pretty good coverage in Denmark. The range on the Bolt is pretty amazing and would cover 99% of our need without even having to charge on the road.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Forget self driving cars, shut up and take my money!

AKA, shut up and give me a job because this airport would be dead in the fucking water.
  • Denver to Greeley: Six minutes
  • Denver to Fort Collins: Nine minutes
  • Denver to Vail: Nine minutes
  • Denver to Colorado Springs: Nine minutes
  • Colorado Springs to Pueblo: Six minutes.
.....bring us closer to our goal of implementing three full-scale systems operating by 2021.”

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I love the alta and if I can get a street bike to save on commute $$$, I might be able to pull one off. Zero has come a long way, but still not as far as Brammo. Not sure where Brammo is now thay they got bought by Victory and Victory got tossed. :confused:

<edit> http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108352_end-of-victory-motorcycles-is-end-of-empulse-electric-bike-too

Seems like they might bring Brammo back under Indian.
:think:
https://electrek.co/2017/10/18/zero-motorcycles-2018-lineup-new-fast-charging-range/

Beyond those main changes, the 2018 lineup also features general energy density and power improvements, which resulted in ZF13.0 Zero S and Zero DS “delivering up to 30% more power and torque to amp up acceleration at highway speeds.”

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Zero has been at it a while, I remember talking to them back in '09. I still think ohio and his crew are well ahead in the engineering of the bike itself. The fact that is has competed against both 250cc and 450cc gas bikes in supermoto, enduro and flat track shows just how on they are. I think Zero still has a gas bike mentality vs a ground up design around electric powertrain.

Maybe I'm just smitten. :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I kind of dig it. Not going to get one as no place for a slow electric scooter in my life since I have two EVs to drive when not on the bicycle, but that'd be worlds better to ride than a standard 50 cc buzz-machine.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Looks cool, but only 62 mile range seems like anything outside of bar hopping would be out of the question.

I want Vespa to being back a 125cc 2 stroke.
It's a scooter though, not a touring bike. I used my old one for work and grocery getting almost exclusively. Couple trips to some of the local sights. 62 miles would be plenty.