Quantcast

The best 1.5 stems & headsets

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
Since Chris King only make 1/18 headsets i am confused about which is the best 1.5 headset, any oppions?

Also, who makes a 1.5 compatable stem that can take a 31.8 bar?

thanks for the info...............Ari

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
just buy an FSA headset...it's cheep and works fine i'v had one on my evil for quite some time and had no problems.

and FSA, Raceface, and....some other co that i can't think of right now all make realy nice 1.5 31.8 bar steam combos.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
The SIC Body Slam LL stem will meet your needs. They are super nice. www.sicusa.com as someone above posted. I've been really satisfied with mine so far. I also have a Body Slam Classic.

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
I don't think that Race Face make a 31.8 stem that is 1.5"/

Oh my god i think i just fell in love with the NYC Freeride, but what a price.

Anyone got a price on Cane Creek Double X?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
My personal vote would be an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5 w/ an SIC stem.

The Cane Creeks can sometimes have crown race slippage issues (I think this has been fixed now). I like the SIC b/c it has a lower stack height to avoid that ape-hanger feeling some 1.5 setups have.

-ska todd

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by supros88
I don't think that Race Face make a 31.8 stem that is 1.5"
You're right. Isn't that brilliant?!! Embrace the lower-volume standard (1.5) while fogetting about the higher-volume standard (31.8 bars). It's not like they don't make a 31.8 Diablous either. Wierd.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Bulldog
You're right. Isn't that brilliant?!! Embrace the lower-volume standard (1.5) while fogetting about the higher-volume standard (31.8 bars). It's not like they don't make a 31.8 Diablous either. Wierd.
Well maybe I'm confused but I do see a 31.8 diabolous for a 1.125 steerer which would be the high volume standard since most people who are runnining a 31.8 standard bar are also using a DC fork, the vast majority of which do not have a 1.5 ST. Sure it'd be nice if they had both 31.8 and 1.5 in all possible combinations but when it comes down to it I don't really need a 31.8 x 1.5 stem, just a 13.8 x 1.125 as do most people who only want to upgrade their handlebar and not their fork, frame and headset.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Well maybe I'm confused but I do see a 31.8 diabolous for a 1.125 steerer which would be the high volume standard since most people who are runnining a 31.8 standard bar are also using a DC fork, the vast majority of which do not have a 1.5 ST. Sure it'd be nice if they had both 31.8 and 1.5 in all possible combinations but when it comes down to it I don't really need a 31.8 x 1.5 stem, just a 13.8 x 1.125 as do most people who only want to upgrade their handlebar and not their fork, frame and headset.
Maybe I typed confusing, but I'm betting most people buying a 1.5 frame will be looking to buy 31.8 bars too. If so, RF doesn't offer a stem for them.

*edit* and I said they do make 31.8 ("not like they dont" = "they do"). Sorry for the confusing word use.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Bulldog
but I'm betting most people buying a 1.5 frame will be looking to buy 31.8 bars too. If so, RF doesn't offer a stem for them.
I talked to them about that at Interbike. They acted all like "ooh, good point" but we both knew they weren't gonna do crap about it.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I was never impressed with my Cane Creek XX - I'd definitely say go for the FSA; all their stuff I've ever tried has been awesome, including their headsets. Never tried their 1.5.