Quantcast

The best fish to eat...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
...are the ones you catch yourself. I was up in Sequoia National Park this weekend for a weekend of horseback riding, hiking, camping, and fly fishing. We caught and ate lots of trout. They were little guys about 8-10 inches but they were damn tasty. They were coated in a mixture of cornmeal, salt, and pepper and fried in a cast iron pan over an open fire. Good eatin'!!!!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Yeah man!!!

There's nothing better than eatin' a trout that you caught that day.

I hope you ate the "cheeks" too. The little muscle that closes the jaw is the sweetest part of the fish.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Dartman said:
I hope you ate the "cheeks" too. The little muscle that closes the jaw is the sweetest part of the fish.
:stupid:

this man knows his fish.

btw, that part is delicious on any fish. another bonus of eating a fish w/ head on.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dartman said:
Yeah man!!!

There's nothing better than eatin' a trout that you caught that day.

:drool:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
One of the buetifull things about living near the beach is that I can cast off of the jeti and catch tuna and I'm not too far fron a couple nice lakes with plenty of trout in 'em. Sounds like you had a pretty decent trip, cold trout that's been left out all night mixed with rice is a great way to start the day FYI.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I ate a few tiny cheeks, they were tasty. The horseback thing was kind of a goofy thing for me but it was fun. I hadn't been on a horse in probably 20 years. We rode about 15 miles with 4500 feet of gain (up to a max of about 9200 feet, then down to 8500 where we camped). Took over 4 hours. I tried to get approval to ride a bike but it wasn't happening.

They separately packed our stuff up to camp via old-school train of pack mules.

Since this is the food forum I should also say that every one of our meals came (at least in part) from these huge old cast iron dutch ovens buried in coals...so damn good.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Man, I remember hearing about boiled trout here before and thinking that it doesn't sound good to me at all...are you talking about a rolling boil or what? I mean, I might be able to understand a gentle poach or something, but trout is so delicate it seems it would get obliterated in a real boil.

Regardless, I wouldn't want to give up the crispy bits from pan frying.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002

Meet the mighty Bluebone. This is my boss with the biggest one we caught off the North West Australian coast last weekend. Long live sunny days fishing. Yum Yums.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Mmmmm....fresh pan fried trout. There is nothing else like waking up at 5:30am to catch breakfast. And then catching a few more 12 hours later for dinner...mmmm