Quantcast

The big fat movie thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Came back from the Avengers. I liked it a lot though I have the same problem as with other Wheadon movies. He is afraid to let go the light and fluffly tone and his use of short cuts undermines the transfer of emotions toward the viewer. It could be better but this way it's more accessible so yeah I'm happy I've seen it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
john hillcoat/nick cave "lawless".....at least the soundtrack should be excellent...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Skyfall trailer editors should learn from Lawless. There is a new fashion for fast cut, chaotic, sensory assault trailers but it doesn't work when it's not in sync with the music ffs. Yes girl with the dragon tattoo did it but it was in sync, same for prometheus. It annoys me as movie trailers are an important part of movie marketing and can influence final results noticeably.
Still Skyfall trailer shows some of Deakins amazing cinematography. The movie will look absolutely amazing. I'm only worried it will go over the top. Casio Royal was amazing because it felt tight and intimate. When you go big it's much harder to control everything.

btw. I feel like a total moron for not discovering Peter Dinklage before game of thrones.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
look up the trailer for the movie "gangster squad" and ask yourself why is a jay-z song in the fvcking thing?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It fits, the movie is not historically accurate so why is the internet outraged about it? It's like being angry that QT killed Hitler in inglorious basterds. The beats in the song are in sync with the trailer cutting. I like it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I seriously recommend that movie to anyone who hasn't seen it. One of the best flicks of 2011.
headhunter finally showed up at a theatre near me...pretty much like the book from what i remember of it....pleasantly surprised the guy who plays jamie lannister was in it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Anybody seen new Spider Person movie? I liked the movie a lot. It had many holes and problems (mostly because it seemed like the edited the crap out of it) but the pros overweighted the cons. The actors were better (well Andy and Emma were) and the human element as well as the buildup actually felt real. Using a lot of real stunt action was also a big plus for me.

The lizard and the cop subplots were a bit stupid but I liked it. Still I'll be happy if Webb doesn't do a Sequel because he has much better movies to do.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
bout fvcking time.....

Tell me about it. Half of the people at my work have seen it and we had to push the release date because they didn't hurry with the promo materials. What friends at work claim is that it's very damn good although talk heavy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Also this is going to be awesome. Prometheus was enetertaining though had bigger plotholes than a supetanker and was dissapointing. Batman was a bit messy and Nolan still needs to learn how to direct action but I still find TDKR an excellent movie.

http://youtu.be/vgr2syY_OU4

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yes....also...if martin scorsese has any sense he will cast daniel craig as harry hole in "the snowman"...whenever/if he ever gets around to doing it.
Martin for now will be doing the wolf of wall street. Read the script and I liked it though the topic seems a bit safe and very beaten to death.

Aug 17, 2012
Anything with Jack Nicholson - Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Passenger, The Shining, Reds, Terms of Endearment, Batman, A Few Good Men, As Good as It Gets, About Schmidt, Anger Management.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Seriously.

I watched 13 Assassins the other day after seeing it in this thread, and while I've never been much for martial arts movies, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Miike has another Samurai movie this year - Hara-Kiri. Less action but supposedly as good. Also if you want action heavy movie with great choreography go watch The Raid. The shots and choreography are amazing. Best pure action movie I've seen for years.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
bout fvcking time.....

Just seen it. It's not bad, enjoyed it but it is very talk heavy and many people will be bored. Expected a bit more from the director. Also the political message was annoying at times.

Also expendables - fun but not bold enough and the action scenes were directed badly. One guy jumps without being hit or thrown. Shouldn't happen on a movie this big.

Nameless gangster - a nice although strange movie about corruption and gangsters in Korea. Feels strangely familiar to Poland.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think no one has said anything positive about the political message in "killing them softly"....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i think no one has said anything positive about the political message in "killing them softly"....
I knew that when I analysed the movie at work but I never expected it to be so annoying. It's a good crime thriller with Obama, Bush and radio talk about the politics used instead of a soundtrack. I am completely serious. Some guys walk on a street and you hear some radio guy talking about economics. Why?

DirtyMike you had high hopes for it? Just watch Battle Royale.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Watched Premium Rush last night. Decent flick. More curious about who did the trialsy stunts towards the end of the movie.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Watched Premium Rush last night. Decent flick. More curious about who did the trialsy stunts towards the end of the movie.
Damn, it comes out in october here and I don't work for the guys who release it. Though I always preferred seing movies in cinema to screeners. Want to see it. Though to be honest given the summer hiatus in the non blockbuster movies I'd see anything.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The movie moved along pretty well and was entertaining without being boring. Definitely some hipsterish influence, but I liked it. Not a super in-depth plot, but worth seeing. I had a gift card, so it was worth it....

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The movie moved along pretty well and was entertaining without being boring. Definitely some hipsterish influence, but I liked it. Not a super in-depth plot, but worth seeing. I had a gift card, so it was worth it....
It's a movie about bike couriers. Given hollywood simplistic view of the world no wonder it was simplistic though it's good to hear it was entertaining after watching the new Bourne which was close to my top 5 most boring movies of the year.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's a movie about bike couriers. Given hollywood simplistic view of the world no wonder it was simplistic though it's good to hear it was entertaining after watching the new Bourne which was close to my top 5 most boring movies of the year.
The ending of Bourne pissed me off.