Quantcast

The Boxxer direct-mount (integrated) stem database

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Alright, so I figure it's about time I post something of value around here, so this is just going to be a database of ALL the Boxxer stems available, their dimensions, and their adjustments. I am getting lost trying to compare all the stems available today, so this will get them all in one place. I think someone did this on PinkBike a while back when there were only 3 or 4 to choose from. I will update this original post with info as it's submitted later in the thread.

Format will be:

-Manufacturer and stem name (with manufacturers web link if possible)
-Reach:
-Rise:
-Adjustability: (or just state this in the reach/rise sections clearly)
-Clamp width:
-Weight:
-Cost:
-Color options:
-Material/Layout: (2pc, 3pc, or 4pc)

Try to keep it to that format so I can just copy/paste it and it stays easy to read.

Ones I'm aware of off the top of my head: E13, Sunline, Deity, RaceFace, Answer, Twenty6, Canfield

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
-RaceFace Atlas FR Direct Mount (http://www.raceface.com/components/stems/atlas/atlas-fr-direct-mount/)
-Reach: 30mm
-Rise: 24mm
-Adjustability: Flip the stem for 50mm reach, 8.5mm rise
-Clamp width: Unknown
-Weight: 142g w/o hardware, 162g w/
-Cost: $95 USD
-Color options: Red, Black, White, Pink
-Material/Layout: 6061, 2pc

-Deity Fantom Direct Mount (http://www.deitycomponents.com/fantom_dm_stem2.htm)
-Reach: 48mm
-Rise: Unknown
-Adjustability: Additional mount for 55mm reach
-Clamp width: 2"
-Weight: 150g (don't know if it includes hardware)
-Cost: $90 USD
-Color options: Red, Black, White
-Material/Layout: 7075 T6, 4pc

-Hope Boxxer Top Crown http://www.hopegb.com/voir_tcbox.html
-Reach: 50mm
-Rise: 0
-Adjustability: None
-Clamp width: 55mm (just over 2")
-Weight: 307g for 40 crown, boxxer will be lighter
-Cost: £135 GBP ($214 USD, 8/2/10)
-Color options: black, red, gunsmoke, blue, gold.
-Material/Layout: 2pc crown/stemplate

-77Designz DM stem http://www.77designz.com/?page_id=20
-Reach: 43mm
-Rise: Unknown
-Adjustability: None
-Clamp width: 62mm
-Weight: 103g with all the hardware
-Cost: 89 Euro ($117 USD, 8/2/10)
-Color options: black ano
-Material/Layout:

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Good idea. I'll add the idea of listing what material is used for the stems construction. (Like 6000, or 7000 series aluminum.) This seems to be a deciding factor to some people...

alexhill

Chimp
Apr 19, 2010
-Hope Boxxer Top Crown http://www.hopegb.com/voir_tcbox.html
-Reach: 50mm
-Rise: 0
-Adjustability: None (or just state this in the reach/rise sections clearly)
-Clamp width: 55mm (just over 2")
-Weight: 307g for 40 crown, boxxer will be lighter
-Cost: £135 GBP
-Color options: black, red, gunsmoke, blue, gold.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know the "Boxxer" standard now fits Boxxers, BOS, Manitou and Fox but does anyone know if Marzocchi have come to the party yet?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Ridemonkey needs a communal Google Docs account for this sorta thing. Somebody put it in a spreadsheet!!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
-Manufacturer PO1NT Split Second DM http://pointoneracing.com/
-Reach:50mm
-Rise:Site says zero, but I think it's a few mm.
-Adjustability:50mm only
-Clamp width:31.8 or 25.4mm
-Weight:128g with crown bolts, 106g without. This is for Black anno. The Nickel one with Titanium bolts is 113g with crown hardware. A black anno one with the Ti bolts is even less.
-Cost:$119 Black, $149 Nickel with ti bolts.
-Color options:Black or chrome/Nickel
-Material/Layout: 4pc

-Manufacturer Kowa http://www.kowa-ss.co.jp/mtb.html
-Reach:I think 45 or 55mm adjustable.
-Rise:a few mm?
-Adjustability:45-55mm adjustable.
-Clamp width:31.8mm
-Weight:200g
-Cost:$?
-Color options:Black
-Material/Layout: 2pc

Kowa forks also have the Boxxer standard dirrect mount holes.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
-Syncros Lo-Ball (http://www.syncros.com/stems.htm)
-Reach: 42/47mm
-Rise: Zero
-Adjustability: for reach only
-Clamp width:57mm at base / 60mm faceplate ≈ 2 3/8"
-Weight: 156g (claimed)
-Cost: $91.95 list
-Color options: Gloss black; Matte white w/black faceplate
-Material/Layout: 6061 / 2 pc.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Ridemonkey needs a communal Google Docs account for this sorta thing. Somebody put it in a spreadsheet!!
I agree. I haven't done the Google docs thing before, but I'll fill out the spreadsheet if someone wants to host it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I put all the stems I could find into a spreadsheet real quick. It would be useful if manufacturers actually provided a rise measurement for comparison.

This "zero rise" thing is also debatable. I think the only consistent vertical reference plane is the bottom of the stem/top of the crown, so the center of the bar should be measured above that plane.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
. . . I think the only consistent vertical reference plane is the bottom of the stem/top of the crown, so the center of the bar should be measured above that plane.
I disagree. Using your reasoning, an OS (31.8) bar, even if it's dead flat would be considered to have 15.9mm of rise because half the diameter of the bar is above the centerline.

Determining rise for stem purposes should be the relation of the base of the bar to the plane of the stem/top crown.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I disagree. Using your reasoning, an OS (31.8) bar, even if it's dead flat would be considered to have 15.9mm of rise because half the diameter of the bar is above the centerline.

Determining rise for stem purposes should be the relation of the base of the bar to the plane of the stem/top crown.
Why would you use the outer edge of the bar? Nothing else circular on a bike is measured from the edge. Always from the center. Axle, BB, headtube, seattube.

What if someone is using shims for a 25.4mm bar? The only consistent point of reference for the bars is the center. That's how they measure reach - center of steerer to center of bar. Stands to reason the same reference points would be used for the vertical direction.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Gordon, don't forget about the one I have on my bike. It's the super stealth prototype professional crasher use only model! I could look in my garage and see what's on there but I have not even touched my bike since Sol Vista...hung it up and it'll be there for a while :(

Good luck on your super sweet quest though.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Haha as many crashes as you've had on that thing I'd check the bars and stem regularly!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Quest is to make this new bike as low as physically possible in front, just for the hell of it. Gonna see how low is actually an advantage. Might love it, might hate it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Quest is to make this new bike as low as physically possible in front, just for the hell of it. Gonna see how low is actually an advantage. Might love it, might hate it.
I wnet stupid low with my Lahar(it had a tiny headtube with integrated headset bearings), I can't recall the height i got, but it was too low.
You could try flipping bars or something, un costly, just to get an idea. Or experiment with a hardtail, so you can get the bars to BB relationship similer.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You're looking for one? I've got an e.13 in pretty good shape somewhere if you want it.