Quantcast

The Ct Thread.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
For Ct riders.

here is my first question...

Where is that really good freeride place in Ct. I think its near a farm or somthing, not westwoods in guilford, the other place. I wanna go there this weekend but cant remember where it is. :think:

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
mack said:
For Ct riders.

Where is that really good freeride place in Ct. I think its near a farm or somthing, not westwoods in guilford, the other place. I wanna go there this weekend but cant remember where it is. :think:

The "near a farm" thing isn't ringing any bells. Are you thinking of Woodbury?

What general area of the state is it?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ive never been there, i wanted to go down this weekend and check it out! People have told me about it, but i have never been.

So i guess my question is where is that really good freeride place in Ct?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Woodbury was the ski area out in southwestern CT that built a bunch of bridges and drops and stuff in a field. I never went, but heard it wasn't that great. Not sure if they even opened this year.

As for places in CT where you can get your freeride on, here's a list to get you started:

Grayville in Hebron. You'll want a tour here, or else you may not find stuff.
Meshomasic SF in Marlborough. Huge ... lotsa trails. You'll want a tour here also, otherwise you may not find what you're looking for.
Nassahegon in Burlington has lotsa great stuff.
Soapstone has a big XC loop with natural stuff built in.
Tyler Mill in Wallingford is the place to go if you like riding skinnies - home of the 166 foot long cedar skinny.

There are others, but you'll have to show up for a ride before I tell you where they are.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
mack said:
Which one is westwoods? Is that the one in Guilford?

That's right. There's a group riding there today at 4:45 if you can make it (I won't be there - I'm stuck at work till 5).

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
mack said:
Which one is westwoods? Is that the one in Guilford?
What tonyhawk said. Bring your pedaling legs though. You are not going to find too many places in CT where you can freeride with minimal pedaling. Your bony ass is going to have to get used to riding some XC to get to the good freeriding.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
What bike should i bring when i go to these places. I have a steel head and a giant Team DH. :confused: neither one seems to meet the quota.

Any one going to guilford tomorrow?

I heard they had a big 13 footer there. Just got back from Nassahegen dirt jumps. Busted my arm kinda, soil is soft and loamy and im running street tires. :nopity:

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
I just went to westwoods and found a few 4 to 5 foot drops But i couldnt find any of the big ones that i see in pictures of westwoods. Could somebody point me in the right direction and tell me what trails to go down for some good freeride.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
mack we should go to woodbury sometime, or westwoods if u dont have a race next weekend. Im gonna get a new derailler hangar and get soem new spokes and get my rims trued, then i should be good to go.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
mack said:
For Ct riders.

i thought it was called wells woods

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
amydalayna said:
i thought it was called wells woods
Wells Woods in Columbia is off limits during hunting season. Since it is a patchwork of privatley owned land, access is also an issue.

Last time I rode there (early Spring, I think) all of the natural trail enhancements were still intact, but anything man-made was pretty much gone.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
tonyhawk said:
Wells Woods in Columbia is off limits during hunting season. Since it is a patchwork of privatley owned land, access is also an issue.

Last time I rode there (early Spring, I think) all of the natural trail enhancements were still intact, but anything man-made was pretty much gone.
bummer. seriously? i moved away from connecticut, but i remember that place being rad. connecticut has not enough land and too many riders.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I have had the opposite experience. I have never met another rider in Ct who takes biking as seriosly as i do. No body within 40 minutes of me rides, and thats allot when you cant drive.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
mack said:
I have had the opposite experience. I have never met another rider in Ct who takes biking as seriosly as i do. No body within 40 minutes of me rides, and thats allot when you cant drive.
i used to live in manchester and spend much of my time at case mountain. lots of riders. trails getting really wide, especially in the wet areas. not good. but i do miss that place sometimes....

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
DHJUNKIE said:
there are so many places in CT to ride.. middlesex trails are endless and u could ride for years and not ride the same trail twice.
I'm not totally down on CT trails. I really miss good variety of XCish trails out there. But I didn't really know anything else having grown up there. But then I moved out to Tahoe and found out what it's like to SERIOUSLY have an endless amount of land to ride on. Not only that, but what it's like to do some amazing downhill runs.
Even though the riding out here is killer, I miss the soil and the roots of the CT trails

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
mack said:
I'm as serious as you Mack, just my parents don't trust me. Avon is where its at. I built some dirt jumps and a wall ride today because it rained all weekend. It was nice.

Hamburgler

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
tonyhawk said:

thats odd...rode there a ton july/august and everything thats in the pictures on bikerag.com was there. a-frames, like 5 drops to nice man made tranny, skinnies, etc etc were all there.

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
I Are Baboon said:
I want tours.
you got tours... if you wanna come to nass i will gladly show you around, plenty of drops, jumps and dh, with minimal pedalling, pm for info, this includes anyone else who wants somwhere good to ride in nor-west CT

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
mack said:
I take biking pretty serious bro. This is J.R. from burlington...(I got a new username) were like 20 minutes or so from you, we got some fun dh and fr here mang.