Quantcast

The Daily Show: CNBC gives financial advice

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
They are no more "just entertainers" than Fox or Al Jazeera are "just news."
except that foxnews has more in common w/ the paper of record than does al-jazeera, for they use their own sources disguised as reuters imbeds

pick 10 stories from each website & see who the source is. you won't see a lot of UPI or AP stories on al-jazeera, but AFP & "al-jazeera & sources". fox has a western view more than a conservative one

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
You're less familiar with it than you think.

You made that claim that since Stewart, an entertainer, was criticizing Cramer, another entertainer, therefore Obama, the President of the United States, should debate Rush Limbaugh, an entertainer.
<sigh> OK, yeah, I see the President thing.

I'm not going to even start to point out how you're really missing the big picture here, in that entertainment outlets such as the Daily Show are frequently better sources of news and current events than the actual news media are...
Big picture sighted. You're right, too many people, including many on this very forum, take entertainment as a heavily weighted source of news. I guess it's a reality.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
except that foxnews has more in common w/ the paper of record than does al-jazeera, for they use their own sources disguised as reuters imbeds

pick 10 stories from each website & see who the source is. you won't see a lot of UPI or AP stories on al-jazeera, but AFP & "al-jazeera & sources". fox has a western view more than a conservative one
Point is you can't dismiss their political influence. Come on, stink, try to keep up.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Point is you can't dismiss their political influence. Come on, stink, try to keep up.
and my point is you'd be more accurately informed if you chose fox over al-jazeera.

you tried to equate their magnitudes merely due to their orthogonal vectors. you'd might as well swap npr for fox. the closest thing i've seen to unbiased reporting is google's news aggregation.

plus, i pinkie-promised sheppard smith i'd defend his honor to the death

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ummm, no it's not a non-sequitur and thanks for the offer to expand my vocabulary by looking it up, but I'm familiar.

The point was, they are both entertainers, neither should have anyone seriously defending, debating, promoting or justifying any position of national policy or concern with them. Goes the same for The View, Regis, Letterman, Leno or other entertainment venue. Would you expect realistic, informative and accurate budget policy reporting from ET?

Sadly, though, most everyone gets their view of the news from entertainment sources, be it Stewart, CNN, Fox or other outlets.
Jon Stewart and even Rush Limbaugh are classic examples of "Court Jesters".

While both are rather funny depending on your viewpoints, the idea behind of a court jester is that while a king has several serious advisors, the jester often says what everyone is thinking but afraid to say by disguising his comments in humor. And just because he is funny does not mean what he says isn't perceptive or accurate.

Have you read the Stimulus Bill? It is available in PDF. I haven't and I won't. Call me a dumass but I care barely get thru a Chandler novel much less read 900 pages of laws.

I depend on several sources for my news and opinion. The Times is one, MSNBC is another.

I read other things, like the Weekly Standard, just to keep on my toes. But I also enjoy watching the Daily Show and Colbert Report. It is not my sole source of news, but I can evaluate when they make a salient point or if it is just bull.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
and my point is you'd be more accurately informed if you chose fox over al-jazeera.
Which is totally irrelevant. We're arguing over whether or not these folks have political influence, not over the quality of their viewpoints. NPR also would've worked. Magnitude had nothing to do with my argument.

Again, keep up.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sweet Jesus, Cramer sounded like he was going to start crying more than once.

I couldn't watch the whole thing. It was like watching Mike Tyson punch a kitten repeatedly...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
That was the greatest thing that I have seen on the daily show in some time. Cramer was like a kid caught with his hand in the candy jar, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, wahhhhhh"

Stewart was relentless, good for him.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
Man, Cramer was pathetic. I kept wishing he'd try and stand up for himself, even just a little bit.

Stewart's just riding the Wall St. bashing wave, to a point where even he had to say, (my paraphrase) "I know some of these guys. They're friends of mine, and they work hard trying to do the right thing." He does live in NY after all.

Cramer did say something useful, "Nobody complained while the mkt was going higher until '07." Again, my paraphrasing.

Nature of bubbles. Same is true for people buying, flipping, and "investing" in the housing market. It was all sunshine and bubblegum 'til it wasn't. People buying all the houses have a share in the responsibility as well as Wall St.

Picking on CNBC endlessly seems a little lame, while the NYT and many others that supposedly cover the financial world are equally "guilty" of not realizing the risk.

For me, and I'm typically a Stewart fan, it was more of a cringe-fest to watch and a boat load of Monday morning (or perhaps, in this case, bitching about last season) quarter backing and outrage...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
For me, and I'm typically a Stewart fan, it was more of a cringe-fest to watch and a boat load of Monday morning (or perhaps, in this case, bitching about last season) quarter backing and outrage...
X2

as much as i liked the content, the presentation seemed like i was watching gloria allred & ann coulter share a dry, electrified double ender

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
X2

as much as i liked the content, the presentation seemed like i was watching gloria allred & ann coulter share a dry, electrified double ender
wow...just, um, wow. :shocked:

as far as analogies go, i think you've created a new zenith for man kind

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
He's good, he's very f*cken good. That was a career killer for the other bloke. I hope it doesn't give Stewart too much of a big head. Probably will though.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
looks like you're saying you could NOT watch the whole thing.
I'll have to go back and watch the rest later.

I felt sorry for Cramer, and I shouldn't. It's like watching a Holocaust movie and feeling bad for the guard at the death camp when his kid dies.

Last edited: