Quantcast

The Day after Tomorrow (movie review)

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
Originally posted by N8
I can't believe you paid to see it....

You can cut this out and paste it on your forehead now...

L
hahaha i thought it looked cool. world destruction. how can ya go wrong with a movie like that ?!?!

i guess someone showed us how. :(

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Damn....

my brother's friend's friend...(um...yeah...that's right), actually worked on that movie. I'm ASSUMING that since the guy was a computer effects guy, and he was working in Montreal at the time, that it's the same place that did the CGI stuff for Jurassic Park.

But my. My bro was telling me about the movie last summer. Too bad. The end of the world is always fun....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The director sucks - Independence Day was retarded... I don't see how this could be any better :o:

At least this is putting heat on Bush's pathetic environmental record. I saw some interviews with republican outdoorsmen and environmentalists (damn those actually exist?) and they said they are going to vote for Kerry :thumb:

brenth

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Santa Monica
Originally posted by MMike
Damn....

my brother's friend's friend...(um...yeah...that's right), actually worked on that movie. I'm ASSUMING that since the guy was a computer effects guy, and he was working in Montreal at the time, that it's the same place that did the CGI stuff for Jurassic Park.

But my. My bro was telling me about the movie last summer. Too bad. The end of the world is always fun....
actually, there were no companies that worked on day after tomorrow in Montreal ( that are credited), and ILM in NorCal did jurassic park, and worked on this film, so maybe he worked there? Its funny I had a few friends work on this movie, and they told me not to go see it. :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by arsenic
hahaha i thought it looked cool. world destruction. how can ya go wrong with a movie like that ?!?!

i guess someone showed us how. :(
Well, the whole concept of the movie is that the world goes into a new ice age (because of global warming:confused: ) over a period of 7 or 8 days...which, could be neat and all, but it just ends up being stupid.
Remember in independance day (which is odd because someone in this thread said it was the same director or something) how all those national monuments get taken out by the aliens? Well, for one reason or another (not explained) the weather patterns apparently have the same agenda. Taking out such landmarks as the "hollywood" sign and the Statue of Liberty :rolleyes: (which is interesting because the folks that wrote this movie are about as anti-establishment as they come, given the extremism of the movies agenda:rolleyes: )
Anyway, all the carnage and special effects, if not so cheesily thought out, could've been neat, but all these ANNOYING subplots ruin the entire movie. Essentially it ends up being about the Dr. who discovered the phenomenon starting and his kid trapped in NYC and his wife trying to save a little bald cancer kid who is so cute I want to stab my eyes out with a hammer. (sadly he lives:rolleyes: )
Anyway, when I say the movie has an agenda, I dont even mean with the environmentalist stuff...but just mostly anti-republican stuff, ie. illegal immigration, latin american debt, things of that nature. Because, essentially the roles are reversed and Americans start "crossing the Rio Grande" to get into mexico to get away from the winter, and I guess we're all supposed to have the realization of "Hey, y'know, the mexicans are just poor guys trying to get away from something too" which may or may not be true, but I dont like my politics shoved down my throat from 2nd rate summer blockbuster wannabe's with 3rd rate actors.
Ok, and then there's the whole CGI think that is really just starting to piss me off. There are these wolves that escape from the zoo after one of many meteorological attacks on NYC breaks their cage. Well, you know they're going to come into play at some point, and it just happens to be when they guys are looking for some penicillan for the hot chick who's infected. Anyway, how hard is it to train a dog or a a wolf to chase people? HOW HARD IS IT HOLLYWOOD? Cause these wolves looks STUPID! And they didnt even have to....but they all died anyway.
Ok, so back on track, this big storm over north america is supposed to take out everyone above Washington DC essentially, cause they eye of the storm drags super cold air down from the "stratosphere" and freezes people on contact. Otherwise, the storm is no worse than 7 days of snow really, but the eye of the storm only comes down over NYC (hey go figure:rolleyes: ) and then the storm disipates...so Im left wondering...Is this even apocolypse at all? Cause I dont see how many people even died.
Its retarded. Dont waste your money.

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Well, the whole concept of the movie is that the world goes into a new ice age (because of global warming:confused: ) over a period of 7 or 8 days...which, could be neat and all, but it just ends up being stupid.

.... snip ....

Its retarded. Dont waste your money.

thanks. man i wanted to see this thing. i just saved a couple hours of my life and 20 bux or so.

this thing really does sound stupid lol

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ok so most of the movie was filmed in Montreal. My bro's friend was an extra in the movie. And HIS friend is a freelance special effects guy. Worked on Saving private ryan, independance day etc...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i watched a show on one of the learning channels on cable years back.... Anyways they were drilling in the ice of antarctica and taking core samples. Just like a tree every layer is a year where they can somehow find out what the average global temperature was for that year. Anyways they found out that for the last hundred thousands of years the temperature fluctuations has been tremendously drastic from hot to cold. We are smack dab in the middle of a lull.
Amazing something so simple as the temperature raising 20 degrees one way or the other, on average everywhere can inevitably end the world "as we know it".

meh shouldn't have figured a disaster movie would be good in the first place, it's a precedence for disaster flicks to be cheeseball summer eye candy, no more no less......