The Fat Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by jonKranked, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    336 / 2,801
    this thread will be for ongoing discussion on obesity related topics, especially government related ones.

first, Palin attacks the first lady's initiative to help promote healthier lifestyles:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/24/martin.michelle.obama.palin/index.html?iref=allsearch

now, research indicating that obesity is a growing problem (no pun intended) for the military:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/12/06/frum.obesity.military/index.html?hpt=C1

one fact that really stuck out:

#1 -   Dec 6, 2010

Please register to disable this ad.

2. stoney

stoney Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde

Rep/Likes:
    108 / 879
    Fat people bother me. Not overweight, fat. In the obese range. 20-30# overweight: That's bad, but when you can't walk up stairs, or even work, you don't have a medical problem. You have an eating problem. I propose we stop supporting them. Cut them off, and watch them figure it out.

#2 -   Dec 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pesqueeb

Pesqueeb bicycle in airplane hangar

Rep/Likes:
    380 / 2,565
    I must take a picture of our local hangar fattie. 650+lbs. I like the guy and all, I’ve known him for almost 10 years, but damn. Not only does his weight cause all the obvious health issues, but there is a “hygiene” and “odor” issue which I’m pretty sure is related to the logistical challenge of keeping that much real estate cleansed. Sad part, in relation to the stat you quote, is he was a 12 year air force guy who probably would have stayed career except he couldn't make weight.

#3 -   Dec 6, 2010
  4. Fool

Fool Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 70
    That's nearly 4 mes. I could get a lot of **** done and have ample riding time if there were 4 mes.
    McRib with extra bacon, here I come!

#4 -   Dec 6, 2010
  5. stoney

Rep/Likes:
    108 / 879
    I just don't get it. Even eating poorly, on new drugs with weight gaining side effects, and with zero exercise for the last 4-5 months, I only gained about 25#. My body seemed to hit a stable weight. I just don't know how you can get that fat.

#5 -   Dec 6, 2010
  6. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    411 / 2,557
    Everyone is differfent. Bad diet and no exercise and I will gain 5lbs a week.

#6 -   Dec 6, 2010
  7. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    Here's another good one.

Almost 10 Percent of U.S. Medical Costs Tied to Obesity

I'm a numbers person, so when I see something like 147 billion I get sick to my stomach.

#7 -   Dec 6, 2010
  8. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    336 / 2,801
    This is more than just us not liking the lazy.

At what point does obesity become such an issue that the government needs to intervene?

And what are the implications of things like corn subsidies for farmers?

#8 -   Dec 6, 2010
  9. 4xBoy

4xBoy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 31
    Sadly I think we already passed the point where Government should have stepped in to say you are fat and lazy.

Subsidies are a great failure, although if they didn't exist some things would be hard to get people to grow.

#9 -   Dec 6, 2010
  10. Pesqueeb

Rep/Likes:
    380 / 2,565
    At one point a couple years ago the person in question had been put on some experimental metabolism boosting drug (employer provided “healthcare” turned him down for gastric bypass/lap band). He was on it for about three months before one day I noticed he looked like he was starting to shed some weight, so I mentioned it. He proceeded to tell me he had lost 180 lbs. Before I could even think about I said “Holy sh1t Dave that’s more than I weigh!” He took it well enough, but you could barley tell he had lost any weight, never mind 180 lbs. He was on the local news when all this was going on talking about his “struggle”. I’ll fish around and see if I can find video.

*edit: best I could find
    http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/34184734.html

#10 -   Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  11. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel There is no Justice!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Shock collars. Lots and lots of shock collars.

I was grabbing a pizza at Papa Murphy's on Friday and there was this chick (about 5'5" 275 or so...) in front of me. She called in an order for just about the most unhealthy thing they make...some huge meat meat meat cheese cheese cheese behemoth. She then asks if they have any salads other than the Italian one...they say yeah, a vegetarian. She takes one of those and asks for lo-fat dressing. Just buy the salad and f*ck the pizza...all of a sudden most of the health problems you probably suffer from will be reduced 10-fold.

Obesity really is an epidemic. All it takes is simple math skills and a few minutes to figure out how many calories you eat in a day and how many you burn. Pay attention for a week and average it.

But that's asking too much I suppose.

12. BurlyShirley

BurlyShirley Rex Grossman Will Rise Again

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Three things:

1.) Staying in shape is work, and most people are lazy.

2.) Food is cheaper now than ever before, so Americans are free to indulge almost as much as they like, unlike in past times when you actually had to budget for food.

3.) It is both more expensive and more work to eat well.

I see no realistic solutions to any of these problems, because people dont actually care about their health until they realize they're dying, and by then it's too late. And government intervention in the public's diet will only piss people off, so nobody's going to touch this when being re-elected is priority #1.

13. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 0
    1-Yes. I have a fast metabolism, but as I'm getting older it's slowing down. This leads to decisions like, "I like onion rings, but they are ****ing horrible for me. Maybe, since I had them last night, I'll pass on them for a month." Along with exercise-I had my ass on the trainer last night at 10pm, and it wasn't because I wanted to do it. I had Old Raspustins in the fridge, and would have much rather sucked back a couple of those.

It's somewhat annoying when people say, "You're so lucky you're thin!" Yeah, if you count not eating 7500 calories a day and getting 10-12 hours of exercise a week lucky, I guess you're right.

2-This is also true. It seems like a big ass bag of chips costs less than a couple of raw ****ing potatoes. How is that even possible?

3-Also true. Eating processed food is much easier than making it from scratch. Have you ever made a pizza from scratch? By the time you get the dough done and the sauce made, you're looking at a couple of hours, plus the mess. Pizza Slut is 20 minutes to your door, and the remains go out in the trash in 5 seconds.

Just look at Sarah ****ing Retard Palin taking shots at Michelle Obama over cookies. Bang on, BS.

14. Westy

Westy the teste

Rep/Likes:
    411 / 2,557
    I can't remember the exact numbers, corn and soy subsidies reduce the cost those items by a good 50%. 75% of the sugar and fat calories Americans consume originate from Corn and soy. Something like 30% of the calories we eat are pad for by the Gubment. Those calories are almost always the high fat empty carb types that just make people fat and diabetic.

15. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    I think this is the primary reason for obesity, personally.

I know so many lazy people who are winded just walking from their desk to the fridge and back.

You don't have to be an Ironman competitor, but good god, at least be mobile.

16. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    165 / 1,287
    Bad food is often much cheaper and more available than foods that don't suck.

That being said, I used to bust my ass to lose a few pounds and when I would stop paying attention, it would creep up. The biggest change was when I went from the Navy to the National Guard. I was 250lbs in the Navy, I was 235lbs after the first few months of OCS.

I went inactive and was waiting for my ETS when I was activated for Katrina. Having not been active for 4 months, almost none of my uniforms fit and I was a fat bastard again. Then came the divorce.

The last straw was in February when I had to buy new pants for my dad's funeral. None of my dress pants fit, so my (then) ex-wife measured me at a 46" waist. I went to my doc soon after and was 292lbs. My new all time high! He took me off the meds I was on and I started paying attention to my diet.

To be honest, I haven't been all that active, but switching to better meds (my doc thought I would gain) and watching how much I ate, I managed to drop weight. I have been 210-215 since August and am just now starting to increase my activity level since it doesn't suck to sweat anymore.

My conclusion is simple math. Calories in - Calories burned = results. If you are lazy, eat less.

<edit> As a reference, I was 6'4" and 175lbs at 19 when I joined the Navy and haven't been sub 220 since Desert Storm.

#16 -   Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  17. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    I watched this documentary a couple years ago, corn is F'ing crazy

18. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    At my old job, I was considered a "freak" because I rode my bike. At all.

Apparently, their answer to weight loss was to not eat, smoke and never exercise. It didn't work too well.

19. BurlyShirley

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

Think about what a ridiculous circle this is.

We pay tax dollars to subsidize farmers who grow these foods. Then our health insurance rates increase because of obesity related issues CAUSED by the foods we subsidize...and we pay for that. Then we pay more tax dollars for all the fat people on disability who cant work or walk because of the foods we subsidized. Then we more pay even more tax dollars for the government to "fight obesity" while at the same time still subsidizing the original f*cking problem.

20. stoney

Rep/Likes:
    108 / 879
    Stop using logic. Do you kno how bad that isht is for you?

21. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel There is no Justice!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I can not tell you how many people at my old job were absolutely shocked (chin-to-floor type shock) that I rode my bike into work and back at least twice a week. In the summer I would make it all 5... this completely blew their mind. True it was 17 miles each way, but it was actually faster than taking the bus (1 hour for the bike, 1.2-1.5 for the bus). And while doing that, I couldn't eat enough....I devoured anything in sight and still lost 5lbs a week, until I stabilized....but damn.

Laziness indeed...

22. KavuRider

KavuRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 3
    Back when I graduated, I up and quit the job I had. I got a job at a bank, great job. But it was about 15 miles from where I lived. I didn't have a car, didn't even have a driver's license yet. So I rode my Karpiel Apocalypse (yes, 13" travel DH bike) to work and back everday. Only bike I had and I was barely making enough to survive.

People I worked with were the same way. Complete and utter shock that I rode a bike. I took it as a compliment that they had no idea I was commuting by bike.

23. ohio

ohio The Fresno Kid

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 2
    So I have never had a conversation with anyone who advocated subsidizing corn and soy. And I go out of my way to disagree with people. And I grew up with a number of corn and soy farmers (family farms, not industrial). Can someone, anyone, explain the argument for these subsidies? Even if you don't agree with it, what IS the argument from that side? Is it a foreign trade thing?

24. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    149 / 1,399
    Yup

Protekt R jobzzz!!!!

It's a weird holdover from decades ago but you'll be damned if you can find a midwestern senator who will even let it come up for debate.

25. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 0
    No, Cargill and ConAgra will start lobbying to protect the subsidies of the "American Farmer."

American voters think of the stereotypical almost non-existent "family farm" and say yes!

Then they have a HFCS laced Coke and STFU.

26. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    149 / 1,399
    Plus that :)

27. jimmydean

Rep/Likes:
    165 / 1,287
    Where I work it's very bike friendly. I would say about 50% of Engineering rides to work at least a little. Some shops I've worked, not so much.

28. AngryMetalsmith

AngryMetalsmith Business is good, thanks for asking

Rep/Likes:
    293 / 1,644
  29. mattmatt86

mattmatt86 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    In that documentary I posted, the two guys go through the entire process of growing corn and bringing it to market; only on a much smaller scale, they cultivated 1 acre of corn. At the end of the movie they show that without gov't subsidies it costs far more to actually grow 1 acre of corn than what the current market values for it was.

30. kidwoo

Rep/Likes:
    149 / 1,399
    I just watched that on netflix streamthing.^^

That movie sucked. I need to make documentaries. Those guys were hacks.

31. Pesqueeb

Rep/Likes:
    380 / 2,565
    I watched it a couple weeks ago. I liked it. Sure, it wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either.

32. amishmatt

amishmatt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 221
    Which is why farms are getting bigger. But then they're labeled "factory farms."

Add to that the fact that a farmer's annual income depends on bringing those crops to market, and one drought/hurricane/flood can destroy an entire year's crop makes it a pretty risky business to be in. Subsidies and government crop insurance/disaster aid help alleviate some of that risk and provide incentive for somebody to grow our food for us, in our country.

Anyway, good intentions in the beginning, but modern agribusiness and their lobbyists are running the show, add in world trade politics and... well, you know the rest.

If people paid the real cost for food at the grocery store, they'd buy healthier food.

33. amishmatt

amishmatt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 221
    Dollars to doughnuts none of them were double counted.

34. manimal

manimal Ociffer Tackleberry

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 13

haha...back in 2001-2002 i rode my stinky six (8" with BETD rockers arms) with a monster T and dual 24x3 gazzalodis to work everyday...about 8 miles one way. people gave me the weirdest looks but i had a blast hucking stairgaps on my lunch break ;)

when i was in the marines i was always at war with their weight standards (most strict among the services). i was always over the max weight for my height but i was good as long as i taped in at 18% bodyfat or less. unfortunately for me, my body composition isn't very well suited to the way that they measure body fat (neck/waist ratio) so i was always getting hassled. the issue, however, was that i consistently ran a 1st class fitness test (21:00 3 mile run, max situps, and 18-19 out of a max 20 pull ups). it was obvious that i wasn't out of shape, i just didn't fit the top-down wedge body composition that they required. i was going to reenlist but got tired of being hassled about my weight. i had to petition the top brass on the base for a hydrostatic bodyfat test just so i could get promoted. they agreed and my assumption was proven correct...i was 16% bodyfat in the tank as opposed to the taping method that put me at 21%. i've always been a pretty "thick" dude (5'10" 230...hence the local nickname of "tubby") but i'll be damned if i ever get to the point where i can be accused of being unfit or unable to run somebody down.

so anyway...i can't stand to see someone park in the handicapped spot just because they're obese...handicap spots should be reserved for people who CAN'T HELP the reason that they're disabled. i can't begin to keep count of the people i deal with at work who are abusing the public housing and disability system by not working, fraudulently collecting unemployment benefits, and claiming disability for obesity! perhaps the bigger underlying problem in this nation is the entitlement attitude that has taken over most of my generation. "i'm entitled to [eat] however much i want, when i want because i deserve it"

#34 -   Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  35. 4xBoy

4xBoy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 31
    +1

I have seen some real classic examples of this while riding around.

36. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    336 / 2,801
    tell that to palin. ;)

but i absolutely agree. before we know it we're gonna hear some nutjobs screaming about how its their right to play russion roulette

37. jimmydean

Rep/Likes:
    165 / 1,287
    Manimal, you should have joined the Navy, the neck/waist measurement was a lot more relaxed. There was a guy on my boat that was so fat, he had to have extra material sewn into the ass of his uniforms because they didn't make them to fit, but he measured out every time.

3 mile runs are for crazy people. I was pissed when I went from 1.5 miles in the Navy to the Army 2 mile run.

38. LOOnatic

LOOnatic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 2
    Hucking Race lines at WindRock while i wait for jo
    Down here in the deep south there are so many super fatty's collecting disability ..:rant:
    To top it off you usually will hear them railing against " big government" and how much bloated government programs need to be cut.
    All this while snarfing down a 20pc chicken nugget meal and 3 large frosties from Wendy's.

:shakefist:

After a ride the other day me and the bros hit up a popular local joint known for really tasty and very large burgers.
    As we order a very obese 20ish year old guy hobbles in on crutches due to his size. He plops down and 5 minutes later his dad(600-800 lbs) comes in on a wheel chair along with their skinny(300lbs) helper/friend guy. The dad has the oxygen tank and the whole "fat-kit" going on.
    As i'm trying to eat and becoming disgusted just looking at the guy i couldn't help but wonder how in the world do people afford it?
    You can't even walk 20 feet so how can you afford to not work and become so dam fat?

39. BurlyShirley

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Funny thing... Im in much better shape now than I was in the military. I was always well within weight standards and a good PT'er, but I just hated the organized PT, and I hated going to the gym on base, so I never really lifted.

Now I go 4 days a week and I really enjoy it. I used to think I didnt have time to do that (or Id use the time thing as an excuse) but once I started battling anxiety/stress issues it became imperative that I pretty much drive myself into the ground several days a week or else I'd have an "episode". So, I get up at 5:30 am, work out at the gym for an hour or so, and then get to work around 7:15. I also get in one good hike a week and don't drink any except for weekends (a few beers maybe). Have been going strong with this routine since August and I feel great. Weened off of the ativan too, which was a challenge, so Im definitely going to stick with this. No real riding to speak of, except on the trainer.

#39 -   Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  40. AngryMetalsmith

AngryMetalsmith Business is good, thanks for asking

Rep/Likes:
    293 / 1,644
    If you are capable of walking then you shouldn't park in handicapped parking. When I was having major gout flare-ups and had to use a cane and could barely walk I didn't get a handicapped placard because, despite the unreal, debilitating pain I was in I could still walk, not well but I was still capable. Fvck lazy bastards who park in handicapped spaces who can walk. Reserve them for those who truly need it. And I hope I never do.