Quantcast

The Garden Thread!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Alright you Californians - give it up. How's the garden going? We've been having some great garden weather as of late and the following goodies are up:

Peas - 10" tall for the most part
Green beans - just breaking through
Lettuce
Spinach
Kale
Yeller squash
Zukes
Eggplant
Bell pepper
Tomatoes (mortgage lifter, lemon boy, cherry, san marz, brandywine)
Pumpkin
Herbs of many kinds and flavors (including another attempt at rosemary)

Yesterday the wife and I planted a $hitload of flowers - in barrels, porch troughs, pots, in the garden... pretty much everywhere.

Mulched the $hit out of everything, watered and now we watch it grow...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I planted this thus far:

Purple basil (in the ground)
regular basil (in pots about a month ago)
cilantro plant + some seeds, we'll see how they do.
2 tomato plants
2 cukes
1 squash
1 zuke.

Last year's rosemary and sage are doing terrific but the oregano plant bit the dust. Oh well.

BillT

Monkey
I have to big planter boxes and I've planted the following so far:

3 types of Basil - sweet, cinnamin, itallian
Greek Oregeno
Lavender (blooming right now!)
2 Rosemary hedges
Chervil
Cilantro
2 types of eggplant - black beauty and white (very nice looking fruit)
Orange bell pepper
Thyme
Arugala
5 types of tomatoes - Grape, Roma, Better Boy, Yellow, Yellow Pear

I overplanted on the tomatoes as they got much bigger than I thought they would. I'll get some current pictures posted later today or tomorrow.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
I live in NY, my garden is about 12' x 30' growing corn, tomato's, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, radishes, lettuce, celery, onion, garlic, and zucchini. Even starting a strawberry bed this year. Everything but the garlic & strawberries are from seed. Right now I have over 150 plants indoors waiting to be put into the garden. I don't even like 3/4's of the things I grow, I just enjoy growing it and giving it to friends.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn, dude. Living in CA and no garden? Bummer.
SF is not all warm and sunny ya know...anyway I've never been that much into it even when I had the space, just never wanted to spend my free time that way. And I know it doesn't compare to growing your own but there are three pretty good markets within 3 blocks of my house, and many more around town, including a worker-owned cooperative specializing in "beyond organic" produce.

BillT

Monkey
I overplanted with the tomatoes so now I have a forest of them. I didn't think they would get as big as they did - next time I'll plant 3 or 4 instead of 5.

The forest:

Some grape tomatoes in the process of ripening:

Orange bell pepper plant:

White eggplant. They look like giant white jelly beans. I'm going to grill one up tomorrow!

Some blooming cilantro:

Chervil - a fancy French parsley. This one didn't want to live unless I drowned it with water.

Blooming lavender:

Greek oregeno in the front, sweet basil, cinnamin basil, and then more sweet basil in the middle, and the lavender in the back:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Minimal this year. Herbs, some squash, almost no tomatoes.

Strawberries are fighting for their lives.

Of course, I had to plant some table grapes. Those 3 vines are doing great.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Right now my planted garden is in the preparatory stages. However the wildlife garden consists of 2 hens and a tom :biggrin: