Quantcast

The Hot Sauce thread...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
All of these years, and I don't see a hot sauce thread!
Anyhoo, I thought I had a 'decent' tolerance for heat (not into Dav'e Insanity type sauces, just flavorful stuff),
Tried an El Yucateca XXXtra hot sauce that seemed WAY hotter than when I tried it previously. Has anyone experienced the same brand/flavor varying in heat a ton?
What's your favorite, and for what?
(I know, pretty generic, but hey, gotta start somewhere!)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my favorite this days is gringo bandito. good flavor, right amount of heat. sometime somewhat recently they released a super hot version (obv more heat), and a green sauce. all worth trying.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
All of these years, and I don't see a hot sauce thread!
Anyhoo, I thought I had a 'decent' tolerance for heat (not into Dav'e Insanity type sauces, just flavorful stuff),
Tried an El Yucateca XXXtra hot sauce that seemed WAY hotter than when I tried it previously. Has anyone experienced the same brand/flavor varying in heat a ton?
What's your favorite, and for what?
(I know, pretty generic, but hey, gotta start somewhere!)
That's what I put in my eggs every morning and on tacos. I keep a bottle at home and one in the studio. I've been into hot sauce since I was a wee little shit. That is one of the best I've had and I've tried a lot of hot sauces. One of my main criteria for hot sauce is that vinegar not be the second ingredient listed and better if has none at all but instead uses citrus for the acidic component. Another criteria is a balance of heat and flavor. While El Yucateco has no complicated ingredient list it has a great smoky flavor due to the habaneros being roasted. It is also a very underrated hot sauce and can be purchased for a relatively cheap price in Tiendas or grocery stores with a good Hispanic section.

If you like the flavor but the heat is too much, add it as you are cooking the dish. Cooking a hot sauce will reduce the heat a bit. If you don't believe me, just make some scrambled eggs. Make one normal and put the El Yuceteco on after plating. Then try it by adding the same amount of hot sauce to the eggs just before you beat them. See for yourself.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I love hot sauce. There isn't much food that I won't put it on. Probably have 4-5 varieties in my fridge right now.

Blair makes good stuff regular to super hot but with lots of flavor. They also sell spices, collectors extracts, and great hot potato chips: http://extremefood.com/Death-Sauce/
Can confirm the Blair's Death Rain (or whatever they are called) habanero chips. They are goooooood but god damn are they hot.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
In no particular order
Melinda's, Savina and also the Naga Jolokia
Secret aardvark habanaro
Tapatío
And because New Mexico, red and green chile for the win on everything!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I've been working through a dozen or so bottles of sauces that I bought down in Baja... this is the current one open in the fridge:

Damn hot it is. Damn hot. I am spartan with the application. Mostly, I put Cholula and everything I want to be a little spicier. Some folks don't like it, has a pretty strong/sweet/tart/tomato flavor but I dig it. I also like Tapatio for breakfast stuff and fish stuff. Ooh... Tabasco green is good on breakie, particularly Greek-style omelettes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Portlands own.

<edit> there is a hot sauce booth at Saturday Market that used to be stocked, but last time I was there he only had about a dozen different sauces. I get my Aardvark from him when I am in the area.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like Franks. It has a good flavor. Plenty hot. Goes with most anything. Blends well in a Bloody Mary. Most folks can handle it. It is cheap also. Available everywhere....

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like Franks. It has a good flavor. Plenty hot. Goes with most anything. Blends well in a Bloody Mary. Most folks can handle it. It is cheap also. Available everywhere....

I am pretty much hooked on dousing the breakfast burritos at work with Frank's. The heat is nice but the acidity from from the vinegar really makes all the other flavors pop. Acidic ions and shit for the win.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I like very spicy sauces as well, but besides ardvark, these are current faves. You can soak burritos with these and it is awesome:
image.png
image.jpeg

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i'm not into gastric distress....
So you're saying you regularly consume peppers then?

It is a long-standing myth that spicy food exacerbates ulcers and other stomach ailments. But research shows hot chili peppers actually protect the stomach lining and may prevent the gastric damage associated with anti-inflammatory painkillers. They are high in nutrients such as calcium plus vitamins A and C, and there’s some evidence that hot chilies can reduce cardiovascular disease risk, help prevent diabetes and boost metabolism. They may also have some ability to prevent cancer.
http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/healthy-eating/why-spicy-food-is-good-for-you/