Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What bothers me the most is the fact that this kid was mauled AT HER GRANDMAS HOUSE BY HER DOGS. It's not like she was attacked by a neighbors dog, or a pack of wild dogs roaming in the streets, she was in the back yard of her grandmas house and her grandmothers dogs didn't want to play nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
re: judging people on welfare:

We didn't deserve to be poor, any more than we deserved to be rich. Poverty is a circumstance, not a value judgment.

So if you ever find yourself questioning a poor person with a cellphone, or a lady on food stamps still getting her hair done — also a criticism lobbed at Katrina Gilbert, a poor single mother in Chattanooga who did all the right things and still struggled to get by — then consider that perhaps the person with the f*cked up value system is you.
http://jezebel.com/white-lady-drives-mercedes-to-pick-up-food-stamps-chao-1602521193/+pgeorge

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
re: judging people on welfare
What say you about the people paying for milk and bread with foodstamps in one transaction, then pulling a roll of $20's out of their pocket to pay for big screen TVs and designer clothing in another transaction? I have witnessed this first hand a few times.

The article you posted is clearly not this case at all...but it's what made me think of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What say you about the people paying for milk and bread with foodstamps in one transaction, then pulling a roll of $20's out of their pocket to pay for big screen TVs and designer clothing in another transaction? I have witnessed this first hand a few times.

The article you posted is clearly not this case at all...but it's what made me think of it.
i know what welfare fraud looks like.

i wonder why, if, has anyone considered the potential impacts of drug legalization on welfare fraud?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
JM needs to cut off her beautiful tits with a rusty putty knife (hope she's had her tetanus shots).

no winners, but i don't see another way out

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Meanwhile in Texas...

A recent decision from the Texas Supreme Court has ruled that at-will employees can't sue their employer for fraud over the loss of their jobs. In his opinion, Chief Justice Nathan Hecht held that "while an employee can sue an employer for fraud in some situations... [a] claim cannot be based on illusory promises of continued at-will employment."
Hmm, those Koch brothers are some serious job creators.

DuPont assured its employees that it had absolutely no plans to sell the spin-off. Based on this promise almost everyone moved to the subsidiary, which a few weeks later DuPont sold to Koch Industries. Koch cut both salaries and retirement packages. DuPont had, as it turns out, been negotiating this deal the entire time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Walmart is changing its image.

With a new dress code and everything.

Walmart is switching up their employee dress code, but that doesn't mean they're footing the bill for the new uniforms. Even though 30,000 Walmart employees make minimum wage, they're responsible for purchasing navy or white collared shirts and khaki or black pants, capris, or skirts if they don't already own them.
But they are getting new vests for free.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can't trust nobody these days!

They're often pegged as the civic-minded, do-gooding generation. But while they're still optimistic about their own personal prospects, a new study finds that today's youth are often more skeptical of the country's institutions than the young generations that preceded them.
I think its a combination of informational awareness and upbringing. My daughter has been raised to think for herself, but to also look out for others best interests. The reality is that there is a divide that is growing between the kids "in the know" and kids who remain clueless to what is going on. This I blame on the parents.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
How do you define the difference between "vocational training" and work though?

pretty bloody easy for an employer to fudge the lines between those options to get cheap labour.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The law says that unpaid interns are supposed to receive academic or vocational training. If they are doing work, they are employees and are to be paid.
And that's where I ask "Aren't I supposed to be getting some form of training for (insert internship description here)?" And if not, I would quit. If you accept a job as an unpaid intern and are asked to do things outside of what was identified as intern duties, I would simply not do them unless paid.

Its not unlike what Microsoft ended up doing to contractors. Back in the day, you could work at Microsoft as a contractor, you get all the perks the campus offered, you got paid well, but you didn't get stocks or bonuses like employees do. So a group of contractors sued Microsoft, now as a contractor you can work there "no more than one year" and you must be gone for 3 months before returning. This makes a clear separation between "employee" and "contractor". You also get no use of the campus facilities outside of what you do for your job (no playing soccer on the fields, no free lunches, no exercise room access, blah, blah, blah.

This policy has been implemented at Intel, Nike, and any other firms that employ large numbers of contractors. If these conditions don't meet your expectations, too damn bad. :rofl:

My girlfriends dental office has unpaid interns that usually get converted to paid positions, but at the very least they get a lot of training and experience.

<edit> Like Dave was saying, maybe fetching coffee and tapes are what they would do as paid employees, but they need to learn how to do it right the first time.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
While at the tire store today I overheard the techs taking about how the disposable e-cigs have been the cause of 4 flats this week alone.

WTF, like tossing regular butts isn't bad/lazy enough.