Quantcast

The "It's All Bad News" Thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They only got worse with each "episode", so at least we know what's coming.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In Soviet Russia, hacking tools manipulate you!
We shouldn't gloss over this. This hack is an act of war. Just because nothing "blew up" doesn't make it any less so. Everything even kind of connected to the internet in this country is potentially compromised, probably for the foreseeable future. The Russians and FSM only knows who else, were in there long enough to build backdoors for the backdoors that lead to other backdoors. The security of this countries government and infrastructure are now incredibly vulnerable. And make no mistake, the sitting administration aided and abetted this attack either through its GROSS incompetence, through actual malfeasance, or some combination thereof.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We shouldn't gloss over this. This hack is an act of war. Just because nothing "blew up" doesn't make it any less so. Everything even kind of connected to the internet in this country is potentially compromised, probably for the foreseeable future. The Russians and FSM only knows who else, were in there long enough to build backdoors for the backdoors that lead to other backdoors. The security of this countries government and infrastructure are now incredibly vulnerable. And make no mistake, the sitting administration aided and abetted this attack either through its GROSS incompetence, through actual malfeasance, or some combination thereof.
OTOH, our power grid has been vulnerable and penetrated for years from what I've read in the past.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OTOH, our power grid has been vulnerable and penetrated for years from what I've read in the past.
I had a professor in grad school who was doing a bunch of research into industrial hacking and espionage. His assessment was that at any point in time the Russians and Chinese could take down the US power generation, air traffic control, traffic control and water supply any time they wanted to.

My previous employer did a control retrofit for a water municipality in oregon. All you needed to know to log into the control system was an IP address and a basic password like WaTeR123. That IP Address and password was stored in unprotected word documents on the companies Microsoft 365 cloud account.

I could have gone an shut down that water plant, or increased flouride/chlorine amounts to toxic levels or mismanaged the system to cause physical damage.

Which is why I always cringe when I hear people promote the concept of the Industrial Internet Of Things. No, you don't want to have everything on a network. When you need a network make it a local one and fill any open USB/Ethernet ports with epoxy so random idiots or malicious geniuses cannot compromise the network.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had a professor in grad school who was doing a bunch of research into industrial hacking and espionage. His assessment was that at any point in time the Russians and Chinese could take down the US power generation, air traffic control, traffic control and water supply any time they wanted to.
Yup, and no doubt us with their infrastructure as well. MAD for utilities.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

My previous employer did a control retrofit for a water municipality in oregon. All you needed to know to log into the control system was an IP address and a basic password like WaTeR123. That IP Address and password was stored in unprotected word documents on the companies Microsoft 365 cloud account.

I could have gone an shut down that water plant, or increased flouride/chlorine amounts to toxic levels or mismanaged the system to cause physical damage.

Which is why I always cringe when I hear people promote the concept of the Industrial Internet Of Things. No, you don't want to have everything on a network. When you need a network make it a local one and fill any open USB/Ethernet ports with epoxy so random idiots or malicious geniuses cannot compromise the network.

Air gap? What's an air-gap asked the security administrator.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

The EMB175s we fly receive software up dates via a usb that is old school mailed and then uploaded with a computer that has NO way to connect it to the internet, nor has any way to connect to it remotely. Is this slightly unwieldy and slower than it could be? Sure is. Is it safer? Probably. But personally, it's my opinion that safety outweighs convenience in this case. Maybe even more important things like electricity and water ought to be similarly walled off. But, I'm just a dumb aircraft mechanic, so what do I know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The EMB175s we fly receive software up dates via a usb that is old school mailed and then uploaded with a computer that has NO way to connect it to the internet, nor has any way to connect to it remotely. Is this slightly unwieldy and slower than it could be? Sure is. Is it safer? Probably. But personally, it's my opinion that safety outweighs convenience in this case. Maybe even more important things like electricity and water ought to be similarly walled off. But, I'm just a dumb aircraft mechanic, so what do I know.

When I had customers who requested the ability for remote login to automation equipment I would always spec a NAT router that had physical key that issued a unique password each time it was turned on. If they wanted me to remote into their system they had to go turn the key and give me the password.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
20 years ago I worked for a power utility, at the time all of the SCADA systems which controlled the power systems were isolated from the internet. I'm sure that's changed now to the detriment of security.

This SolarWinds hack is a pain in the balls. I'm responsible for a large enterprise solution which uses (used) it and thankfully our systems are isolated from the Internet. But as of right now there is zero faith that the SW software isn't still compromised in some fashion, so all of that monitoring is turned off and we're investigating what other vendor to migrate to...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
20 years ago I worked for a power utility, at the time all of the SCADA systems which controlled the power systems were isolated from the internet. I'm sure that's changed now to the detriment of security.
In my personal experience, no SCADA I have ever met beyond one which turns on the coffee machines has ever had a direct net connection. No freaking way. (Euro power context).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
oh man......I could tell you some stories about that one

But generally speaking "I'm an independent cowboy who ranches/farms on leased gov't land, with free water we've come to expect, rely on subsidies in farm bills to float my ass IE my family built this all themselves, don't need the gov't for nothing and STATE OF JEFFERSON MOTHERFUCKER, WE'RE JOB CREATORS"
Yup. The bootstraps flow like the swans of capastrano.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
one day an uninhabitable, cooked, gaseous, desert sphere will orbit the sun between mars and venus, visible from other galaxies by the reflective sparkle of all the metal shit that forms its ring

there's literally a car circling out there right now just because some narcissist with daddy's blood emerald money wanted to show off

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You done fucked up if you're above Fresno on that list. :fie:
it’s pretty wild considering how expensive it is to live there and how many wealthy areas border it. I just watched a video from the Ring camera of a neighbor where some guy tried three times in a row to break in. He was high and crazy. Cops were called, but it doesn’t sound like an arrest was made.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well it seems that real news is getting harder and harder to access.

All the hard right crap is free and easy to find and is served up ad nauseum, but actual unbiased reporting....ya, that is becoming a bit of a different story.

Reuters is going behind a paywall.

In the long run, for society, I can't see this as a positive as it gets harder and harder to counter the crazy, not to mention just keeping yourself informed.

Journo's gotta eat, bills gotta get paid, so I guess Capitalism gotta capitalism, at least until Fascism gets its shoes tied.

Well it seems that real new is getting harder and harder to access.

All the hard right crap is free and easy to find and is served up ad nauseum, but actual unbiased reporting....ya, that is becoming a bit of a different story.

In the long run, for society, I can't see this as a positive as it gets harder and harder to counter the crazy, not to mention just keeping yourself informed.

Journo's gotta eat, bills gotta get paid, so I guess Capitalism gotta capitalism, at least until Fascism gets its shoes tied.
Reuters seems largely business focused; I seldom look at it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well it seems that real news is getting harder and harder to access.

This reminds me that I need to send a few sheckels to the Guardian.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The Guardian’s opinion pieces increasingly annoy me.

“Should I feed Phoebe and Max organic vegan kale or will their privileged farts be offensive to the differently abled kids at my cross gender affirmative action eco-kindergarten?”

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
The Guardian’s opinion pieces increasingly annoy me.

“Should I feed Phoebe and Max organic vegan kale or will their privileged farts be offensive to the differently abled kids at my cross gender affirmative action eco-kindergarten?”
I still appreciate their long reads, but their opinion pieces border on unreadable and feel like a right winger's cliched idea of lefty politics.