Quantcast

The "It's All Bad News" Thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dude clearly doesn't understand how bad the condition of our infrastructure is
Just referencing an earlier conversation about dismantling low emission hydro power due to ecological concerns, if you missed it.

Most dams are an ecological disaster for fish migration as designed, but they're among the safest cleanest energy source out there. There's a conflicting dichotomy within a lot of the belief systems driving this joint. I'd argue a warming planet is about the worst ecological disaster possible. But then patagonia would lose a campaign and sell fewer fish logos.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just referencing an earlier conversation about dismantling low emission hydro power due to ecological concerns, if you missed it.

Most dams are an ecological disaster for fish migration as designed, but they're among the safest cleanest energy source out there. There's a conflicting dichotomy within a lot of the belief systems driving this joint. I'd argue a warming planet is about the worst ecological disaster possible. But then patagonia would lose a campaign and sell fewer fish logos.
There are other ways to do hydroelectric though too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are other ways to do hydroelectric though too.
For sure. That plant (actually a series of multiple dams along that corridor) won't be replaced with any of them though.

The real reason they're doing this is because the fish ladders cost too much. It's a business decision by the power company.

We've got a population that demands cleaner energy production but that same population, sometimes literally the same people, raise hell about any new construction of any kind. Windmills are ugly and/or kill birds, nuclear is too sketchy, show me any new hydro project in the us built in the last 20 years....

We have legacy infrastructure because we used to be able to build things. Too many nimbys being listened to these days to actually accomplish anything significant. All while we're supposed to magically supply this electrified future...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
For sure. That plant (actually a series of multiple dams along that corridor) won't be replaced with any of them though.

The real reason they're doing this is because the fish ladders cost too much. It's a business decision by the power company.

We've got a population that demands cleaner energy production but that same population, sometimes literally the same people, raise hell about any new construction of any kind. Windmills are ugly and/or kill birds, nuclear is too sketchy, show me any new hydro project in the us built in the last 20 years....

We have legacy infrastructure because we used to be able to build things. Too many nimbys being listened to these days to actually accomplish anything significant. All while we're supposed to magically supply this electrified future...
what do i smoke/snort to think any of it is possible...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks… uhhh, dunno yet. Get back to me on Sunday.
:(
The hate and misogyny on Twatter was next level yesterday. Elon is doing a terrible job. I have deleted my lurker account in protest and signed up for Post.News.
What's Jacinda's replacement looking like?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
What's Jacinda's replacement looking like?
That’s what we don’t know yet. Sunday is first votes in the caucus. None of them are that inspiring tbh. The upside that’s being floated is that Ardern said ‘no capital gains tax whilst I’m leader’ so that may be on the cards, and even more unlikely/hopefully is legalised weed. Basically the progressive left are hoping the Labour party see a pivot to the left as their one shot at not getting fucked over in the next (this year’s Oct) general election.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
@Changleen you ok?

edit: and @DaveW I guess :p
*sigh* we had a good run I guess.
But thanks to this the last 2 days for me have been a nonstop bombardment of emails teams chats & prepping "new minister" briefing papers.
Bound to be a reshuffle of cabinet so I'm getting ahead of the game writing up intel briefs for whoever becomes my new minister.

Re the new PM?
Probably Hipkins, but personally I don't think he's good enough for the job.
Kiri Allen is awesome BUT a real hard task master with low tolerance levels.... She does get shit done though.
Unfortunately Grant Robertson's said no way, kinda a wise move. Keeping his powder dry until post election.
He is by far the best performer in the Labour party (and a really nice guy to just chat to).
McAnulty is too inexperienced and has also declined to run.
Michael Wood just doesn't have the charisma.
I don't really know enough about Megan Woods TBH?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The thing is that in general, they are docile as fuck, and usually only react defensively, even with babies. They have what I call a 'bubble', that once you pierce it's space, game on. Every moose's bubble is different. (except in rut, then all bets are off. )
But animals with rabies often act offensively, and that's the difference. I see moose on basically every third or fourth ride, I know them quite well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The thing is that in general, they are docile as fuck, and usually only react defensively, even with babies. They have what I call a 'bubble', that once you pierce it's space, game on. Every moose's bubble is different. (except in rut, then all bets are off. )
But animals with rabies often act offensively, and that's the difference. I see moose on basically every third or fourth ride, I know them quite well.
They are assholes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dumb assholes at that

Kind of like a white dude with a spartan neck beard in a lifted truck. You never know what's going to set them off. But they're always ready to go.
Too stupid to understand their surroundings and afraid of anything they don't understand.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i will continue to eat the exact same number of worms that I currently do. since that number is zero, i anticipate that i will remain unaffected.
Not if you eat fish…but at least they are cooked worms…unless you eat sushi.