Quantcast

The last person to post a picture from their last bike ride wins access to the white courtesy phone.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It was pretty nuts, but I didn’t ride it. My plan was to ride the chicken line, but my derailleur exploded about 40ft uphill of where my race brain would have told me to abandon that plan stop being such a Mary.

Probably a good thing. That move is in the last few meters of a pretty long stage, and right after a super steep climb/hike to pin your heart rate at 400.

My non-pro buddy rode it without any drama, but a lot of folks ate a lot of shit on that line...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
from Sunday. Rode 1 lap with a buddy, rode another lap solo. parenting duties preventing for doing a full ride in each other's company. Still, it was nice to ride with a buddy. and nice to ride solo.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Rotor burn from this morning's ride.

Edit: This happened as I was raising my seatpost to pedal back up the trail (don't have a dropper). I asked for soap and water from a friend who lived near the trail. Unfortunately, I followed (un)conventional wisdom and put toothpaste as well which apparently is not a good idea. Anyway, there's no swelling or pain and I'll just keep this tattoo until the skin sloughs off.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Rotor burn from this morning's ride.

Edit: This happened as I was raising my seatpost to pedal back up the trail (don't have a dropper). I asked for soap and water from a friend who lived near the trail. Unfortunately, I followed conventional wisdom and put toothpaste as well which apparently is not a good idea. Anyway, there's no swelling or pain and I'll just keep this tattoo until the skin sloughs off.
#1. Well done! :clapping:
#2. what kind of conventional wisdom are you listening to?!?! I've never heard of using toothpaste for burns..
#3. this is a compelling argument for dropper posts. now you can point to you calf while saying to your wife/significant other : "but honey, I need a dropper post; it's a question of safety".

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
#1. Well done! :clapping:
#2. what kind of conventional wisdom are you listening to?!?! I've never heard of using toothpaste for burns..
#3. this is a compelling argument for dropper posts. now you can point to you calf while saying to your wife/significant other : "but honey, I need a dropper post; it's a question of safety".
Third world (un)conventional wisdom. Heard from someone that it works. :busted:
To be honest I don't know how widespread the notion is.

Yes sir, I will show burn mark to my wife and I will save up for a dropper post.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
article from the google machine said:
Modern toothpaste is often filled with harsh whitening chemicals and pungent breath refreshers like peppermint or menthol. While these ingredients might do wonders for your teeth, they aren't the best for applying to damaged skin. These strong ingredients, when applied to the skin, may cause irritation, a chemical burn, or further discoloration, according to Lipstick.com. In the article, dermatologist Ranella Hirsch reported that applying toothpaste to the skin, especially on darker skin tones, can result in long lasting red or brown patches.

From there, the Canadian Red Cross reported that using toothpaste on a burn can actually seal in heat, and prevent the burn from cooling or healing. Instead, their article recommends immediately flushing the burn with cool water to help ease pain and relieve the burn.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Whered you go?

A few buddies want to go to Arkansas to ride, but I have absolutely no idea about the area.
Bentonville, the Back 40 loop. It was ok, steamy as hell but could have been even hotter. They’ve put in a lot of work on the trails I rode. They were nice, not crazy epic, but 25+ miles of singletrack with no repeats is decent and there were other trails that could have been included. Supposedly a DH park just opened to the east and the trails in town are supposed to be pretty nice. Based on what I ride I wouldn’t fly there to ride trails, but if you are in the area it is worth checking out and getting some miles. Probably the best riding in a few hundred mile radius.